Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge hacking?

Quartz · 27 · 2023

Offline Quartz

Surge hacking?
on: September 23, 2014, 09:38:23 AM
How hackable/modable are the outside tools on the Surge? Could you swap out the scissors for another t-shank holder?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Surge hacking?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:54:22 AM
Yes you could.  :tu:

Offline Quartz

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:09 AM
Is there an easy way to get ahold of a second shank holder (without buying another whole surge)? I don't see any on eBay, etc.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:11:30 AM
Try and find some secondhand beaters or ask nicely in the trade section.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:48 PM
I think your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay for a beater Surge that you can sacrifice for parts. I ended up finding one for around $40 that was covered in rust and dirt, but cleaned up pretty nicely. I had previously searched high and low for parts, but Surges just don't get modded as much as Waves/Charges do, so the parts are much harder to come by.

good luck in your search. :cheers:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
Surges just don't get modded as much as Waves/Charges do, ....
AS a light user of MT I think the Surge already is a complete package. maybe heavy users like JA can think of something to improve.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:38 PM
Surges just don't get modded as much as Waves/Charges do, ....
AS a light user of MT I think the Surge already is a complete package. maybe heavy users like JA can think of something to improve.
^this.

The only time I ever modded a Surge was an old model (added extra large bit driver to make it XTi or ALX style and put in ST300 pliers).

There isn't much on the new Surge that I'd want to mod. I can just add accessories to cover any tool it may be missing (and there aren't many in my mind).

What were you planning on doing? What tools are missing and what tasks are you trying to accomplish?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:59 PM

What were you planning on doing? What tools are missing and what tasks are you trying to accomplish?
Could you swap out the scissors for another t-shank holder?

I am not sure I seeing the reason to have two blade exchangers, explain?

Offline Quartz

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:10 PM
I'm a firm believer in having different classes of MTs tailored to a somewhat narrow range of functions. MTs are all about compromise, and I think the compromise of having a couple of leaner more purpose-oriented tools I can grab when I need is better than having a single do-everything monster that's heavy and/or awkward to use. In the case of the Surge, I'm toying with the idea of it replacing my Wave as my "heavyweight". MT-sized scissors are more a medium duty thing for me, and I'd already have them in my EDC anyway, so I was wondering if I could replace them with something else. (On the same token, I'd also be ripping out the inside-handle tools and mounting a screwdriver socket for standard full size bits. I doubt anyone else has done something like that though, so I didn't bother to ask about it).

Offline Quartz

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:43 PM
Or, to put it another way: I have a "medium" EDC SAK with scissors, mini pliers, and a couple screwdrivers and other things suited for typical day to day home/office stuff. It's a little too big and awkward for small electronics work though, so I have a separate "precision" kit for that. My SAK is also not quite up to the task of doing big stuff with thick gloves, so I have a separate "heavy" MT for that too (which is currently a Wave). If I'm doing some other task for a while, I'll swap these tools in and out accordingly. (ie; if I'm out camping or something, the SAK and precision kit get left behind and replaced with a serrated folder).

Offline Quartz

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
I am not sure I seeing the reason to have two blade exchangers, explain?

Forgot to answer this directly:
It would be nice to have like, a metal saw and metal file at the same time without having to keep swapping back and forth. It doesn't HAVE to be another shank holder, it's just that scissors would be a waste of space for how I do things so I'd like to replace them with something else if it's not too much work.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:24:28 PM
The full size bit driver will have to be short and thinned down to fit in. Let us know how you get on.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:34:13 PM
So you will always have your "medium" SAK with you, when called upon, you get the Surge to do the heavy stuff?

I can see your reasoning but to me, MT is more for the unexpected situations, which you won't know what you are going to need exactly, light or heavy.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:43:05 PM
I'm a firm believer in having different classes of MTs tailored to a somewhat narrow range of functions. MTs are all about compromise, and I think the compromise of having a couple of leaner more purpose-oriented tools I can grab when I need is better than having a single do-everything monster that's heavy and/or awkward to use. In the case of the Surge, I'm toying with the idea of it replacing my Wave as my "heavyweight". MT-sized scissors are more a medium duty thing for me, and I'd already have them in my EDC anyway, so I was wondering if I could replace them with something else. (On the same token, I'd also be ripping out the inside-handle tools and mounting a screwdriver socket for standard full size bits. I doubt anyone else has done something like that though, so I didn't bother to ask about it).

you might be surprised what some people around here have tried... :whistle:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 11:58:25 PM

I have one half made to go into a Core, just need to weld it.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:18 AM
I have one half made to go into a Core, just need to weld it.
can't wait to see it. :tu:

Offline Quartz

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:01 AM
you might be surprised what some people around here have tried
The full size bit driver will have to be short and thinned down to fit in. Let us know how you get on.

The "Blasted Thing" idea is neat, but more than I was aiming for. I was just going to like weld something in straight up- no folding or pivot or anything. Turn the handle into a solid block with a bit hole in the end, it's all I really need.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:57 AM
you might be surprised what some people around here have tried

The "Blasted Thing" idea is neat, but more than I was aiming for. I was just going to like weld something in straight up- no folding or pivot or anything. Turn the handle into a solid block with a bit hole in the end, it's all I really need.
Interesting. So like a Crunch eh. Go on then. :pok: :)

Offline Quartz

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:29:18 AM
So you will always have your "medium" SAK with you, when called upon, you get the Surge to do the heavy stuff?

For typical home/office or small contract work, yes. Again, if I know I'm going to be somewhere where I don't really need my SAK, I'll swap it out for a different tool.

I can see your reasoning but to me, MT is more for the unexpected situations, which you won't know what you are going to need exactly, light or heavy.

The thing is for me I hardly ever need to like, randomly repair a fence or something without any warning. I generally have at least some broad idea of what kind of "weight class" I'll need for whatever I'm doing that day. I rarely need a full sized pliers-based MT, so I'm fine leaving the Wave/Surge in my tool bag to grab when I need it. And if I happen to be in a situation where it would be handy but I didn't bring it, "oh well", I'll live. They're just to heavy to justify carrying on my belt all the time, and too awkward with precision stuff to be useful as an EDC for me.

Offline Quartz

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

Wait, was there a version of the Crunch that had a bit driver?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 12:34:39 AM

Yes, all Crunch has it. #11, remove the knob and there it is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:52 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
I dig the random wire stripper too.  :tu:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:10 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
one of the main reasons I love the Crunch! :tu:

well, that and the whole locking pliers thing. :D

Offline Quartz

Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:22:45 AM
Huh, interesting. I never knew that. Too bad the Crunch doesn't do anything else I want.

But yes, looking at pictures, what I have in mind is basically the same as how the Crunch does it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 01:37:17 AM
When I get some spare parts, the next thing on my Surge that will get modded is putting back the small bit driver.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 03:20:35 PM
The thing is for me I hardly ever need to like, randomly repair a fence or something without any warning. I generally have at least some broad idea of what kind of "weight class" I'll need for whatever I'm doing that day. I rarely need a full sized pliers-based MT, so I'm fine leaving the Wave/Surge in my tool bag to grab when I need it. And if I happen to be in a situation where it would be handy but I didn't bring it, "oh well", I'll live. They're just to heavy to justify carrying on my belt all the time, and too awkward with precision stuff to be useful as an EDC for me.

Sounds like you just need some dedicated tools in a small tool box/bag.

Offline Quartz

Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:03 PM
Sounds like you just need some dedicated tools in a small tool box/bag.

Already do :)
I have three separate tool bags: one for computer/electronics repair, one for "handyman" stuff, and another dedicated to my Dremel with its billion attachments and mini drillpress stand thing. My wave gets thrown in any of those bags if I bring them with me, or sometimes I bring it anyway and leave it at my desk / in the car.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%