Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Delemont RangerGrip Issues?

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Victorinox Delemont RangerGrip Issues?
on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:58 AM
Good Afternoon all!

I was looking through the RangerGrip options now as part of the ex-Wenger Delemont range and noticed this 1/5 starts negative review (on http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Pocket-knives-with-lock-blade/Pocket-knives-with-lock-blade-Linerlock-130-mm/RangerGrip-79/0.9563.MC ):

"NEUE KONSTRUKTION
Die erwartete Verbesserung an der Ahle und Dosenöffner sind gut. Jedoch wurde die Griffkonstruktion geändert. Diese schützt nun nicht mehr den Rahmen und Klingenfuehrung. Zudem wirkt es instabil und lässt sich in der Hand "kneten"."

Clearly this was completely useless to me as I cannot read German, so Google Translate spat out this:

"NEW CONSTRUCTION 13 JULY 2014

The expected improvement of the awl and can opener are good. However, the handle design was changed. This no longer protects the frame and Klingenfuehrung. It also acts unstable and can "knead" in hand."

Never know how good the translation is; but has anyone picked up one of these and found these sort of issues?

The closest knife I own is a Wenger Ranger 14, purchased in 2008, which is a bulky thing - not so good for the pocket - but the heavy duty scissors are fantastic. I have a soft spot for one handed opening blades and liner locks, though, so am kicking around the idea of picking up one of these new Victorinox Delemont 130 mm beasts... probably a 78 but maybe a 79 or 61. I'm relatively addicted to the Victorinox 111mm knives.

... and thanks for the welcome on the other thread :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:27:22 AM by Grass »

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Re: Victorinox Delemont RangerGrip Issues?
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:19:07 AM
Klingenfuehrung = blade guidance
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:18 AM
First of all, welcome  :cheers: (I must have missed the other topic  :-[).

Ever since I won a Wenger Ranger 58 here at MTO in a giveaway last year, the 130mm knives have grown on me.  So since then I've bought myself a Wenger Ranger 198 BTS, a Victorinox RangerGrip 179, a RangerGrip 71 (Gardener) and a RangerGrip 55.  Here's the first topic I started about these knives.

First thing I noticed was how thin these Victorinox RangerGrip knives feel compared to the "regular" Wenger knives, though I must say that the 130mm Wengers I own are the ones with the normal scales, so not the ones with the grip parts (so I might just be comparing apples and oranges here ...).  In my opinion, this makes the knife easier to handle, especially for finer work, like woodcarving, or peeling an apple.  So you get the same giant size tools (the knife and saw are just impressive), but in a much slimmer package.

I've not noticed any instability while using it, and with "Diese schützt nun nicht mehr den Rahmen und Klingenfuehrung" I think the writer of the review means that the knife frame and liners stick out above the scales on the back of the knife (my German is not very good, so I might be wrong here ...), but I've just compaired all my Wenger and Vic Rangers and I cannot say there's anything different.

I can only speak for myself, but I really like these new Vic Ranger knives  ;).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:28:44 AM by Top-Gear-24 »

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:38:26 PM
First of all, welcome  :cheers: (I must have missed the other topic  :-[).

Ever since I won a Wenger Ranger 58 here at MTO in a giveaway last year, the 130mm knives have grown on me.  So since then I've bought myself a Wenger Ranger 198 BTS, a Victorinox RangerGrip 179, a RangerGrip 71 (Gardener) and a RangerGrip 55.  Here's the first topic I started about these knives.

First thing I noticed was how thin these Victorinox RangerGrip knives feel compared to the "regular" Wenger knives, though I must say that the 130mm Wengers I own are the ones with the normal scales, so not the ones with the grip parts (so I might just be comparing apples and oranges here ...).  In my opinion, this makes the knife easier to handle, especially for finer work, like woodcarving, or peeling an apple.  So you get the same giant size tools (the knife and saw are just impressive), but in a much slimmer package.

I've not noticed any instability while using it, and with "Diese schützt nun nicht mehr den Rahmen und Klingenfuehrung" I think the writer of the review means that the knife frame and liners stick out above the scales on the back of the knife (my German is not very good, so I might be wrong here ...), but I've just compaired all my Wenger and Vic Rangers and I cannot say there's anything different.

I can only speak for myself, but I really like these new Vic Ranger knives  ;).

Thanks! I will definitely give one a go... :)

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:56 AM
Say Heah Guys, Yeah, I got the Victorinox Delemont Collection Ranger Grip 78,  and I love it, all I needed was to get a new AWL which I over used on my B.O.A. Pocket Knife that was used alot over the years, I really wanted the Aluminum Handle but I didn't know it's name now I do it's the Farmer with the aluminum  handles, But, Boy am I glad I got the S.M.K.W. Catalog, that's where I found my Vic. 78, First of all its a big pocket knife, but I only intend to use it in the bush as I use all my knives. It doesn't have as much of a belly as my friends Wenger Ranger 78 which is the knife I really wanted, but by the time I wanted to pull the trigger I couldn't find one, I even got on a list and then I got a e-mail saying they didn't know how long they will take and suggested other S.A.K.'s, I really didn't like S.A.K.'s because everyone I had I always twisted the tip, I know me bad. Anyhow when I got my Delemont Collection Ranger Grip 78 I have to say I am impressed, like I was saying, my friends Wenger Ranger 78 has more of a belly on the blade, I find for carving a straighter blade forms better, But now on my Skookum Bush Tool I love a curved belly which I have and it's a great carver, but on a pocket knife, well anyhow, I also was happy to get one without a corkscrew, but then a guy on Youtube said he untangle knots with his hmmmmmm, but not only is the main blade lovks, but when you push down on the screwdriver it locks down as a safety percussion which I think it's great, Yeah, I also got a carrying case since I loose my pocket knives, I think it's an awesome site that actually can be used as a backup knife, it's that big and the saw is big too, But I just wanted an Awl, I like using my Lenox Folding Jab Saw for smaller tasks, although the Milwaukee has the fasted blade change, Yeah, I can't see how people can complain about the Ranger Grip 78 it look's like a keeper for me, , ,

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:21 AM
You grasped the reviewers concerns well - He likes the Vic can opener and Awl implemented in the Delemont Ranger over the Wenger ones but thinks the scales (and whole knife) feel less stable than the Wenger ones covering the outer liners edges.
In my experience, the opposite is true. The fact that wenger scales cover the edge of the liner makes them prone to chipping/cracking at this very point when dropped or when hitting something as teh palstic is thin at the edge.
I have no Delemont Ranger, so I cannot compare to teh Wenger Ranger, but I´d liek teh grips to be slimmer on the Wenger ones, so I guess I´d like the Vic Delemont Ranger better. YMMV
In general, I´d say the Rangers are well made, functional knives a bit big for pocket carry.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
I have both, both are awesome! :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99