Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for a New Desktop and Monitor?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Time for a New Desktop and Monitor?
on: August 20, 2020, 12:19:45 AM
I really want a new, somewhat powerful desktop, and need help picking one out. Walmart's PC selection sucks, and Best Buy is a long drive away from here, so I have to order online.  I don't want to spend too much (over $1000) nor end up with somethin lower end ($500 or under). So, my spending limit is roughly $450-1000, but more accurately, around $700-800.  I really need a few suggestions. I definitely want a PC in which most graphics-intensive games run on the lower limits to the middle of a system's capability, not the very edge as mine do now. So, probably a purpose built gaming PC, instead of a regular consumer model.

As of late, intensive gaming has been putting a lot of thermal stress and high temperatures on my existing desktop and laptop that has probably damaged hardware.  I cleared out a ton of junk, and they still run sluggish. My laptop has been having the worst of the thermal stress issues, often reaching 90 degress Celsius internally. It still runs decently fast for a 10 year old laptop I've owned for 5 that has been used hard.  And, not to mention, hardware has improved immensely since my 2015 Asus and 2011 General Dynamics were made.

Here's what I need:

• At least 16GB of RAM. That seems to be what everyone recommends with how poorly Windows 10 runs
  • Decent processor--Intel i7 or equivalent or above
  • Dedicated Graphics
  • Good cooling, fans, and thermal setup, as my PCs I have now run really hot when used hard)

Here's the questions I have.

All but one HP have had Intel processors; but I hear AMD are so much better; and many of the purpose-built gaming machines I'm looking at have them.

Do I really need a dedicated graphics card?  Many games recommend them, but almost all my PCs had integrated graphics. I am wondering if having a GPU takes much of a load off my RAM and processor. I know for sure it will immensely improve load times.

And monitor. High definition picture, under $20, HDMI connection. About 20-24" in size.

Gonna need help making sure I make the right choice, as with my folks' replacement schedule, PCs are typically a five year thing. Thus, I'll be stuck with it for five years. The only time they made an exception was when I had that Acer that was a POS.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:36:18 AM by cody6268 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Time for a New Desktop and Monitor?
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:30:46 AM
I built a nice system recently. So far no issues. At the very least, might give you some ideas.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83830.0.html

The graphics card is a must. Not only will you get faster responses, they also run a lot cooler these days. My Nivida 1660 Super quite often runs so cool that the fans do not run.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:36:35 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:16 AM
If you can find yourself a not too expensive gamer PC that is pre-built, that would be a good way to go. I found an Asus ROG system on sale at the local Staples years ago, and that computer lasted me from 2013 to 2020. This time around, I decided to build something I couldn't buy anywhere.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 01:43:22 AM
Im not much of a computer guy as I use phone and kindle (tablet) for my internet usage. However, Id recommend looking at newegg. Great place, my uncle whom repairs computers recommended it to me years ago when I was looking at computers. Ive bought several things from there with good service.

Best of luck  :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 01:45:13 AM
At the moment, go AMD not intel, the bang for buck is way better.

As Chako says, go for a separate graphics card, mine are old GTX 980 ti's in SLI, which are two generations old can still keep up with latest titles and VR.

Good advice can be had from jayztwocents, bitwit & gamers nexus on youtube, yes they do build some really expensive PC's but they show budget builds as well.

As for trouble shooting it's jayztwocents I would go to for common sense advice  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:52:07 AM
I think SteveC started a thread about getting a new computer too, though not a gaming one.

I would get something with both HDD and SSD, and make the SSD bigger than you think you will need (I quickly filled mine ::)).

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:52:04 PM
We have Dell ultra wide screens at work and they are awesome.  I've always loved AMD as they have the best value/performance for the $$ especially with Ryzen.

AMD's wraith coolers are  8) 8) 8) 8)
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:23:56 AM

Got myself a desktop PC a few months back, has the following

* AMD Ryzen 7 3800x 8-core Processor
* NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO Lquid CPU cooler
* Gigabite X570 Aorus Elite WIFI ATX Motherboard
* GeIL 32GB RAM (2x 16GB)
* Samsung 860 EVO Series 500GB M.2 SSD
* Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 3.5” 4TB HDD
* Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Aorus 8GB GDDR6

Samsung 49” Curved monitor

Alienware Keybaord

Rat 8+ Mouce.

Use it for my Drone business and of course gaming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 12:31:58 AM
Building one yourself is not that hard, and may save you hundred bucks or so - buy the case and monitor locally (biggest things to ship), then get parts sent.

I have AMD and Intel - I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite (other than personal bias, which goes to AMD. I'm not sure I could actually tell the difference if you swapped the stickers on my machines though)

Someone said it already - but prebuilt gaming machines tend to have completely made up prices, which can mean huge discounts for this or that sale, or when a model hits 6 months old and needs to be off the display room floor to make room for the next marginally better model - depending on how much of a hurry you are in, and how you feel about spending 30 minutes every weekend snooping around PC stores looking for discount stickers for things not advertised online (noting what you said in your post, this is not an option for you - which takes as back to ordering parts and building yourself :) )

And, not to mention, hardware has improved immensely since my 2015 Asus

Debatable, I've got 2 x 2012 (office, not gaming) machines that run more reliably than my 2018 office machine (with dedicated graphics card).
All "reliable" brands.
Almost seems like luck whether or not you get a good computer these days. Someone smarter than me with insider knowledge might be able to pick specific models that are better than others, (the staff in a retail shop sure as smurf can't)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%