Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TWO faulty Fuses???

nz Offline RimfireNZ

TWO faulty Fuses???
on: September 05, 2014, 07:04:29 AM
I was very excited this morning as I found out my two BO Fuses had arrived at work. I've just started holiday leave so I swung by the office to pick them up. Now my old 2007 Fuse has two brothers. I'm set for Fuses for life!... or so I thought.

I was oiling them up for long term storage and I noticed something about Fuse number 1... The lock gets so badly stuck it's almost impossible to put the phillips driver back! Not a huge deal... I figure maybe with wear it'll loosen up... but as it is now you just about have to use pliers to unlock it!

Fuse number 2 was even worse... Leatherman completely forgot to machine the flat driver!

The problems is I can't return either of these as it'd cost me a fortune to ship them, and I can't send it back to the NZ distributor as they'll just send me a second hand Rebar probably (or not at all since I didn't get it from NZ).

Surely Leatherman have people spending at least one minute to open and test the tools? Evidently they're not paying much attention...  :(

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: TWO faulty Fuses???
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:12 AM
The one with the faulty flat driver is sort of a collectible.

I am sure you will find someone here to buy it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:41:27 AM
One of these was to be a backup for me, and the other was going to be a gift, so I didn't get them to sell.
I'm a little reluctant to order two more. I'll probably try sending one of them back to the local distributor and see what they say.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:58 AM
I've not dealt with the local distro but know a few guys who have.
All were replaced with new ones of the same model except for one ST which came back as a ST300.
Give em a call first and see what they say.
You could make up one good Fuse for the gift and trade the factory smurfup.
Oddballs like that are considered teasures here and someone will be happy to sort you out.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:25:58 AM
Very interesting and kind of a bummer with the situation you are in. Makes me wan't to pull out the BO one I just got and see if there is anything like this going on. I kind of wish I had the one with the unfinished flat driver. I find it interesting. You could always email Leatherman with a explanation of your situation and a picture and see what they say. Worst case scenario is your in the same position you are in now.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:29:34 AM
Dremel time!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:27 AM
Dremel time!

Noooo. Sell them to a collector time.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:12 AM
Dremel time!

Noooo. Sell them to a collector time.

I really don't understand why a collector would want this  :-\ it doesn't have a properly functional flat driver.

If someone here particularly wants the wonky flat driver one, they can PM me. Providing I can buy another Fuse (or can swap for a stainless one), I'd just want my $30 back plus what I paid to get it shipped ($8) plus whatever it costs to ship to the buyer... but that does't make sense as that's more than a new Fuse costs!

I'm going away on holiday so won't be here for a week or so. If no one wants it by then I'll be sending it off to LM.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
If I could get them taken to the States for you (for nothing), then posted to Leatherman from there... would that help any?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 02:43:31 PM
That's a bummer man, and a bit much to have two multitools going to the same person being faulty :(  It seems QC at LM must have been dozing off or something for that to happen.  As the Capt has stated, many here will likely find the unfinished flathead driver Fuse to be a sort of collectible.  I'm sure you'll get sorted one way or the other, especially with the helpful folks here :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:34:03 PM
I've had a similar issue with a ST300 years ago where the can opener was not ground.
SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
That would be comical if it wasnt so frustrating.  If it wasnt BO Id probably just grind it myself, but if you do then there is no BO.  Since its such an obvious manufacturing problem, Id try the local distributor, if you get no love then contact leatherman NA directly as it would be hard for them to not accept blame. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 09:07:33 PM

I really don't understand why a collector would want this  :-\ it doesn't have a properly functional flat driver.

You'd be surprised mate, people like one-offs, unique and quirky finishes etc when it comes to these things.

I remember on another forum few years back there was a Wave posted with the same small tools in both handles installed by mistake, so no bit driver+can opener - it sold for double due to its uniqueness not long after its owner posted it and complained about the "fault".

One man's rubbish is another man's treasure  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:09:05 PM by babola »
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 09:07:50 PM
double post, sorry.  I hate the 'modify button' being in that place  >:D

LOL!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

Donations