Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Swiss Clipper AT (TSA Friendly MT!)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Wenger Swiss Clipper AT (TSA Friendly MT!)
on: November 04, 2014, 07:11:10 PM
I just got a new Wenger Clipper AT from our very own Felinevet. Thanks, Tim!

While the tool wasn't intended for me, I thought I'd give a quick review and some first impressions.

First, a shot of it with a few other small MTs for scale...

The tool is about the same length as a Micra, built on the Wenger 65mm frame, but considerably thicker, due to the area needed to stow the nail clippers. I'd say it's about the same thickness as most 3-layer SAKs. This is about the only downside to this tool, and is pretty minor. It seemed pretty comfortable to me in the pocket. While it is thick, it's fairly light at about 1.35oz (38g).

The first tool on this MT, and where it takes its name, is a pair of nail clippers. I'm not sure what to say, other than they work just fine.

Next, the scissors. Here, they're being compared to the scissors on a 58mm Swisslite. While I'm not an avid fan of Wenger's serrated scissors, these cut nicely. I haven't put them up to a scissor challenge, but they're fine for the minor testing I did.

The nail file, again compared to a 58mm Vic. As with many of my Wengers, I think I'd file the very tip of the tool off, to make it into a mini philips.

As this is an 'AT' version, meaning 'Air Travel', a TSA approved tool, there's no blade. Instead, you get a micro flathead driver, perfectly suited for eyeglass size screws. Sorry, I didn't take a pick of that. And, of course, the standard toothpick and tweezers.

And finally, I figured I'd show it with the only other travel-friendly tool I have, the Leatherman Style PS.

This tool, the Leatherman Style PS, and the Vic Jetsetters are the only TSA approved MTs I know of. This is definitely a
nice addition for those minor grooming needs. We tend to travel with no checked bags, and so a tool like this comes in very handy.

There are still a number of these tools, with both red and translucent scales, available at EDC Source through Felinevet's store, at really great prices. Get them while they're still available! $19.99 shipped in the U.S. I think at that price, they're a pretty sweet deal.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Wenger Swiss Clipper AT (TSA Friendly MT!)
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
Great review. I bought one recently and love it. I use it for all my nail clipping needs.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:10 AM
Dumbest design flaw I've ever seen, and I'm flabbergasted that Vic kept this in the Delemont line: why would you have a nail-caring sak with nail-clipper, nail file, nail cleaner and tweezers paired up with serrated scrissors that make your nails look like cogwheels and bounce all over...  :facepalm:

I like the Wenger scrissors for general use, but for fingernails and paper, they are atrocious... why in God's green name would they use them here?

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:21:59 AM
Because you use the clippers on your fingernail, not the scissors. And if you did use the scissors, you have a file to file them smooth.
Nate

SEND IT!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 11:36:02 AM
Still not convinced. I am now cutting my nails with Vic scissors and they work great, no need for reshaping or "deburring"/filing.
Having scissors with a nail clipper should help on stubborn, broken, misshaped nails, where the clipper might fail.

Having the file to straighten up the nails afterwards is no excuse: it's like ... buying a saw without handle, but instead of giving you a handle, they give you bandages and needle&thread to stitch up the wounds you will get after using the saw...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:48:59 AM
Still not convinced. I am now cutting my nails with Vic scissors and they work great, no need for reshaping or "deburring"/filing.
Having scissors with a nail clipper should help on stubborn, broken, misshaped nails, where the clipper might fail.

Having the file to straighten up the nails afterwards is no excuse: it's like ... buying a saw without handle, but instead of giving you a handle, they give you bandages and needle&thread to stitch up the wounds you will get after using the saw...
Haha what?
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:32 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:31 PM
Dumbest design flaw I've ever seen, and I'm flabbergasted that Vic kept this in the Delemont line: why would you have a nail-caring sak with nail-clipper, nail file, nail cleaner and tweezers paired up with serrated scrissors that make your nails look like cogwheels and bounce all over...  :facepalm:

I like the Wenger scrissors for general use, but for fingernails and paper, they are atrocious... why in God's green name would they use them here?

I'm with ducttapetech on this one. I highly doubt they included the scissors to be used on your nails.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 05:47:45 PM
for something to go on a key ring for dealing with nails, I think I'd prefer something with the Vic scissors and no nail clippers. OK, so these may be neat and compact for nail clippers but they're still pretty big.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:08:44 PM
for something to go on a key ring for dealing with nails, I think I'd prefer something with the Vic scissors and no nail clippers. OK, so these may be neat and compact for nail clippers but they're still pretty big.

I would personally not carry this on my keyring. For me it would either go directly into my pocket or in my backpack/bag while travelling.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 06:48:56 PM
Yeah, this was purchased for my hubby, and he'll either carry it in his pocket or leave it in a carry-on bag. I think it's a little chunky for keychain carry IMO, but then, I don't like bulky keychains.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%