Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic magnifying glass

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Vic magnifying glass
on: October 31, 2008, 03:25:52 AM
I'm looking into getting an Explorer Plus to go along with my spirit.  I really like the idea of having a magnifying glass on my SAK as well, but I've looked tirelessly to find a comparison of the old magnifying glass to the new one.  Unfortunately I've found nothing.  Does anyone here have both versions of the magnifying glass, or at least have seen both?  I'm curious which one is better.  It seems like the old version with the glass lens in the grey plastic was a smaller lens, but I would imagine glass works better and holds up to more abuse then the current plastic lens variant.  Thanks for the input!

-Dough :climber:  <----Just missing a magnifying glass and phillips driver!
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Vic magnifying glass
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:24 AM
The old one is smaller and 8X. I believe the new one is a little bigger and 4X...
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:18:34 AM
It seems like the old version with the glass lens in the grey plastic was a smaller lens, but I would imagine glass works better and holds up to more abuse then the current plastic lens variant. 

I've read reviews about both, of course most liked the glass better but most said the plastic (which I have)
works fine, and how can plastic hold up better than glass? the plastic is more durable, shock resistant.

I'm with you though, I like having it.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:30:26 AM
The old one is more powerful, and definetly more robust (not that the new ones fragile) but I think the new one is far more useful for day to day tasks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:32:44 AM
It seems like the old version with the glass lens in the grey plastic was a smaller lens, but I would imagine glass works better and holds up to more abuse then the current plastic lens variant. 

I've read reviews about both, of course most liked the glass better but most said the plastic (which I have)
works fine, and how can plastic hold up better than glass? the plastic is more durable, shock resistant.

I'm with you though, I like having it.
Glass is essentially scratch resistant, and a piece that thick would need substantial impact loading to shatter.  The plastic, however, can scuff or scratch with wear.  I would much rather prefer the glass one, but I don't know if I'll be able to find an explorer plus with the old magnifyer.  Oh well, thanks for the input.

-Dough
W

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:55 AM
Why not try to get used in excellent condition from ebay - it might even cost you less then new one.
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:36:06 AM
If you really want one e-bay might be the way to go or try Felinevet, he seems to be the man when it comes to getting what you want.  For my part I think the new magnifier is much more useable day to day.  The glass lens is just to small.  The plasic is that bit bigger and I have had no problems with them getting scratched up.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:59:46 PM
I often carry a SAK with a magnifier.  I prefer the old style for scratch resistance and higher power magnification.  Most importantly though, I prefer the old style because the phillips driver it is paired with is longer.
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:22 PM
What do you use tv mag for mostly , splinter removal. Can you actually start a firewith one ?

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:38 PM
What do you use tv mag for mostly , splinter removal. Can you actually start a firewith one ?

Chris
I've never quite managed to start a fire with one, but I did burn a mate's neck, really badly once :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:22:56 PM
I typically use the mag to look at circuit boards for manufacturing defects.

SOSAKers have had success starting a fire with the old magnifier and charcloth.
- Terry

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:45 PM
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/824151/post/1545088/hl/old+mag+glass+vs+new+mag+glass/fromsearch/1/#1545088

This is about a New Explorer and the new glass maybe this will give you some insight. ;)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:25 PM
I like both but do have a preference for the new one.  I carry a Scientist a lot of the time; here's a pic of my recently retired well worn original and its new replacement.  I'm still not sure about the black though :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 02:32:50 AM
Another idea would be to get a Swisscard Lite.
B

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 02:42:29 AM
Another idea would be to get a Swisscard Lite.
Or have Victorinox do a limited rerun of Scientist (I'd buy a few).

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:51 AM
The magnifier is good for close work or if I forget my reading glasses.

R

Offline FredKJ

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:24 PM
Hmm.  I like to have a magnifier with me.  I don't have a SAK with the older glass magnifier.  The plastic one scratches.  I wish they wouldn't skimp on such things.  It's one thing the SAK just really doesn't deliver what I need.  If you really want a good loupe I would highly recommend the Belomo loupe.  It is a Hastings triplet and at 10x gives good detail.  You really want a triplet lenses for anything over say 7x.  The triplet gives a flat color corrected image.  Check this review:

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/belomo.html

The Belomo is equal or better in quality to the B&L that costs much more.  If you google on the net you can find a good price even with a lanyard.  I EDC mine on the lanyard which also serves for my office badge pass holder.  Works really nice.  If you want to EDC a loupe I HIGHLY recommend this one. 

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 07:40:33 PM
I originally didn't think I would use the magnifier on my Vic Explorer, but found it so handy than I am now thinking of upgrading to a 10x Belomo loupe just like you describe.

How big are the Belomo loupes? Are they good for pocket carry? Any recommendations on where to buy one (I am in Canada)?
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 07:45:51 PM
I originally didn't think I would use the magnifier on my Vic Explorer, but found it so handy than I am now thinking of upgrading to a 10x Belomo loupe just like you describe.

How big are the Belomo loupes? Are they good for pocket carry? Any recommendations on where to buy one (I am in Canada)?

They are very small for EDC.  Just do a google and you will find sites.  Should ship to Canada.  A lot of amateur geology places sell them.  Here is a site that sells one with a lanyard.  The lanyard has a sweet quick release fastex buckle. 

http://www.geo-tools.com/lens.htm

The price has gone up on them since I got mine for about $15.  Now they are around $25-$30.  Use one of these for the first time if you are used to cheap magnifiers you will say wow. 

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:23 PM
I ordered a Belomo 10x Triplet from Amazon.uk. They  go for 35€ now, 45€ with shipping. I have good quality telescopes and binoculars, it is a pity to use that cheap loupe with plastic lenses for my geology collection and inspecting SAKs and nature. But the truth is that I didn't need a loupe until presbyopia stroke me a couple of years ago. Victorinox magnifiers served me well but it was time to upgrade.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 07:13:44 PM
Those are excellent loupes for the money. I have a couple and they compare favorably to my B+L Hastings Triplet for less than half the money. The Belomos are larger than the Bausch + Lomb but I wear them on a cord around my neck anyway.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:25 PM
Very encouraging. I only red good opinions. I eyed the Zeiss 40D first but it is narrow at 15mm and goes for a hundred and, guess what, it is made in Belarus, where Belomo comes from.

il Offline Shalom

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:49 PM
From Sakwiki
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

The Old one in grey plastic housing is 8X and made of glass
A newer one in clear plastic housing is 5X and made of plastic
From 2012 the magnifier is still in a clear plastic housing but 6X and of glass.

re: the phillips -I read that the newer, shorter one is made of stronger material (though I'd prefer the longer length,for my needs)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 10:05:42 PM
Speaking about Victorinox magnifiers, I find the plastic 5x really nice (low magnification helps) but the one on the Compass/Thermometer/Ruler has an area in the center that is fuzzy and I believe this is because it is worn out as it is exposed. But the similar inside Swisschamps is protected.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 11:08:07 PM
I don't mind the SAK magnifiers, but for most tasks I find a fresnel lens in the wallet and the True Utility eyeglass to be more useful as they both have a bigger field of vision. They are also both very cheap

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

my Offline LoneWolf2014

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:10:13 PM
Got this from somewhere...
The clear plastic housing seems to be different as well...
* evolution of magnifying glass.pdf (Filesize: 211.63 KB)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:12:06 PM by LoneWolf2014 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD