Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic combo tool?

Quartz · 34 · 3834

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Vic combo tool?
Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 07:33:17 PM
It will do the job, but you can feel it's not really up to it.  Trust me, I run a paint store. ;)  If the lid's on there pretty damn good, like for instance after being on a clamp-type shaker, you'll have a problem. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline Quartz

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 06:17:48 AM
OK, so the loose version of the combo tool I have is the one featured in these two pictures:

I did a cheap strength test buy putting the tang in a vise and then grabbing the end with pliers. Although I can get it to deflect quite a bit (upwards of 20 degrees), after release it always returned back to it's original shape. That is to say, it's rather flexible like a spring. I took it out of the vise and laid it down flat on a table to verify that there's no deformity. It's certainly not something I could permanently bend with just my fingers.

I know this version of the combo tool has a different shape from the 91mm ones, is it also made out of a different type of metal or heat treated differently? In other words, are my findings with this tool invalid vis a vis the version I actually want to use?

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 06:43:32 AM
Trail Guides can be found cheap sometimes.

Im selling one for 12 shipped

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 12:43:52 PM
^^ Absolutely.  Using the bottle opener as a pry bar and paint can opener is something I do multiple times a day at the store.  The combo tool will not handle such use, as my first Bantam found out the hard way.  I will only carry SAKs with a dedicated opener layer at work, and it's also a big reason why I prefer the Explorer to the Yeoman.

Second on that... I've been using the Victorinox 111mm lock flat screw driver/bottle opener on a Dual Pro X for this purpose on some horribly paint-dried older paint tins... they take a beating!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%