Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Of small tools, fun and a lot work...

bavaria Offline Humppa

Of small tools, fun and a lot work...
on: September 23, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
Hi guys & gals!

I just wanted to share something.

In my sparetime I use to work on my own building lot (house) and in the woods as well as I help friends and relatives for a nice meal and some beer, of course.

The knife I use to carry the most is my Tinker. It helpened me a lot and is almost worn down. I have done almost everything with this little fellow. From cutting insulation to screwing / unscrewing screws and predrilling holes for furniture for screws not to scratch the surface. As well as food prep and opening some beer now and then. It has done everything just wonderfully and is a great companion to me, almost for the past three years or so.

I never abused it, just put it into honest work. There are scratches all over, dings and cutouts on the red cellidur cales. The Walk And Talk is almost gritty from the little stones, dust and lint of the pocket ;) But it still just works great. The blades are already sharpened down a little, but that´s just usual.

Here are some pics of this steady companion of mine...

Here it lives during the week and during work, the pockets of my working pants. There is a little velcropocket and Tinker fits wonderful in there. Combined with some local snuff...

I just wanted to thank this little fellow of mine for great work during the last few years!

What are your steady companions? I´m looking forward seeing them.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Of small tools, fun and a lot work...
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:02:05 PM
Glad she's still holding up for ya :tu:
SAW

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:33:46 AM
Nice one, thanks for sharing.  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:31:32 AM
Awesome little SAK and great letting us know how well it's served you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:56:00 AM
Great knife and history Andi!!!!! :2tu:

I EDC-ed this Pioneer for about 20 years along with a Champion in my camera bag.

Never failed me and is just as tight and snappy as the day I took it out of my display case in 1983. This is the knife that sold me on 93mm ALOX. It was also my only SAK to survive the '06 wildfire. It's in my collection now but there's always one of it's 93mm brethren close by.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline collim1

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:00:01 AM
I have had a Tinker for years. I carried it and used it daily for a long time before replacing it with an alox model. It's got a great combo of tools and size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:59 AM
Nice to hear of a knife/tool being such a faithful companion. In truth I can't really play this game as I haven't been that dependent (or faithful) on one tool for too long, instead trying out lots of different things over time. As a result I don't really have any steady companions, though there are a few which have had more pocket time than others.

The first was a penknife which used to be my Grandfathers, but that knife is long since lost. Next up was a knife I was gifted when I was in my late teens, which still gets occasional pocket carry now. It's held up remarkably well, partially through my steeling the knife most of the time instead of sharpening it. It's hardly lost any metal off the edge in over 20 years, and is still shaving sharp when I straighten the edge. I sometimes see pics of knives sharpened down to nothing, and wonder just how much of that metal actually needed to be lost  :cry:

After that I bought a cheapo off-brand lock knife which saw a bit of use for a while before I started trying out lots of different stuff, and before I got into SAKs and multitools. I know this might sound odd to those who have a truly faithful tool that is with them everyday, but I don't know that I'd want that. I like to vary things and change stuff according to mood and circumstance, but still come back to the old faithfuls every so often :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:02:39 PM
Thanks for the nice and kind replies, fellows. Great to read the stories about steady companions and occasional usage of tools.

... Keep 'em coming!! ...  :pok:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31