Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no Yeoman?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Why no Yeoman?
on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:57 PM
Was rooting around on SAKWiki and came across something called a yeoman.

Dang what a nice set of tools.  :drool:

Why did they discontinue this beauty?

us Offline charlie fox

Re: Why no Yeoman?
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:56:27 PM
I had and carried one for a few years. I found it looked good, but never really fit the bill for me.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:58:00 PM
My theory... so when people realize they want one, they have to buy a compact AND an explorer to then have the parts needed to make a yeoman!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:59 PM
Wow what are the odds.

I was about to post "Guess I will have to have Syph make me a Alox version". Like I got the warning when i went to post that someone had posted.

:rofl: :rofl:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:21:14 PM
They are, IMO, the perfect EDC and my favorite "modern" SAK. I carry a version with Timekeepers scales I made a while ago, and my wife always has her Sapphire scaled Yeoman with her. SwissBianco has special runs of them made pretty regularly, and you see them pop up used on eBay about once a month. But they are pretty easy to mod from an Explorer and Compact.

Why don't they sell them anymore? Lots of guys here talk about how Victorinox should make them again, they'd sell tons. I disagree. If there's anything Victorinox knows, it's the worldwide SAK market. There's a reason they stopped making them in the late 90s, and it wasn't because people were buying so many of them they couldn't make them fast enough.

Here's my theory - I think there are two reasons why they don't sell. First, most non-SAK people (i.e. 99.9% of the general population) simply don't get the appeal. SAKs are supposed to have LOTS of tool, not less tools. You put an Explorer and a Yeoman side by side and almost everyone will pick the Explorer. It has more! SAKs are supposed to have lots of things! Can openers and bottle openers and TWO blades! The Explorer rules, the Yeoman drools. However, Once you explain to people why the Yeoman is so much better, they almost always say "oh yeah, I didn't think of it that way. The Yeoman IS better". However, you can't have this individual conversation with every SAK buyer out there before they purchase.

Second, price. For some reason Victorinox always prices combo-tool knives higher than regular knives. Maybe its the plus scales (almost every combo tool knife comes with plus scales), the fancy file on the hook, I don't know. But you put a $40 Yeoman next to a $28 Explorer and people think "I get MORE for $12 less! Easy decision!"

So you end up with great knives like the Scientist and Yeoman sitting on shelves, unsold. Sad really. But if there was a big market for these knives, they'd make them. You don't stay in business for 125+ years by not knowing your market.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Very well reasoned JB! :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

Love my yeoman.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 06:35:36 PM
Why did they discontinue this beauty?

Victorinox exists for the purpose of generating revenue for its shareholders, so everything it does is ultimately a market strategery.  I suspect that the Yeoman was discontinued so consumers would keep buying other models in a vain attempt to find the perfect one.  For my part, the Yeoman almost the perfect SAK.  It has crucial elements like scissors and an inline phillips, without the wasted space of the cork screw (my opinion) and the redundant second blade.  It maxes out on the utility to size ratio.

Swissbianco Yeoman Plus.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 06:36:59 PM
You don't stay in business for 125+ years by not knowing your market.

My response to this is Apple.  :pok:

Great response though. Still going to need me one.

Is the holidays over yet? I need me a Syph Alox or four.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 07:00:49 PM
Ive always wanted a yeoman but stick with my explorer as not massively different, plus there so hard to find and expensive  :-\

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:04 PM
Ive always wanted a yeoman but stick with my explorer as not massively different, plus there so hard to find and expensive  :-\

Yeah it is just one more layer and no inline phillips right?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:59 PM
It has an inline phillips
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 07:10:33 PM
Yep spoke to soon i guess.

So one more layer and it has the back tools. Not hating the Explorer but I am thinking a custom built Yeoman might be my perfect minimal SAK.

Not to mention I could get the beauty, light weight and ease of maintenance of an Alox at the same time.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 07:19:35 PM

???  Not sure I get the point, sorry.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 07:24:11 PM
I would miss the tin opener as use it more than the caplifter,this is why i mainly carry my swisschamp  :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 07:24:50 PM

???  Not sure I get the point, sorry.

Its cool. In another thread here we was making fun of Apple. Guess it spilled over to this one.

Had a close call a few seconds ago. Checked FelineVets EDC store for a Yeoman. Luckily for my wallet he did not have any.

I would miss the tin opener as use it more than the caplifter,this is why i mainly carry my swisschamp  :D

The tool on the Yeoman is a combo tool that opens cans and bottles.  :tu:

Don't mean I don't want to buy a SC though. Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:26:50 PM by HarleyXJGuy »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 08:55:47 PM
Honestly I prefer the Explorer.  Why?  One of the most important uses my SAKs have is light prying and opening paint cans using the flat driver/bottle opener.  The combo tool isn't thick enough for this.  I've tried it several times with different knives including a Yeoman, and I've stopped because each time I was afraid I was going to break the Combo tool!  :ahhh  I have no problem pocket carrying a larger SAK, my Swisschamp sees plenty of pocket time, attached to a belt hanger to keep it vertical.  Never had an issue.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:11 PM
I've been thinking about making a Yeoman recently.
I even found somewhere selling a Waiter for a reasonable price.
Then I read this post.

The combo tool on the Yeoman is bad. It does everything...POORLY. I tried it as a bottle opener one time, and the sharpish tip punctured into a Coke bottle cap. Fail. I tried it as a screwdriver a few times, but it is usually too small for a regular size screw, and it closes up on me easily. Fail. Too big for a small screw, fail again. It just fails at EVERYTHING.

Now I'm not too sure.
Do I keep the opener layer and swap the mag glass for an electricians blade.
Or keep the mag glass and go four layers with electricians blade and awl.
Ditch the blade and keep it three layers.
So many options.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:16 PM
Well see that's the thing.  On paper the combo tools is great, in pratice I personally dont like it.  The combo tool does not replace a dedicated opener layer.  The versatility of the bottle opener / can opener are part of what makes a SAK a SAK to me.  The combo tool is much thinner and much more flimsy.  Its ok as a can opener, but aweful as a pry tool, bottle opener, screwdriver. 

Now that being said, I would still prefer an explorer without the mag glass.  If I could do the phillips across from both openers trick on a 91mm SAK that is a big winner to me.

1.  small blade / main blade
2.  scissors
3.  phillips / can opener / bottle opener

The closest stock model to ideal to me is a super tinker.  That is 3 layers of awesome tool right there.  Or deluxe tinker if you are ok with 4 layers.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:15:29 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 09:18:17 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Love my yeoman.

Prettiest sak I've ever seen...  :drool:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 09:24:29 PM
If I could do the phillips across from both openers trick on a 91mm SAK that is a big winner to me.

2.  scissors

I was just looking at pics of your alox one.
How much of a mission is it to do on a 91mm?
I'm thinking of...

1. awl / electricians blade
2. scissors
3. phillips / bottle opener / can opener

Thoughts?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 09:25:50 PM
Well see that's the thing.  On paper the combo tools is great, in pratice I personally dont like it.  The combo tool does not replace a dedicated opener layer.  The versatility of the bottle opener / can opener are part of what makes a SAK a SAK to me.  The combo tool is much thinner and much more flimsy.  Its ok as a can opener, but aweful as a pry tool, bottle opener, screwdriver. 

Now that being said, I would still prefer an explorer without the mag glass.  If I could do the phillips across from both openers trick on a 91mm SAK that is a big winner to me.

2.  scissors

The closest stock model to ideal to me is a super tinker.  That is 3 layers of awesome tool right there.  Or deluxe tinker if you are ok with 4 layers.

I started to write a response, then Syph said everything I was about to, even mentioning his Alox mod of the phillips across from the openers (which I need to get one of these days :) )  My usual carry is a Super Tinker, occasionally an Explorer if I can deal with carrying an extra layer.

I do still miss the Yeoman though (traded it away), even if only for light duty use.  Might have to make up another one someday.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
If I could do the phillips across from both openers trick on a 91mm SAK that is a big winner to me.

2.  scissors

I was just looking at pics of your alox one.
How much of a mission is it to do on a 91mm?
I'm thinking of...

1. awl / electricians blade
2. scissors
3. phillips / bottle opener / can opener

Thoughts?

I tried to do it o  a 91 and its really not possible.  91s are not symmetrical so the springs cant be flipped around. Symmetry is part of what makes the 93 a perfect platform.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 10:03:32 PM
The combo tool is a weak screwdriver and should not be considered as a pry tool. That said, I have found it a very capable cap lifter and can opener. So from that angle, you need to consider how much you do of what activity.

For example, if you need a phillips driver but don't encounter stubborn screws, a back spring phillips would be fine. Inline phillips wins when a little more oomph is required. Same with the combo tool vs cap lifter. If flat head drivers or prying is not high on your priority list, then a combo tool may be just the ticket.

You could of course carry a little one piece tool on your keys to take care of the rogue flat driving or prying tasks that arise. I nearly always pair my SAK with a pliers tool to compensate for the limitations of the SAK pliers, so between the two tools, I can handle most things I'll encounter. If the SAK doesn't have something such as scissors, phillips, robust flat driver, I'll be sure that the tool it's paired with can cover any shortcomings

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 10:04:26 PM
Well see that's the thing.  On paper the combo tools is great, in pratice I personally dont like it.  The combo tool does not replace a dedicated opener layer.  The versatility of the bottle opener / can opener are part of what makes a SAK a SAK to me.  The combo tool is much thinner and much more flimsy.  Its ok as a can opener, but aweful as a pry tool, bottle opener, screwdriver

2.  scissors

I started to write a response, then Syph said everything I was about to, even mentioning his Alox mod of the phillips across from the openers (which I need to get one of these days :) )  My usual carry is a Super Tinker, occasionally an Explorer if I can deal with carrying an extra layer.

I do still miss the Yeoman though (traded it away), even if only for light duty use.  Might have to make up another one someday.

what kind of bottles are you guys trying to open with the combo tool?? :think: I agree that it doesn't stand up to prybar-like use. I haven't tried opening a can with it, but I'm guessing it won't do too well. But I've been carrying a Yeoman around the house lately (thanks eddie!), and the combo tool opens my evening beverages without any problems at all...

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:04 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Love my yeoman.

Prettiest sak I've ever seen...  :drool:

Thank you.  Probably my most expensive build to date.

Combo tool as can opener works very well.  I use one almost 3 times a week for canned tuna and it works exactly as it should.  The yeoman is without a doubt the best tool layout for urban environment.

us Offline mrog

Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 10:23:20 PM
Gotta have Alox. Gotta have a symmetric 3 layers so I can have a pocket clip. Gotta have pliers! 3 layers and pliers means I can't have both openers. I have a Stanley pocket screwdriver at home, in my car, at work, and in my bag to cover extra Phillips and flathead needs.

A custom Alox SAK would be my pocket knife + extra. Not my entire toolbox. I love the small Vic pliers. They're like a small pair of metal fingers in my pocket. I think people over look the pliers because they have to in order to get the other tools on their SAK and still have it be comfortable in the pocket. I have to have the slimness of Alox and screwed on pocket clip. The plastic scales + suspension clip is too long and thick.

Combo tool does a little bit of scraping/poking/awl-ing, a little bit of Phillips, a little bit of flat heads, a little bit of prying, and bottles & cans. For me, it's not combo vs seperate openers, it's combo vs awl. I still choose combo though.

Clip >
-------------------------
Scissors >
Combo tool > < Blade
Pliers >

So my point is I like Pliers over 3D Philips & mag glass.
Or you can just SAK up and carry a Spirit X :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:45:34 PM by mrog »
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 10:41:10 PM
Well see that's the thing.  On paper the combo tools is great, in pratice I personally dont like it.  The combo tool does not replace a dedicated opener layer.  The versatility of the bottle opener / can opener are part of what makes a SAK a SAK to me.  The combo tool is much thinner and much more flimsy.  Its ok as a can opener, but aweful as a pry tool, bottle opener, screwdriver

2.  scissors

what kind of bottles are you guys trying to open with the combo tool?? :think: I agree that it doesn't stand up to prybar-like use. I haven't tried opening a can with it, but I'm guessing it won't do too well. But I've been carrying a Yeoman around the house lately (thanks eddie!), and the combo tool opens my evening beverages without any problems at all...

Glad it's getting put to work  :D  As a cap lifter, the combo tool is fine.  As a screwdriver, I had some concern about using too much torque (especially at the 90-degree position).  As a prying tool, that's where it bent.  I realize it's not sold as a pry tool or anything, but I've often used the standard cap lifter as a pry tool and it does fine.  So that's my internal debate, give up a little sturdiness or give up the slim 3 layers...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 11:16:37 PM
Gotta have Alox. Gotta have a symmetric 3 layers so I can have a pocket clip. Gotta have pliers! 3 layers and pliers means I can't have both openers. I have a Stanley pocket screwdriver at home, in my car, at work, and in my bag to cover extra Phillips and flathead needs.

A custom Alox SAK would be my pocket knife + extra. Not my entire toolbox. I love the small Vic pliers. They're like a small pair of metal fingers in my pocket. I think people over look the pliers because they have to in order to get the other tools on their SAK and still have it be comfortable in the pocket. I have to have the slimness of Alox and screwed on pocket clip. The plastic scales + suspension clip is too long and thick.

Combo tool does a little bit of scraping/poking/awl-ing, a little bit of Phillips, a little bit of flat heads, a little bit of prying, and bottles & cans. For me, it's not combo vs seperate openers, it's combo vs awl. I still choose combo though.

Clip >
Scissors >
Combo tool > < Blade
Pliers >

So my point is I like Pliers over 3D Philips & mag glass.
Or you can just SAK up and carry a Spirit X :P

I've done combo/blade/pliers/scissors a couple times on alox.  It is a nice slim package if you need pliers.   :tu:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 11:22:49 PM
Love my yeoman. Combo tool as can opener works very well.
:drool:

As mrog already said:
Combo tool does a little bit of scraping/poking/awl-ing, a little bit of Phillips, a little bit of flat heads, a little bit of prying, and bottles ...
but indeed is a great can opener :tu:

So, of course, as a screwdriver/prybar the combo tool can't compete with "openers" (in prying, scraping, orange peeling >:D, large SD, small SD ...), but that is the "no-openers tax" one have to deal with :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%