Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are you a Corkscrew person, a Phillips screwdriver person, or neither? And why?

Beery · 106 · 10170

Poll

On the SAK you use most, which tool goes in that slot that can only fit a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver?

Phillips screwdriver
Corkscrew
My SAK doesn't have that slot

england Offline Beery

• Ayup! Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman.
I reckon there are two types of SAK owners out there: those whose SAKs sport a corkscrew, and those who prefer the Phillips screwdriver.

I'm a corkscrew person through and through. I always want my SAKs to have a corkscrew and I'd never put a Phillips screwdriver there, mainly because I rarely use my SAK as a screwdriver, but also because there are other parts of the SAK that can be used for Phillips head screws (i.e. the Victorinox can opener or a slightly modified Wenger nail file).
"See all, 'eer all, say nowt.
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if tha ivver duz owt for nowt,
allus do it fer thi-sen."

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
IMHO Corkscrew is utterly useless (yes, I know, shoelaces, corks, eyeglass SD etc. - still useless) and Philips is slightly less useless with good bite and good torque but pathetic reach.
However the Philips at least has the decency to feel smooth in hand (especially the old Wenger corkscrew sticks out so bad...).
Even more useless I find the fixed SD (you screw an eyeglass using a brick tied to a small metal rod), the chisel (banging handle on wood) and hook (need I say more?)

To me the only backside tool I ever found useful is the awl (the proper Vic one, not Wenger's bouncy metal tooth-pick).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11976.msg790979.html#msg790979

Who cares, let's vote again... maybe us Philips people will win this time.. you wine-os  :P
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Depends on the sak. If it has the cybertool layer, then a corkscrew. No cybertool layer, then phillips.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Inline phillips on 93mm Alox. :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Like Corwyn said the corkscrew is just useless, and the Philips is more use in my situation. My original sak has the corkscrew, but anything after I've only gotten anything without or with a Philips. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Corkscrew all the way, only my alox SAKS don't have corkscrews. :tu:

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Definitely the Phillips screwdriver. I have a few with the corkscrew but it's more of an "for old times sake" device these days. I use the Philips screwdriver regularly, though - a truly great tool :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
All of my 91mm SAKs have the corkscrew, I would not have it any other way.

Also: On my new eyeglasses, the c/s SD works just fine so now I'm back to carrying a SAK more :tu:

SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
I like a corkscrew. A inline Phillips is great but a backside one is hard for me to use.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
I like a corkscrew. A inline Phillips is great but a backside one is hard for me to use.
Agree! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Glofindel

Phillips for sure. I'd use it more.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
both are ok in my world

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I've undoubtedly said all this before,but...

Phillips all the way. My first ever SAK was a Tinker,I've never had any major issues with the reach or bite of the back spring Phillips.

And yes,before anyone says it,I will acknowledge the superiority of the inline Phillips,but there's not enough models with them in production!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
I've undoubtedly said all this before,but...

Phillips all the way. My first ever SAK was a Tinker,I've never had any major issues with the reach or bite of the back spring Phillips.

And yes,before anyone says it,I will acknowledge the superiority of the inline Phillips,but there's not enough models with them in production!
Oh jeez, I'm agreeing 100% with Kirky.... :facepalm:  ;)  I've never had a problem with the backside Phillips in use.  As for the corkscrew, even when I was drinking it was useless.  None of that fancy corked wine or bourbon for yours truly.....  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
When I first got into SAKs I thought the corkscrew was useless.  I've had a change of heart a few models later.  The mag glass has become a tool I like on my SAKs and my 2 favorite models happen to have the corkscrew, Swisschamp and Explorer.  In full disclosure tho I do carry my Deluxe Tinker often and don't have any issues with the phillips. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Corkscrew. Carries the mini-driver and I have better philips on my MT that it's paired with. I dislike the backside philips.

england Offline Beery

• Ayup! Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11976.msg790979.html#msg790979

Not the same question. The answer to that one could have been "hook" or "nothing".  :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:13:40 PM by Beery »
"See all, 'eer all, say nowt.
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if tha ivver duz owt for nowt,
allus do it fer thi-sen."

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
for the glasses SD and I prefer the in-line philips
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I for one actually don't mind either one, and see their use in different situation.  Most of the time if I am carry a SAK in urban setting, then a corkscrew because it is an irreplaceable tool for bottle(even I hardly drink) and I do find the eye glass screwdriver helpful sometimes.  Out in the wild, I have less use for either the CS or the eyeglasses screwdriver, so either CS or Phillips is fine.

When I am travelling, I tend to carry my Explorer, which has CS, but also the inline Phillips and scissors(personally, both are best tools of 91mm SAK)

bavaria Offline Humppa

I like 'em both - for several reasons. I don´t prefer any of these. I like the corkscrew, due I´m able to add a tiny screwdriver to my SAK. I like the corkscrew for the way it is designed for.

I carry both of each - but I tend to like the philips a little more better. It makes the knife not as bulky as a corkscrew. It always seems that the corkscrew is a about a half milimeter or one milimeter higher than the philips screwdriver, compared to each other.

No vote for me this time.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline sambeaux

I find my tastes have changed over time. My first SAK was a camper with a "useless" cork screw. I used it mostly as a multitool working on PC's 20ish years ago. I always wished it had been a hiker or tinker so I'd have that phillips driver. Fast forward a few years and I'm still working in IT... I bought a tinker a few years ago, and while I love the knife, that phillips driver S U C K S... It's only really useful for exposed screws that don't require much torque. It's also awkward as hell for long screws. Now I carry a leatherman multitool for removing screws... and I have a girlfriend who drinks wine. I daresay I've used the corkscrew more since I've met her than I ever used the backside phillips driver.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I like the corkscrew but the phillips is more useful and Alox fells way better because it doesn't have anything.

I can't vote

They all have there place. I use em all
Defend the Hive!!!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
There is a flaw in this poll, SC and explorer owners have a corkscrew and an inline phillips, best of both worlds  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
I hit the none button. I much prefer smooth back SAK's like the recruit, and the alox ones. Pioneer, farmer, cadet.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Sorel

Corkscrew all the way.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Some surprising results currently considering how much flak we CS lovers usually get. :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Where is the both option?
Some SAKs have both and some of us carry more than one SAK.
Give us two votes damnit.

us Offline powernoodle

The corkscrew makes me want to commit acts of violence.  I can't stand the thing.  Its just a big, ugly waste of space where something useful could live.  It must be a cultural thing.  I have never, ever needed a corkscrew that wasn't in my kitchen drawer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%