Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw/Emerson CQC-3K

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Kershaw/Emerson CQC-3K
on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:31 PM
   I just got a Kershaw/Emerson CQC-3K. I got this because I needed a blade under 3" for certain situations and the Spyderco Dragonfly I have is just a bit smaller than I need. I already have the CQC-4K and love it so I figured the 3K is a safe bet. I am normally not one for tanto style blades, but it was between this and the 2K which has a recurve style blade and for some reason this tanto attracted me.
   First impressions are excellent as expected! The lockup is rock solid. I mean absolutely zero blade play in any direction. Blade centering is dead center. Fit and finish is dang near perfect. I never really like the disc opener and my only complaint with the 4K was the disc is to close to the scale to deploy the blade easily. With the design on the 3K the handle scales give more clearance making it much less of a issue. I was worried the sharp angle of the handle would be uncomfortable in hand but boy was I wrong. The sharp angle is a non issue and it fits very comfortably in hand. I have not cut with it yet so I do not know if any "hot spots" will be a problem, but it does not appear so. The one and only thing I noticed that I was not 100% pleased with is the lockup percentage. The lockup on the frame lock is late and at about 90%. With that said it really seems like a non issue since the blade lockup is rock solid. It is possible it will develop into a problem over extended usage and long periods of time, but I am honestly not worried about it. Best of all this is a $29.00 knife! I can't help but compare the quality of fit and finish to the Benchmade Griptilian I recently bought and sadly this $29.00 knife blows Benchmades $114.00 Griptilian out of the water. Obviously materials are not on par with the Griptilian, but I am only speaking of fit and finish from knives I have personally owned.
   I cannot say enough about this line of Kershaws. Both of the knives from this line I have bought have impressed me right out of the box and my 4K has impressed with carry as well. In my opinion these are one of the best budget knives money can buy and you have 8 different knives in the line to choose from. I'm sure their is something for everyone. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:32:32 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: Kershaw/Emerson CQC-3K
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:00:58 PM
Nice looking Kershaw Cap :tu:.

I've been looking at getting one of them but have yet to pull the trigger.

I have noticed that Kershaw/ZT has very good QC these days and their customer service is also top-notch.

Enjoy your new toy!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:39 PM

I have noticed that Kershaw/ZT has very good QC these days and their customer service is also top-notch.

Enjoy your new toy!

I agree. I have owned quite a few Kershaws and cannot remember ever having a quality control issue. I would imagine the ZT line is even better.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:02:49 PM
I love ZT lines of knives, and it does look like Kershaw did a wonderful job with ZT.  Of the collaboration I have seen, these line of collaboration seems to receive most praises. 

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:18:46 PM

Enjoy your new toy!

I agree. I have owned quite a few Kershaws and cannot remember ever having a quality control issue. I would imagine the ZT line is even better.

Surprisingly, the only Kershaw/ZT's that I've ever had problems with are ZT's...

I had a 0301 that the lockbar developed rock so bad that it would close with light pressure on the spine (and this was a shelf queen!). Sent it back for warranty and they replaced the lock side and torsion bar (it's now super solid and faster than before).

I had a 0350 that stripped the G10 around the backside of the pivot preventing me from adjusting the pivot screw. I traded that away to someone who wanted a beater.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:24 PM

Enjoy your new toy!

Surprisingly, the only Kershaw/ZT's that I've ever had problems with are ZT's...

I had a 0301 that the lockbar developed rock so bad that it would close with light pressure on the spine (and this was a shelf queen!). Sent it back for warranty and they replaced the lock side and torsion bar (it's now super solid and faster than before).

I had a 0350 that stripped the G10 around the backside of the pivot preventing me from adjusting the pivot screw. I traded that away to someone who wanted a beater.

That's a bummer.
I'm the milk man!

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 03:09:38 PM
I have been wanting to pick up a few of these kershaw/emerson knives.  I have a Cryo II that has a good lockup but is 90% as well.

I sent back my ZT0566 because I didn't like how asymmetrical the edge was (for a $120 knife). The relief was probably .030 on one side and .050 on the other. The replacement is better but not by a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%