Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking equipment

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Hiking equipment
Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:18 AM
First aid kit.

Vaseline. Stop to put vaseline on those hotspots before they turn to blisters

Head torch. If you take a wrong turn, you might lose light before you get back

Stove? Might want a hot drink or a soup maybe. A cheapo hexi stove or homemade alcohol stove and an ex-army metal mug would do

Repair kit. Nothing fancy, just a bit of duct tape, a little tube of superglue, and maybe a mini homemade sewing kit

good list IMO.

First aid doesn't have to to be paramedic grade, but a few plasters (even better is one of the rolls of fabric backed "cut your own"), some antiseptic, and a sterile bandage or two are a must. 

Definitely a torch of some kind and, for once, something with a flashing mode might actually be a good thing.  Head torches are the obviously most practical thing to walk with as it'll leave your hands free, but I have used a hand torch before.  Spare set of batteries.

On colder days a small stove or a vacuum flask are a must.  Quickest way to get warm is to drink something hot.  All the coats, fleeces and hats in the world will only trap body warmth, they don't actually make you warmer.

Hat and gloves.

50ft-Trads repair kit.

Map and compass.  Knowing how to use them is a bonus. ;)

Something to eat.  Again, like the hot drink this will help you keep warm.  For your body to produce heat you need energy and, given you are using a lot of energy walking, it's important you feed yourself to get that energy back.  As a hiking snack I like to take flapjacks.  Sugars give you a quick hit of energy, but the carbohydrates from the oats give you a longer lasting burn.  Sweets and chocolate will just give you some sugars, but little in the way of carbs.  Plus the flapjacks taste nice. :D

You mention a survival/space blanket.  These are OK IMO, but I prefer the more traditional big orange plastic survival bag.  Once you are in it it'll keep you off the wet ground and protected from rain.

A whistle.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:39:08 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 11:33:08 AM
Another thing you need to do with the gear is,PRACTICE. Then practice some more. 
Ferro rod, compass, emergency kit, all of it, won't do you a bit of good if you don't know how to use it. So again, practice and get some dirt time. But the biggest thing to remember is...........have fun! So many people get wrapped up in skills and the newest gear and keeping up with the Jones they forget get why they started. Rather you are doing ultra light, hiking, bushcrafting, camping or whaterver, remember to have fun.

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 12:13:58 PM
Another thing you need to do with the gear is,PRACTICE. Then practice some more. 
Ferro rod, compass, emergency kit, all of it, won't do you a bit of good if you don't know how to use it. So again, practice and get some dirt time. But the biggest thing to remember is...........have fun! So many people get wrapped up in skills and the newest gear and keeping up with the Jones they forget get why they started. Rather you are doing ultra light, hiking, bushcrafting, camping or whaterver, remember to have fun.

Nate

Good call!  :tu: With practice and foresight also comes innovation. You'll start to figure out you can use stuff for purposes other than what they are sold for. As an example, let's take the orange poly survival bag that Gareth mentioned. Rather than have it folded up in a corner of the pack, use it as a pack liner. Not only will the bag help keep things dry should water leak into the pack, but being a reflective material, the inside of your pack will reflect more light making things easier to find than in a standard pack made of dark material. Add a torch with a flash mode and you have another option. Instead of getting inside the bag, waft it till full of air, throw in the torch on flashy mode, and tie it shut with a bit of paracord (that no one has mentioned yet  :P) or even a bootlace. That way you have got a man sized flashing orange beacon which will make you a lot easier to find. Very cheap item, and multiple uses, even if you're not in a crisis situation  :tu: Personally I would aviod getting in one unless utterly unavoidable, as they are not breathable which could still lead to you getting wet through perspiration and therefore getting cold. I'd rather use a reflective blanket instead as it's easier to keep vented - so let's discuss those for a minute ...

If you want a good quality survival blanket, grab one of the Adventure Medical 2 person heatsheets. They are tougher than the cheapo ones, and can even double as a tarp for shelter. Not as strong as a tarp, but tougher than the standard cheapo mylar blankets. If you just want to get the cheapos, get at least two - preferably three. Firstly they are easily damaged so you don't want to have your only means of keeping warm disintigrate because you happened to catch it on a thorn, but having two can be a significant benefit too. If you have to use a fire, erecting a mylar blanket behind you as a heat reflector will make a significant difference, as will erecting another at the other side of the fire .... just make sure it's sat well away from flames and sparks, as they are actually flammable
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:30:58 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline marty1990

Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Okay, I'll grab myself a first aid kit. Does it matter on a specific make? Sports Direct has some of the stuff you've all mentioned, like first aid kits for a couple of pounds, bivvy bag etc. so would these cheap ones do? I mean I could knock together a first aid kit, but the one I've seen has plasters, anti bac wipes, dressing, insect repellent and a survival blanket in a bag for like £4. I could easily add extra to it and use it as a base... right?

I'll have a couple of SAK's with me/in the first aid/survival kit so I have scissors etc on that. My climber has a saw on, which I've never used. Not sure how good it would be in proper use because it's tiny, haha.

I can throw together a repair kit with stuff I already have at home.

Tinder/cotton wool is already in my pack. I'll grab some vaseline to use on blisters and to douse my cotton wool with. Pretty sure I have a compass/map etc already. Whistle I don't have. Torch already got, not a head torch though.

Oooh, so I get to stock up on flapjacks then?!

Any stove recommendations? ... on a budget :D

Also, the Craghoppers trousers fit. Does anybody have the Kiwi Pro Stretch? If so, where the heck is this supposed sunglasses wipe?

Finally, I bought a base layer from Aldi. It's a compression one, it wraps around my torso. Is that any good? Feels weird you see. Not sure if it's just because it's new to me.

Thanks.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 06:12:57 PM

Any stove recommendations? ... on a budget :D

Make one! :D

Homemade stoves

I particularly like my penny stove.
218189_1028409964596_4673_n.jpg
* 218189_1028409964596_4673_n.jpg (Filesize: 58.99 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 06:44:30 PM
What Whippy said.
I myself like a fire. The fuel is free and it is laying everywhere. Also it warms you up and helps psychologically. It will help keep bugs away, cook your fuel and boil your water. Keep in mind, some places do not allow open fires. In that case, I just use a small wood stove that I made.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:39 PM
I've got a couple of pairs of Craghopper trousers, but not any that feature a sunglasses wipe. :think:  Sorry, can't help there.

I've not seen the Sports Direct kit, but I'm fairly sure it'll be alright for what you are doing.

This has been my "go to" hiking stove for the last couple of years.  Fit's to a Coleman type gas canister.

Is it this base layer you've got?

If so then I'd say the tight fit is part of the design.  Just so long as it's not affecting you've breathing. :D

Offline marty1990

Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:03 AM
Haha, not sure I'd trust one I made! Maybe in the future, but that Vango one Gareth posted might do the job, for now.

No worries about the sunglasses wipe, just supposed to be an extra feature that I can't seem to find. Great trousers anyway. At least, from what I've seen wearing them in the house, haha.

Hmm, regarding cooking tools, is it possible to cook using a mess tin? You see, after I bought my Gerber Dime a couple of years ago, I got really into the Gerber stuff, which then developed to the Bear Grylls stuff. More for their designs than their actual uses. Either way, I stumbled across the Bear Grylls Canteen and Cooking Cup. The price is ridiculous (I think), but it got me thinking today - after the warm drink suggestions etc. and based off what I saw with their design - could I cook using a mess tin? Like, I carry a bottle of water with me, pour into the mess tin, boil, add a tea bag for example...? Or am I better off getting something else?

Also, got the first aid kit. I haven't exactly opened it yet, but I'll add some more stuff to it tomorrow.

And yeah, that's the base layer I've got. Is that suitable? I can still breath with it, haha. It's just pretty snug.

OH! Couldn't find a bivvy bag. The first aid kit I bought had a survival blanket with it though, so I have two now...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:04:15 AM by marty1990 »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 02:48:25 AM
Vaseline. Stop to put vaseline on those hotspots before they turn to blisters
I use medical tape for that. Good idea with the vaseline.

I use duct tape for hotspots.  Usually for several days at a time.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 06:05:25 AM

Haha, not sure I'd trust one I made! Maybe in the future, but that Vango one Gareth posted might do the job, for now.

No worries about the sunglasses wipe, just supposed to be an extra feature that I can't seem to find. Great trousers anyway. At least, from what I've seen wearing them in the house, haha.

Hmm, regarding cooking tools, is it possible to cook using a mess tin? You see, after I bought my Gerber Dime a couple of years ago, I got really into the Gerber stuff, which then developed to the Bear Grylls stuff. More for their designs than their actual uses. Either way, I stumbled across the Bear Grylls Canteen and Cooking Cup. The price is ridiculous (I think), but it got me thinking today - after the warm drink suggestions etc. and based off what I saw with their design - could I cook using a mess tin? Like, I carry a bottle of water with me, pour into the mess tin, boil, add a tea bag for example...? Or am I better off getting something else?

Also, got the first aid kit. I haven't exactly opened it yet, but I'll add some more stuff to it tomorrow.

And yeah, that's the base layer I've got. Is that suitable? I can still breath with it, haha. It's just pretty snug.

OH! Couldn't find a bivvy bag. The first aid kit I bought had a survival blanket with it though, so I have two now...

The Bear Grylls canteen is actually a pretty good canteen IMO.
I have one and it does not leave a plastic taste in the water like many other plastic canteens do. I have even put boiling water in it and let it cool over night, and it did not taste like plastic at all the next morning. :tu:
The canteen cup should work fine for warming water on a small stove.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 11:26:19 AM
could I cook using a mess tin? Like, I carry a bottle of water with me, pour into the mess tin, boil, add a tea bag for example...? Or am I better off getting something else?

You mean the rectangular style?  Sure, you can cook with them, but for boiling water it's not going to be nearly as efficient as a kettle or small pot with a lid.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 02:16:03 PM
I like Craghoppers trousers, I have lots of pairs. I wear them for a couple of days as "clean" (evening and weekends) then they get a couple of days at work.

The only thing I have an opinion on that adds to what has already been discussed is boots. I have never got on well with fabric boots, whilst they may be marginally lighter weight (not noticeable to me tbh) I've never found them to be reliably waterproof even when frequently re-proofed with Nikwax and from decent brands. The best I've had are a fairly cheap pair from Mountain Warehouse, purveyors of cheap outdoor stuff that I wouldn't want to wear up a mountain but are good for everyday use. I've had three pairs over the last 5 years and they've all been great. They get used almost 100% of the time I'm not at work. The only time I don't wear them is when I'm in shorts and it's not really socially acceptable to wear shorts and boots. I just can't find shoes that I find comfortable.

If you want boots that actually keep your feet dry get some proper leather ones, and go to a decent outdoor shop and try as many on as possible. I get the impression you're from the UK, Go Outdoors have a good selection and IME helpful staff. If you've got size 9 feet I've got a lovely pair of Scarpa boots that I realised after walking for a week in them they're marginally too small for me so I'm trying to get rid  :facepalm: Anyone?

Given I spend every day in a pair of full leather steel toe capped boots I have no problem with relatively heavy boots, but I do have a problem with uncomfortable ones. My work boots are just like putting Gareth's old pair of slippers on, I love them to bits (and wear them to bits in about 9 months).

Offline marty1990

Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 07:35:08 PM
Hmm, I might invest in the Bear canteen then, might be useful and better that what I'm currently using.

Oh, I was just thinking of space instead of carrying a camping kettle or whatever round. I'll have a look at them.

I've started building up a little survival kit now. I'm just using the first aid kit which I bought from Sports Direct and I've filled it up. It's taking a fair amount of stuff, considering its size.

Apart from the stuff that came with the kit (emergency blanket, plasters, cleansing wipes, blister plasters, dressing, insect repellent wipe), I've added another emergency blanket, fire steel, tinder/cotton wool, mini Paraframe, a Swiss card - well a cheaper version, mainly for the scissors and built in torch - and a mini ceramic knife sharpener. I'll top it up with other stuff as and when I find/pick up more stuff for it. Anything else I can whack in there?

I like Craghoppers trousers, I have lots of pairs. I wear them for a couple of days as "clean" (evening and weekends) then they get a couple of days at work.

Oh cool, you'll know how to wash them then. Gave them a test run today and I got horse dung on them. Typical. Do I need Nikwax Tech Wash to wash them? Or can I use normal stuff? :/

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 01:36:28 AM
you probably should use something special on them, the magical waterproof coating doesn't last long on mine.
I just stick them in the wash with everything else, which includes a tumble dry at the end. If I get smurf on them at work I hose the worst of it off, and if it's really bad they just get dumped straight in the wash.

And when I say "get smurf on them", I work on a farm with a dairy herd and look after a biogas plant, some days there's smurf quite literally flying everywhere.

Offline marty1990

Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 02:02:32 AM
Ah okay, I'll try and just brush it off and wipe down then, and then when they're caked in crap, I'll use Nikwax on them. It was only a little bit muck anyway. If it had been mud I'd have not bothered with trying to clean it off, it's just when I got closer I realised it wasn't 'just' mud.

Also, I tested out the compression base layer. Not really a fan. Well, it worked fine, I threw a t-shirt over the base layer - because the base layer itself basically shows off my torso (found a slight beer belly which I've never really noticed before - this base layer made sure I could see it though, haha), and the t-shirt was dry as a bone, so it wicked or whatever great. Might try and get a looser one though, because it feels weird.

Are non-compression layers still as tight or are they generally looser?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 05:14:17 PM

I've started building up a little survival kit now. I'm just using the first aid kit which I bought from Sports Direct and I've filled it up. It's taking a fair amount of stuff, considering its size.

Apart from the stuff that came with the kit (emergency blanket, plasters, cleansing wipes, blister plasters, dressing, insect repellent wipe), I've added another emergency blanket, fire steel, tinder/cotton wool, mini Paraframe, a Swiss card - well a cheaper version, mainly for the scissors and built in torch - and a mini ceramic knife sharpener. I'll top it up with other stuff as and when I find/pick up more stuff for it. Anything else I can whack in there?

I would suggest a large Ziploc bag and water purification tablets will be great, and also put in Aspirin(for heart attack) and some anti-allergy meds may do some good too. :)

Offline flipe8

Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
One thing I take on backcountry trips is oatcakes. In cold weather, they don't freeze up like commercially made protein bars. We ate them daily on a 10 day kayaking trip to Newfoundland this past spring. I'd also invest in good undies that don't chaff. Exofficio makes really good ones I've used for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD