Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are you a Corkscrew person, a Phillips screwdriver person, or neither? And why?

Beery · 106 · 10173

Poll

On the SAK you use most, which tool goes in that slot that can only fit a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver?

Phillips screwdriver
Corkscrew
My SAK doesn't have that slot

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
I've got SAKs with phillips, corkscrews and some with neither (and two with both).  I carry a compact a lot, but I prefer the phillips because I use it more.  Would carry a compact with phillips if they made that combo (and why don't they?)
- Steve

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
In theory I prefer the Phillips driver, BUT most of the SAKs I end up carrying have the Corkscrew.
Although I wear glasses (more and more frequently as the years pass) I rarely have had a need for the mini screwdriver, my glasses just don't fall apart on a regular basis.

I prefer the Phillips for the way it feels in the hand, even more prefer the older "square" Phillips as it blends into the scales even better. But it really is a PITA to use. Much prefer the inline driver.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
There is a flaw in this poll, SC and explorer owners have a corkscrew and an inline phillips, best of both worlds  :salute:

"On the SAK you use most, which tool goes in that slot that can only fit a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver?"

No flaw. Question was about the backside one, so pretty much excludes SC and Explorer.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline pingu

I'm a corkscrew refusenik.  The only one I have is in my parts bin.  I'd like that more (all?) SAKs had the small Phillips like the Rambler.

mx Offline ebarberena

As posted before on other threads, I am 100% a CS person. I think SAK CS do 80% what a dedicated CS does and lets you carry the small screwdriver (very important tool to me). I think a SAK back tool PH does 5% of what a dedicated tool can do (its 90* to handle layout makes it useless 95% of the time). I understand someone with no use for the CS opting for a PH knife due to its smoothness when holding the SAK.

Go with an Explorer and you get best of both worlds, a CS and an inline PH that really works. Only drawbacks are no smooth handle and the knife's thickness that, at least for me, makes it borderline impractical for EDC. Actually, I'm putting a TEC clip on one this weekend to see if I can comfortably carry it on my front pocket. If successful, I´ll buy a Damascus version for EDC (I can get one locally at relatively reasonable price).

gb Offline pingu

.... I think a SAK back tool PH does 5% of what a dedicated tool can do (its 90* to handle layout makes it useless 95% of the time).

I don't disagree with the benefits of an in-line (or dedicated driver) but the "T handle" is essentially similar to a non-ratchet spanner.  The workaround is the need to continually reposition the tool if a fixture obstructs.  So I disagree with 5%.  I'd put the backside Phillips utility in excess of 80% with only reach being compromised.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
...It must be a cultural thing.  I have never, ever needed a corkscrew that wasn't in my kitchen drawer.

Quite possibly. I've had quite a few instances when my SAK corkscrew saved the day, and it was mostly far away from any kitchen.

england Offline Beery

• Ayup! Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman.
Some surprising results currently considering how much flak we CS lovers usually get. :D

Yeah. I totally thought the corkscrew was hated by everyone but me. Good to be on the side of the righteous (or at least the majority) for once.  :2tu:

I just don't get why anyone chooses the Phillips screwdribver when there's already one on just about every SAK (by which I mean the one on the Vic can opener or the one you can mod for the Wenger's nail file). Admittedly it's not the strongest Phillips screwdriver, but it gets the job done for the emergency needs that SAKs are there for. Heck, I reckon anyone who needs a real Phillips screwdriver should bring a real Phillips screwdriver.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:42:30 PM by Beery »
"See all, 'eer all, say nowt.
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt.
An' if tha ivver duz owt for nowt,
allus do it fer thi-sen."

england Offline Beery

There is a flaw in this poll, SC and explorer owners have a corkscrew and an inline phillips, best of both worlds  :salute:

Well, just about every SAC has an inline Phillips. The SC and Explorer have TWO inline Phillips. It's just that few people know that there is a Phillips on the can opener. I think that's why they choose the SACs that have TWO Phillips screwdrivers. :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:27:09 PM by Beery »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
No, there's a flat driver on the end of the can opener that happens to (badly) fit some Phillips screws.

england Offline Beery

The corkscrew makes me want to commit acts of violence.  I can't stand the thing.  Its just a big, ugly waste of space where something useful could live.  It must be a cultural thing.  I have never, ever needed a corkscrew that wasn't in my kitchen drawer.

See, I'm the opposite. My kitchen drawer doesn't go everywhere with me, and I don't always drink wine within range of my kitchen drawer.

england Offline Beery

No, there's a flat driver on the end of the can opener that happens to (badly) fit some Phillips screws.

It's fit (well) every Phillips head screw I've applied it to. But hey, if you've tried it and you don't like the way it fits, by all means use a SAK that has a better one.

And I'm not convinced it's a flat driver. I read somewhere that it was designed as a Phillips driver.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:39:02 PM by Beery »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Oh this debate will never end  :D

I voted (incorrectly) as "My SAK does not have that slot" as I did not want to express a preference - But wanted to see the results - And yes I was very surprised.

I started out as a CS guy through and through but use it less and less these days. But would still lean towards the CS. However I have been caught out recently on separate occasions without both tools. Once when I had a Fieldmaster and needed a CS - Once when I had as CS based Wenger and needed a Phillips (the Vic can opener one would have sufficed).

So as many have said - Maybe the Explorer or SC is the best.

Used the corkscrew only this week though. I was carrying a Compact, and needed a pointy, scrapey tool - I reached for my awl - But of course there is not one there (I am only just getting used to the Compact - so had forgotten that tool omission - "Surely there is no SAK without an awl??!!"  ??? :D ) - However the CS came to the rescue!!

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11976.msg790979.html#msg790979
Not the same question. The answer to that one could have been "hook" or "nothing".
Seems like the same to me - Question is:
Which do you prefer on the backspring of your SAK's? And the options are CS or Ph - Or no preference

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Disclaimer: I prefer corkscrew for multiple reasons.

I don't think strength is much of an argument against the can-opener as a Philips driver if comparing to the back-mounted Philips, as we regularly see people tear apart, or starting to damage, the peening of the knife by applying too much force on the back mounted Philips. The knives are simply not designed for a lot of torque on that thin pin.

On a tangent, I would actually like a model with a marlin spike there.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

I could live without either personally. The phillips is to short to be useful and I don't drink wine or wear glasses.

Wish they'd release 91mm's without either or put a pair of scissors back into the 84's.

Actually could live without any of the backtools...

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Corkscrew, because I use or have used it for opening wine bottles, untying knots, holding the mini-screwdriver, repairing a computer, opening a battery compartment, and probably more I can't recall ATM.

Contrast that with what the Phillips does, which is pretty much only tighten or loosen Phillips screws.  And even at that, its only real advantage over the flat Phillips tip on the Vic can opener is its superior ability to handle recessed screws.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Both.
DSCN1487-1.jpg
* DSCN1487-1.jpg (Filesize: 315.14 KB)
DSCN1490-1.jpg
* DSCN1490-1.jpg (Filesize: 347.34 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Most of my SAKs have backside Philips, I really don't have any need for the corkscrew, and the Philips feels a lot smoother in the pocket. :)
darren

england Offline Beery

I started out as a CS guy through and through but use it less and less these days. But would still lean towards the CS. However I have been caught out recently on separate occasions without both tools... Once when I had as CS based Wenger and needed a Phillips (the Vic can opener one would have sufficed).

I think I mentioned it here earlier, so at the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you grind/sand just a little bit (maybe 1/16") off the tip of the Wenger nail file (assuming, of course that the Wenger you were using has one), it works as a Phillips screwdriver.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:50:20 AM by Beery »

gb Offline pingu

if you grind/sand just a little bit (maybe 1/16") off the tip of the Wenger nail file ... it works as a Phillips screwdriver.

:tu: thanks for the heads-up

de Offline trailmaster

All the first SAKs I had had the Philips screwdriver. I haven't honestly found any use for it.

When I started carrying a climber with a corkscrew, it made a lot of difference. Could easily open wine bottles, and that is something important. Then I have used it for knots and doing a lot of other things. So I won't buy a SAK without a corkscrew any more and it is the second reason I don't carry my rescue tool any longer (the other being that OH knives need a "valid reason" to carry in Germany). In fact I am thinking of getting a non OH 111 with a corkscrew, so as to be able to carry one again.

my Offline LoneWolf2014

well, those of us that EDC swisschamp can be excluded?  :D

I personally don't feel comfortable with Philip screwdriver that opens the middle of a SAK.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
if you grind/sand just a little bit (maybe 1/16") off the tip of the Wenger nail file ... it works as a Phillips screwdriver.

Ayup lad - How's theesen?
Sounds like a reet good plan.
Ta

england Offline Beery

Ayup lad - How's theesen?
Sounds like a reet good plan.
Ta

:cheers: Ah'm reight grand.

Well, actually I've got a massive hangover from too much sherry last night.

Ah'll si thi.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:17:27 AM by Beery »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Corkscrew all the way, only my alox SAKS [ & Rescue Tool ;) ] don't have corkscrews. :tu:
+1  :cheers:

:gimme:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
I could live without either personally. The phillips is to short to be useful and I don't drink wine or wear glasses.
Wish they'd release 91mm's without either or put a pair of scissors back into the 84's.
Actually could live without any of the backtools...

Sounds like you are an alox man then Fats!! ??  :)
BTW - Scissors on the back  :o - How would that work!!  ???

On that topic I got a Vic Ranger last year - actually this was probably the first step in my spiral downwards into SAKdom - and so for the first time encountered the back spring chisel and fine SD.

Does anyone actually use these tools??
  • The SD is probably covered by the SD on the can opener, so superfluous
  • I love the little chisel - It is so sharp and would be great for fine work, but suffers from the usual back spring problem of being too short and inaccessible - And IMHO this is an even bigger problem for the chisel than the Phillips - Now if it was 'inline' it would be really useful!
What say you all?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:20:37 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
I thought I posted this....

Corkscrew. My multi has a philips, and they never leave the case without a partner.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
On that topic I got a Vic Ranger last year - actually this was probably the first step in my spiral downwards into SAKdom - and so for the first time encountered the back spring chisel and fine SD.

Does anyone actually use these tools??
  • The SD is probably covered by the SD on the can opener, so superfluous

I have the fine SD on my modded SAK (Explorer with Saw and Fine SD replacing the Scissors and Hook) and have found it useful. It is the only tool on my SAK that allows me to calibrate the hygrometer in my cigar humidor.  I've also used it as a tension wrench to pick a lock. And it has fit recessed phillips screws on children's toys that don't require much torque to remove.  I'm glad I chose it over the chisel.

ca Offline Echo

I'm all about the Phillips. Reasons: 1) I don't drink wine so have zero use for the corkscrew and  2) the Phillips gives the back of the knife a much smoother finish than the corkscrew, so more comfortable in the hand.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
I don't like the backside tools, so neither for me.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%