Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spiders!

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

• My common sense is tingling
Spiders!
on: October 02, 2014, 10:49:38 PM
I have to admit it... I hate them... and thanks to the weather over here in the UK (well at least England) there are more than usual...  and they aren't exactly small.
I am an arachnophobia sufferer, but its only spiders that bother me... tarantulas are beautiful (no pics of either though please) and its only recently that I am able to catch them. before it used to be hoover out and bye you 8 legged freak!

my big question and reason for this thread (not sure it belongs here at all) am I the only one here suffering?

also just caught one happily sat above my bed wasn't exactly small either! short of burning the house down any tips on keeping them at least out of the bedroom? I don't mind them elsewhere but irrational fear of spiders on me when sleeping is irrational!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Spiders!
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:47 PM
Actually was creeped out by spiders first as well.. but then I rationalised it...

They are there before us and will be here far after we're gone.. and you know those pesky flies that won't let you sleep, those awful mosquitoes that make you all red and itchy (do remember malaria is the most deadly disease in the world), those painful dangerous wasps... it's the nice mr. spider that eats them up and keeps your house clean of them and keeps their numbers in check... they might not be cuddly, but they are cool and useful, so just ignore them... unless you live in Black Widow territory that is  ::)

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:29 PM
Fun fact, spiders have lungs...

Now I wondered if one of them got strangled in its own net by accident :think:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:14 PM
everyone I know is complaining about the damn things ! specially here in Kent.
I can't stand them and this year they are huge hopefully winter will be here soon and kill them off

*it's my guess that because our last winter was mild the buggers did well
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:09:50 PM by Taxi Dad »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:55 PM
I'm not a fan.

My brother calls me the "Furniture Flinger" when the topic of spiders come up. I tend to get a bit overkill with the type of weapons/projectiles I choose when I do battle with one. When we shared a house I used to give him the option of dealing with them before I did, which pretty much meant he dealt with them all so I didn't wreck the place. I have successfully defeated two beasties since spider season started, but I expect many more battles yet

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:17:36 PM
A lot of people say that a few conkers in a dish or bowl keeps spiders out of a room. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but I have heard staunch arachnophobes swear by conkers as a repellant.  :think:

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:23:33 PM
Actually was creeped out by spiders first as well.. but then I rationalised it...

They are there before us and will be here far after we're gone.. and you know those pesky flies that won't let you sleep, those awful mosquitoes that make you all red and itchy (do remember malaria is the most deadly disease in the world), those painful dangerous wasps... it's the nice mr. spider that eats them up and keeps your house clean of them and keeps their numbers in check... they might not be cuddly, but they are cool and useful, so just ignore them... unless you live in Black Widow territory that is  ::)

the worst one we have over here is the false widow... no deadly spiders. other bugs never bother me but then again thats the uk.
I'm not a fan.

My brother calls me the "Furniture Flinger" when the topic of spiders come up. I tend to get a bit overkill with the type of weapons/projectiles I choose when I do battle with one. When we shared a house I used to give him the option of dealing with them before I did, which pretty much meant he dealt with them all so I didn't wreck the place. I have successfully defeated two beasties since spider season started, but I expect many more battles yet
nerf guns and a steady aim... or a tomahawk, depends what's closer!

everyone I know is complaining about the damn things ! specially here in Kent.
I can't stand them and this year they are huge hopefully winter will be here soon and kill them off

*it's my guess that because our last winter was mild the buggers did well
they are big up here too! (lincolnshire) I'm waiting for them to take up arms at this rate.
A lot of people say that a few conkers in a dish or bowl keeps spiders out of a room. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but I have heard staunch arachnophobes swear by conkers as a repellant.  :think:
tried that one, no luck with it though

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:39 PM
This is a spoof on a series that aired on Canadian TV ages ago during commercial time. Enjoy.  :rofl:

Aren't you happy you don't live in Australia?

:rofl:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:33:26 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:36:45 PM
I can't even look at a thread that 'Huntsman' has commented on ! his Avatar creeps me out  :o

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:34 PM
Yep, be glad you don't live here, some of the most deadly spiders in the world.  AND we have 7 of the top ten poisonous snakes!!  and crocodiles, and sharks.... I think I need a lay down.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:44:31 PM
I hear Australia is a beautiful place. Someday, I plan to visit...it is on my bucket list.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:48:25 PM
I have an abnormal fear of spiders!!!!  :ahhh  But since I'm weird, I do enjoy taking macro pictures of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:48 PM
Yep, be glad you don't live here, some of the most deadly spiders in the world.  AND we have 7 of the top ten poisonous snakes!!  and crocodiles, and sharks.... I think I need a lay down.  :facepalm:
as much as I might complain about this island , the wild life is pretty tame :)
we have no wolves , just foxes. although they scream like a baby being skinned alive when they are mating, they're not very dangerous, nor are our rabbits and I've only ever seen badgers dead at the side of the road. in all the years I've been grovelling around the woods I've never seen a live one !

*actually it's only in the last 5 years aprox I've seen any roadkill ones

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:09 PM
Hehe, I don't mind them, as long as they stay outside (except the little jumpers, they are welcome) and clear the doorway, I don't bother with them. Every year I have a few big ones with huge webs near fall.

I can pick them up if I had to, but I know there isn't any poisonous one here.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:12:12 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 12:07:29 AM
I have a pet tarantula so I'm okay with them. I accidentally walked my face  into a black widow web down south once and was freaked out trying to see if it was on me. That was scary.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 01:10:34 AM
Spiders are cool. Well, most of them are. Some are dorks, but...

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 02:14:47 AM
It's just a eight legged bug, what's the big deal? I got no beef with them, even the wife isn't that bad! But last summer there was a spider in the window that I took care of but it had babies, I had to grab a tissue every hour on the hour and go on a squashing rampage for about three days. They were so small and lite in color you couldn't really tell if they were there until they moved, and when they did it was like freckles floating on the ceiling. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 03:09:41 AM
I am on the fence,  I see spiders in the basement, and I leave them, they provide a needed service.

I have no problem holding tarantulas

however, I do have that little heart/stomach flutter when I see a random spider  :think:
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 07:04:29 AM

:whistle:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:08:54 AM by Chako »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:12 PM
I don't mind them. But don't try pet them either.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
It's just a eight legged bug, what's the big deal? I got no beef with them, even the wife isn't that bad! But last summer there was a spider in the window that I took care of but it had babies, I had to grab a tissue every hour on the hour and go on a squashing rampage for about three days. They were so small and lite in color you couldn't really tell if they were there until they moved, and when they did it was like freckles floating on the ceiling. JR

arachnophobia, is a specific phobia, the fear of spiders and other arachnids such as scorpions.
note the phobia part... its irrational but its still a fear, both Simon Pegg and Christopher Lee are sufferers.
I also have Coulrophobia, but only the "normal" ones

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 01:33:28 PM

Nate

I'd pet it!
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 01:55:24 PM
Good thing the man asked for no photos to be posted! (There was no mention of videos though :whistle: )

I don't really mind the harmless kinds of spiders there are around here. They can be slightly appauling at times but mainly I see them as useful, sadistic creeps. Other kinds however  :ahhh

Nate

I'd pet it!
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

(Image removed from quote.)

Oooh, I'd have that pet me as well!
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 02:24:51 PM
I wouldn't mind swatting that with a carpet slipper   :whistle:

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 02:45:51 PM
videos don't bother me, I run flash control so it appears as a big grey box! and I never was a fan of spiderman, or spider woman... i present lady deadpool... (anti hero most likely to carry a multitool... carries everything else)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 02:53:15 PM
I'd hit that too  >:D
 :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 02:55:13 PM
I like the gunz she is packing.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 03:11:58 PM

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
I'd hit that too  >:D
 :facepalm:
Jessica Nigri, the ultimate in cosplay. also how to derail a thread right there  :multi:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 03:25:20 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Someone was left speechless?  :D

Welcome to the forums TAJoe.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!