Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The real danger of kayaking...

Nhoj · 33 · 2124

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: The real danger of kayaking...
Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 12:37:06 PM
Black bears are pretty common here (Nova Scotia).  The biggest mistake those guys did was to run.  If they had have stood firm, and spoke loud, they all would have (probably) been alright.  Coyotes are also really common here.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:23 PM
Bear attacks aren't too common here, but they do occur every few years.  This was the first fatal attack in 162 years, but not the first attack this year.  Like I said there are bears all over, the last one I saw wasn't out in the deep woods, but crossing a busy rail line near a suburban neighborhood.  He was about 30 yards from me.  Many towns west of here have ordinances regarding securing garbage in bear-proof containers, they're a common issue.

I wonder if an autopsy will reveal the man had a broken knee?

Wasn't me.  I wasn't anywhere near West Milford this weekend!  :angel:

OK, I was in the next town over.  :(  But I have an alibi.........
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:43 PM
I've had a few encounters with black bear while out in the woods. derekmac is right about standing your ground and being big/loud. It has worked for us in the past and for others we know.

Of course, your best bet is to make noise so they know you are coming and be very aware of your surroundings. Bear bells on the backpack and on the dog's collar help (probably drives the dog nuts though). Paying attention, looking around and watching for sign are very important. The bear was probably as startled as they were.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%