Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spiders!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Spiders!
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 03:27:50 PM
It's amazing how any thread topic gets derailed around here, but I love it...especially in this case ;)

As for spiders:  I'm not a big fan either.  Not on a phobia type level, but similar to Detron, I get that flutter or whatever when I see one, especially if it's a sudden discovery, or it's moving quickly, and even more so if it's a combination of the two.  I agree with their usefullness though, but it's tough to let one live if I see it.  It doesn't help that my wife will command instant death whenever she sees one, and of course, I'm the executioner as she's not a fan at all, regardless of how useful they can be.  I believe I read somewhere that you're never really more than 3ft away from a spider, but I'm not sure how valid that is :think:  I'd believe it though...
K-Tibbs

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

• My common sense is tingling
Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Someone was left speechless?  :D

Welcome to the forums TAJoe.
thanks, hoping I'm fitting in enough lol.

It's amazing how any thread topic gets derailed around here, but I love it...especially in this case ;)

As for spiders:  I'm not a big fan either.  Not on a phobia type level, but similar to Detron, I get that flutter or whatever when I see one, especially if it's a sudden discovery, or it's moving quickly, and even more so if it's a combination of the two.  I agree with their usefullness though, but it's tough to let one live if I see it.  It doesn't help that my wife will command instant death whenever she sees one, and of course, I'm the executioner as she's not a fan at all, regardless of how useful they can be.  I believe I read somewhere that you're never really more than 3ft away from a spider, but I'm not sure how valid that is :think:  I'd believe it though...

not sure on that one, my room is currently 100% spider free. hoover took them out for justice!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:57 PM

not sure on that one, my room is currently 100% spider free. hoover took them out for justice!

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure on it.  It likely doesn't take into account the people that put extra effort into making sure there aren't any around ;)  I find it hard to believe it either while sitting here in my office.  I guess you never know though...
K-Tibbs

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 03:36:28 PM
I have a friend who suffers from this,too. And.... having in mind the request for NO PICs of those creatures in the thread in the very first post and seeing so many emoticons, pictures and videos ... I'm sure a person who suffers from this kind of phobia will be far from appreciating this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:39:55 PM by N_N_R »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:52 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Someone was left speechless?  :D

Welcome to the forums TAJoe.
thanks, hoping I'm fitting in enough lol.

I guess you'll be the judge of that  ;)

As for spiders, what about the outside world? Just hope the spider Erinyes don't come for you :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 04:07:29 PM
Oops.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 04:25:48 PM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 05:05:24 PM

:D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:12 PM
I am the opposite, I love spiders.  :P

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 10:09:57 PM
I work on a simple principle....if they don't bother me,I don't bother them :tu:

One of the places I rented in SA,I shared with three big hunting spiders. They kept out of my road,I didn't chase them. Never had any problems there with insects :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 10:10:57 PM
and I used to like you !

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19:15 PM
I'm in awe of spiders - I can't let them walk over my hand..not yet anyway.
But when I see them in the house me and my son grab a clear plastic beaker and catch them. We then get the magnifying glasses out and study it....finally putting it outside.

Is it not true that we each swallow on average several spiders in our lifetime whilst we sleep!!

Maybe I shouldn't have said that!  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:30:13 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:59 PM
and I used to like you !

I have a quick half-life.  :facepalm:

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 10:27:16 PM
I'm in awe of spiders - I can't let them walk over my hand..not yet anyway.
But when I see them in the house me and my son grab a clear plastic beaker and catch them. We then get the magnifying glasses out and study it....finally putting it outside.

Good man.  :salute:  :drink:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 01:28:47 AM
Not so good actually. Most of the spiders you find in your house...well...the house is their natural habitat. When you "liberate" said spider and put it outside...certain death. May as well step on it.

Swallowing spiders in your sleep is not true. They are more intelligent then mouth diving for a hobby. :D

Taken from http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/

House Spider Myths

Myth: Spiders come into houses in the fall to get out of the cold.

Fact: This seemingly simple idea conceals many false assumptions. In reality, house spiders are usually not the same species as the yard or garden spiders outside the house.

House spiders belong to a small number of species specially adapted for indoor conditions (constant climate, poor food supply, very poor water supply). Some house spider species have been living indoors at least since the days of the Roman Empire, and are seldom to be found outside, even in their native countries (usually Europe). Many of these species now live in houses worldwide, and most have been carried by commerce to more than one continent. Few are adapted to North American outdoor environments.

House spiders colonize new houses by egg sacs carried on furniture, building materials and so forth. They usually spend their entire life cycle in, on or under their native building. If a large number appear at a specific season, it is usually late summer (August and September) -- not a notably cold time of year! -- rather than fall, and their appearance coincides with the mating season of the given species. What you are seeing is sexually mature males wandering in search of mates.

The females and young remain hidden for the most part, in crawlspaces, storage areas and other neglected rooms; wall and floor voids; behind furniture and appliances, etc. Generally fewer than 5% of the spiders you see indoors have ever been outdoors.

In contrast, outdoor spider species are not adapted to indoor conditions. Any North American spider that needed artificial shelter for the winter, would have been extinct long before Europeans arrived! Spiders are "cold-blooded" and not attracted to warmth. They don't shiver or get uncomfortable when it's cold, they just become less active and eventually, dormant. Most temperate zone spiders have enough "antifreeze" in their bodies that they won't freeze at any temperature down to -5° C.; some can get colder. The few typical outdoor spiders that do end up indoors, die or at least don't reproduce.

Myth: "I'm very kind to spiders; when I find one in the house, I put it back outside instead of killing it."

Fact: You can't put something "back" outside that was never outside in the first place. Although some house spider species can survive outdoors, most don't do well there, and some (which are native to other climates) will perish rather quickly when removed from the protective indoor habitat. You're not doing them a favor.

In any case, house spiders are mostly harmless and beneficial. Human property rights mean nothing to other species. There was spider habitat for millions of years where your home is now. My advice is, "just wave as they go by."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:35:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 02:14:23 AM
Well, so much for trying to do a good deed.  :facepalm:
I wonder if putting them in the garage harms them.
I can't just sit and watch spiders walking around nor do I want to harm them. If they can survive in the adjoining garage then that's where they'll go.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 02:40:59 AM
I have no issues with spiders tho I don't want them crawling on me. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #48 on: October 05, 2014, 08:24:25 PM
I have no issues with spiders tho I don't want them crawling on me.

This. I like their bug-catching properties :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #49 on: October 05, 2014, 11:22:48 PM
Yesterday I stomped the life out of a black widow that was hiding out in our cats outdoor playhouse. We've since washed that house and have it ready for some new occupants, a father, a mother cat and their 6 kittens :)
SAW

gb Offline TheAverageJoe

Reply #50 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:35 PM
well the update had a spider free weekend... mostly there are several in other rooms of the house that I have left alone, I'm pretty sure there is one in my room though so the catching container is prepped. I have heard that spiders don't like citrus, house ones at least so will give that a try at some point.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%