Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK with pliers?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Best SAK with pliers?
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 03:50:09 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Assuming you mean something that won't tear a hole in your pocket, Atlas hands down. It's got everything I've ever needed in a SAK. Plus, it's very nearly as comfortable as a regular knife.

P.S. I'd swap the pliers for scissors, though.  :D

:o Now that's a knife ::) :D

I like that knife a lot Rodion don't believe I have ran across that model on the website :drool:

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 04:01:11 AM
That's because they don't make them anymore. I got the last one. 8)

Just got a brand new factory replacement last week.
W

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:13 AM
That's because they don't make them anymore. I got the last one. 8)

Just got a brand new factory replacement last week.

Kinda what I figured but just didn't come out and ask :-[  Well to the Ebay then Batman  :P :D

an Atlas you say right? I don't know why they quit making it ???

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 06:58:00 AM
Too hardcore for their product line. Was making the other knives look bad.  :multi:

Edit: actually, you might want to look into Hercules: one more layer, adds scissors and a micro Phillips. You'll need large hands, though.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:01:00 AM by Rodion »
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 07:36:14 AM
Too hardcore for their product line. Was making the other knives look bad.

Edit: actually, you might want to look into Hercules: one more layer, adds scissors and a micro Phillips. You'll need large hands, though.

It's weird how they sometimes discontinue some of the workhorse knives. I can't believe the Locksmith is gone, for example.

That Hercules looks sweet too. Not to rehash other threads, but visually the corkscrew sticks out like a sore thumb. And I bet it ruins the feel of the handle as well.  I'd even prefer a hook... :P

I know it is against the premise of this thread, but a Hercules with a metal file instead of pliers would serve me perfectly.  :drool:

[

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 10:02:01 PM
My 557 came today!
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 10:40:56 PM
My 557 came today!
What are your initial impresions mate ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:38 PM
I usually like my Deluxe Tinker or the old SwissChamp for pliers. When I go boating, however, I take my Skipper.
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:23 PM
My 557 came today!
What are your initial impresions mate ???

Yeah, I'd love to know too. Please let us know.

I really love the looks of that one, but I haven't heard a lot from anyone who actually owns one.
[

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 05:12:30 AM
Well, my first impression was, "I'm going to need a pouch". I could pocket carry, and that wouldn't bother me but it's likely to big for some. The width is about two Tinkers (was on my desk, so it got compared), but it's slightly stouter by a few millimeters.

It's my first full size Wenger. My keychain has an Esquire but that's it. The knife locks! Man, how cool is that. It also has the end mounted philips AND a corkscrew, not too common on most tools, especially in the medium size range as I'd consider this. The pliers look rather nice, especially with the slip joint and wire cutting hole, which is especially useful for me. The only thing is it looks a tad smaller than Vic's pliers, so possibly less utility to be had. Can/bottle openers are standard Wenger. I never use the can opener so I can't really comment there. The scissors feel very sturdy, I do prefer the Wenger mechanism, and as for the serrated scissor blades, they work well enough for my tastes. I also like that Wenger puts nail files on alot of their tools, not just the keychain modes. They do come in handy. The Evo grip is an amazing design, especially with how natural it feels in my hand. As for the most unique feature, the wrench. It looks sturdy, and the steel is the same gauge as the philips. I'm just waiting for a chance test it out. About the only real bust on this knife is the awl. Just a thin pointy piece of metal, no edge or sewing hole. I MUCH prefer the Vic awl. Come to think of it, this could become a real handy companion for when I go up to focus lights. It's got all I need for quick adjustments and repairs. If it had a file it might be a near perfect mix of tools for work/city carry I wouldn't consider this a woods knife. Give me a little bit and I'll post my impressions from EDC testing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:16:46 AM by gafftapegreenia »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 05:40:39 AM
Thanks for the review!  :cheers:

Aren't the Wenger pliers slip-jointed? I thought they opened wider than the Vics. I think someone mentioned that the wire cutters on the Wenger pliers could handle bigger wires too...

Does the Philips lock like the flat head / bottle opener? The newer Wenger flat head/can opener has a pressure locking mechanism which I really like.

Yes, the Wenger awl is not really a reamer like the Vic's. I think some people have sharpened it fairly easily if that proves a problem. Check with someone more knowledgeable than me before trying it though!  :-\

Thanks again for the info and make sure to update us once you have had a chance to use it for a while...
[

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 06:09:44 AM
The pliers are slip jointed, so while they open wider than the Vic's I don't think that, in physical terms, they are as beefy, but not by much. The wire hole will accept up to a 12 AWG wire stripped. The philips locks, another nice feature!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:31 AM
Ah, I understand what you are saying.

Wow, it's really great that the Philip locks! I was expecting that it didn't.

Wenger's pressure locking mechanism is really ingenious. It's so simple but works so well.

I find it particularly useful on the flat head, because you can scrape, pry, prod, etc. with a bit of force and not worry as much about it suddenly collapsing on you.

That's really one nice SAK. Incidentally, which colour did you go for?
[

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 07:18:18 AM
Traditional red. I really like the black scales tho, I might try to get more Vic's in the black.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:01 AM
Too hardcore for their product line. Was making the other knives look bad.  :multi:

Hercules grabbed my interest when I first noticed it online, mainly because there appear to be only a few Vic models with big and small Phillips drivers.  Can't recall the other models.

Hercules would be sort of bulky to carry and maybe slightly clumsy in use, but it does offer a lot of capability.  Should be OK to carry along in a briefcase or rucksack as a backup tool.

Wish Vic would offer a "Hercules minus scissors and saw" model.  Such a model would be decent for pocket carry and still have everything I want in an EDC knife.  My boring urban existence doesn't require a scissors or a saw.

N

Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 09:34:09 AM
Thanks for your thoughts gafftapegreenia, I can see one of those Wenger's in my future now :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 04:29:00 AM
Well I finally got a SAK with pliers the Deluxe Tinker  :D I know still not a proper SAK no corkscrew ::) I almost got 1 with the cs just so I could put that down on here ;) I still have a couple others I want so just be patient with me :D Some of the others had cs that I was looking @ :D

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 06:58:57 AM
That's a good choice and the Deluxe Tinker is one of my favorite Vics for actual pocket EDC.
"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 08:10:22 AM
That's a good choice and the Deluxe Tinker is one of my favorite Vics for actual pocket EDC.

I do believe that it will see some pocket carry time :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:32 AM
Congratulation's mate, there a handy wee Sak :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: August 03, 2008, 09:11:51 PM
Congratulation's mate, there a handy wee Sak :)

I like the pliers on it they seem like they will be handy @times :cheers: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD