Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Gerber MOLLE sheath.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
The Gerber MOLLE sheath.
on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:42 AM
First and foremost, what is MOLLE?  ???

Now, I could secretly re-write most of what the Wiki on MOLLE has to say and make myself appear smarter than I really am. But instead I will let you go there and read it. In short MOLLE/PALS consists of rows of nylon webbing stitched to a larger carrier that is designed to allow various pouches and things to attach with a plastic strap that locks through the webbing.

I'm not actually sure where one buys the MOLLE sheath or what the available color options are. I couldn't find it on the Gerber homepage. This example came second-hand from Bladeforums and is ACU Digital Camouflage. Not my first choice for sheath color but I was actually buying the tool and was ambivalent about the sheath. Then I found out how neat this particular model is, and have added it to my EDC rotation.

What makes it so appealing to me?

• It's sturdy.
  • It has some play in the strap, allowing more comfort when driving or sitting.
  • Fastex buckle makes it one of the more secure sheaths on the market.
  • :)

To the actual sheath. Fit/finish is good. Some of the stitching is a little off but it doesn't affect functionality or strength. Overall sheath durability seems high, the material is thick and feels very sturdy. Fastex buckles are very durable.

It is significantly thicker than the regular Gerber sheath.  ;)

The plastic strap and integral nylon webbing allow both horizontal and vertical carry.  :o

Note the small section on the front of the sheath that holds the torx wrench for rotating the wire cutters. It holds the wrench secure but it is still easy to get to with little chance of accidental removal.

It only fits the tool one way and does not extend enough to accommodate a tool with the pliers extended.

How do you attach it to a MOLLE rig?

First, you acquire something with MOLLE on it. I so happen to have a Maxpedition Jumbo Fatboy-S, like most Maxpedition products it's covered with webbing for attaching cool gadgets purchased from countycomm that are rarely ever used.

Then you pry up the little tab on the plastic strap, this allows you to open the strap and slide it through the webbing.

Once through the webbing you slide the plastic strap into the locking mechanism and listen for it to click in.

Everything clicked in you are now ready to tackle all manner of exciting adventures. The grocery store! Taking the kids to the park! PTA meetings!  >:D

So there's one option. Everyone likes Maxpedition stuff, it's cool looking and very fashionable with the gear community (just don't let those Usual Suspects see it!) but what do you do if you don't have any Maxpedition?  :-\

Well, buck up! You can still stick the sheath on your belt! Depending on your personal preference it will either work great or feel like crap. Since it is not designed for belt carry it is very loose and is maybe a little too easy to move around. However, for me, this is excellent. It doesn't poke like normal sheaths when driving and sitting since the amount of play causes the sheath to move to more comfortable positions on it's own when driving/sitting.

Obviously it sits fat on the belt and looks best with a tucked in shirt, lest you appear to have a waist tumor of some sort. A little note here folks; if you ever have any reason to take pictures similar to the ones above just set the timer and do it yourself. Never ask for assistance from anyone else, the conversation goes as follows.

Them: "Why do you have two pouches on your belt? Camouflage? Hey Army man."
You: "I need you to take a picture of my waist so I can review the differences of the two sheaths for this multitool forum I post on."
Them: ???
Them: "You get paid for that?"
You: "No, it's like a hobby."
Them: *sighs, takes picture and looks at you weird the rest of the night.*
You: "Shut up."

Anyway. Problems with the sheath?

• Security provided by the buckle makes it hard to close the sheath with one hand. Expect to use two hands to accomplish this task.
  • Access is not as quick either since you just don't rip open Velcro or a snap, you need to find the tabs for the buckle and push them in to open.
  • Really floppy when using the tool and the sheath is open.
  • It is a MOLLE sheath and works best as designed.
  • May or may not be available for purchase.

Overall I like it. The ACU makes it kind of a novelty but the buckle is the really valuable part of this model. It's resistance to accidental opening makes it a good choice for me when working outdoors, bicycling and hiking. I'd buy it again, although maybe I'd go for the OD Green color instead. Color-coordinating is an important part of tactical accessorizing.  :D

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Re: The Gerber MOLLE sheath.
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:10 AM
Great review.  And timely as I am bidding on one.  I like to wear my sheaths horizontally. Do you have any pictures of it on your belt that way? Or do you think it would't work well horizontal?

Dennis

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:58 AM
Great review mate :). It does look a bit too bulky for belt carry though :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:44:17 PM
I have a Leatherman MOLLE sheath, and although it's black (not camo) and has a simple velcro fastener instead of the clip thing - it performs much like the one you show there spoon.

Quote from: Spoonrobot
You: "I need you to take a picture of my waist so I can review the differences of the two sheaths for this multitool forum I post on."
Them: Huh

I think we can all probably relate to that. It's a conversation that could take place in the household of any member here.....

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:50:23 AM
I have a Leatherman MOLLE sheath, and although it's black (not camo) and has a simple velcro fastener instead of the clip thing - it performs much like the one you show there spoon.

Quote from: Spoonrobot
Them: Huh

I think we can all probably relate to that. It's a conversation that could take place in the household of any member here.....

Yep  ;) :D :D :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17:58 PM
Great review mate :). It does look a bit too bulky for belt carry though :-\

hey micky,go ahead and say that after you tried extrema ratio 185 ros´s sheath;).now that is a one bugger,for folding knifes belt sheath.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:23:46 PM
I never had one of there folder's, but I did own a Shrapnel for a while :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:29:12 PM
thats really tough too.

that RAO´s sheath should be watched by every company that makes any tactical gear for mt´s and folders.id say its maybe the most durable sheath for folder ever,made from cordura,nylon or whatever synthetic material.
  didnt sog also do some molles?

that gerber looks good too,i like em without too much of velcro.since that stuff wears and loosens it grip.i know most of dudes wouldnt carry that gerber sheath cause theyre afraid of mocking as a "army man" or what ever but let the dogs bark,its about only thing theyre good at :D.im using all the time lots of army-related gear,clothes and stuff so i would like that one too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%