Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirk's HFT shooting blog 16981

Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,975
Re: Kirk's HFT shooting blog
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
I took the Ultra down to Ham to check zero on the September guest day. First five shots into a 5p sized target gave me a ragged 5p sized group. The second group done the same :facepalm:

The last shoot I did was at Swallows,with Tony's mum on driving duties again.

Lovely day,not much wind,warm and dry! Scored 49x60. Tony had reckoned I was on for a 55 at one stage. The north field mucked things up for me. Cross and head winds I can work with,but the breeze was coming from behind(no fart jokes please) and it just messed me up,as well as Tony,and the trio ahead of us.

Still,it should have been a gold,except some sod cleared the course :rant:

Yesterday was the last round of the Horsham Summer Champs. Didn't get to it,but I won the 22/recoiling class outright.

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,179
« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
Sounds like we've had similar seasons mate. ::)  I've had two OK comps, one good one and the rest were bloody awful.  Some were me making mistakes in set-up, others were me just not putting my best foot forward.  Changing from PCP to recoiling half way through the season did me no favours either.  Next year I'll be going into recoiling from the get go and I'm aiming to be in the top five. 

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Gareth,it's a funny one for me. I've won three trophies,gotten two golds,some silvers,and also some truly smurfty results. My real goal was to try and raise my average score,and on that basis,it's been an utter fail!

What I have learnt,much to my ire,is that 1) how well I do is based mostly on what side of the bed I get out of; 2) those good days,when all the targets do go down,are less satisfying than the hard days; 3) I probably need psychiatric help!

Saying all that,the new season starts in earnest in November with the start of the 15/16 Southern Hunters. It also looks like I'll be running this years Night Shoots at Ham.

I'm surprised this thread has generated the number of replies and views that it has!

Role on the new season,and good luck Gareth!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:40:40 PM by kirk13 »

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
I think my real aim (if you'll pardon the pun) is to cut out the silly mistakes in set-up.  Far too many times this year I've found something loose/misaligned/over pressure/dirty/too tight etc. etc. and all of it avoidable with a bit more care and attention on the day before the shoot. 

The other thing is to not let one bad shot ruin my shooting for the rest of the round.  I actually managed this on Sunday.  I slipped on a supported standing shot and donutted it, when it was a pretty easy two and a absolute given for a single. :doh:

After a few choice colourful words I managed to settle down and knocked over a tiny 30 yard, elevated shot in a cross wind that two groups of PCP shooter who were in front of me were claiming was stuck and had wanted it pulled.  I have to say that it rather put a smile back on my face when it fell over for me. :D

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »
I'm also rather happy to say that this is the end of the competition season in Scotland.  From here on out it's all about having fun at my club, including a night shoot for Halloween. 8)

« Reply #305 on: October 12, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »
I think my real aim (if you'll pardon the pun) is to cut out the silly mistakes in set-up.  Far too many times this year I've found something loose/misaligned/over pressure/dirty/too tight etc. etc. and all of it avoidable with a bit more care and attention on the day before the shoot. 

The other thing is to not let one bad shot ruin my shooting for the rest of the round.  I actually managed this on Sunday.  I slipped on a supported standing shot and donutted it, when it was a pretty easy two and a absolute given for a single. :doh:

After a few choice colourful words I managed to settle down and knocked over a tiny 30 yard, elevated shot in a cross wind that two groups of PCP shooter who were in front of me were claiming was stuck and had wanted it pulled.  I have to say that it rather put a smile back on my face when it fell over for me. :D

It's always nice when that happens,isn't it >:D

One of the mind management thicks I've been working on is not looking at my score card. I realised that regardless how I was doing,it was putting me under more pressure. Now I just treat every shot as a shot.

Unless it's a bad day

Then I'll rant and rave :whistle:

« Reply #306 on: October 13, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Yeah, I've been trying to ignore my score card as well, though I've not yet been totally successful. :whistle:

I've also been trying to slow down.  You get two minutes at the peg and I'm a terrible habit of not using them.  I've now built myself a nice little routine that gives myself a chance to settle into every shot.  I've yet to shoot a competition where all the groups don't get bunched up anyway.

Whether it made a difference or not I don't know, but I did enjoy the fact that on Sunday I happened to be shooting with two other chaps with spring guns.  Nice to be able to compare apples with apples as they say.

« Reply #307 on: October 20, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »
Home shoot at Horsham on Sunday,and it ended up being just a perfect day! Score of 43x60 wasn't great,but I tied with Tony. It was just good being out in the woods,with the Ultra slung over my shoulder.

Was over at Ham earlier this evening. I put a new battery into my FWB 95. So I done my first bit of serious 10m pistol shooting in a few years. I'll post a pic of the targets tomorrow so we can all have a laugh :tu:

« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2015, 01:46:35 AM »
The SussexInterclub ended with a 'fun shoot' at Horsham. Supposedly the ranges to the targets were marked,although,in Horshams best traditions,very few of the figures were true.

Final score was 44x60. Average,but considering another 22 shooter knocked in a 50...

Mind you,Tony had a good day with his new S400,scoring a 54.

And so one year ends.

« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2015, 01:55:50 AM »
And another one begins...

Sunday was the first round of the 2015/16 Southern Hunters at the old RAF/FAA airbase at Ford Ranges. And in the best traditions of Ford,the wind whipped up! 41x60 didn't feel to bad,considering Tony done a 40, and the guys before us with the Daystate done a 42. Sadly top score in 22 was a fifty( although I have my doubts as to whether there wasn't some...pork pies involved)

For all that,I really enjoyed the shoot,which included the RAF doing an unscheduled fly past with a Chinook(and no,there were no bonus points for hitting it)

Tonight also seen the first round of the winter night shoots at Ham. Only one other regular showed up,but we had a probie join us. Rather than score it,we ran it as a fun shoot. It may have payed off. There's a few more probes interested in round two in December!

« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Nice going John. :cheers:

My club had a Halloween night shoot on the appropriate night and I came home with a 29x40 (20 targets unsupported kneeling or standing only, no prone).  Not a bad score but a ways from the top. :shrug:  First time I'd ever done a night shoot and, while it was fun, it's not something I'd want to do a lot.

I also brought home the Doughnut trophy.  Anyone who missed No17 had their name put in a hat and mine was the one drawn.  Great. ::)

I've also invested a little money in a new scope: a Hawke Vantage 4-14x40. 

« Reply #311 on: November 30, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
It was round one of Horshams Winter Championship Sunday just gone.

Given that an autumn storm was blowing through,with 40mph winds being forecast,I wasn't certain there was much point in even getting out of bed,but HFT shooters arn't known for being sensible.

39x60 doesn't sound too good,but the winning score in class was 41! Even better,only two Open class shooters scored over 45!

As with last winter,this Championship uses a hunter format,so there's no easy shots,and do rules re target size/distance.

High point of the morning was a knock down on peg one. Mini target set ten metres up,in the Field of Tears,with the wind whipping in. Tony doughnutted, Don doughnutted,but the stubby guy with the stubby BSA knocked it down! I just rolled around on the ground laughing!

Great morning!

« Reply #312 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »

My club had a Halloween night shoot on the appropriate night and I came home with a 29x40 (20 targets unsupported kneeling or standing only, no prone).  Not a bad score but a ways from the top. :shrug:  First time I'd ever done a night shoot and, while it was fun, it's not something I'd want to do a lot.

I also brought home the Doughnut trophy.  Anyone who missed No17 had their name put in a hat and mine was the one drawn.  Great. ::)

How's the Hawke working out G?

Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 36,546
« Reply #313 on: December 01, 2015, 02:07:08 AM »
High point of the morning was a knock down on peg one. Mini target set ten metres up,in the Field of Tears,with the wind whipping in. Tony doughnutted, Don doughnutted,but the stubby guy with the stubby BSA knocked it down! I just rolled around on the ground laughing!

Great morning!

Awesome.   :tu:
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,682
« Reply #314 on: December 01, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »

Great morning!

Sometimes all it takes is a win at the right point :tu:

also, gloating is the best
 :rofl:

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

Great morning!

Sometimes all it takes is a win at the right point :tu:

also, gloating is the best
 :rofl:

Nothing feels better than beating your friends.  :D  Sounds like a great day out mate. :cheers:

How's the Hawke working out G?

I've got to admit that November has been a bit of a write-off as far as shooting's gone. :-[  I've had a virus that's just knocked me for six for a couple of weeks and had other stuff to do on the weekends anyway.  Still, I have managed to shoot with it a couple of times and so far so good. :tu:

« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Well I managed to get in a round at the club today and so far I'm very happy with the new scope.  For one thing it had sat idle for a good 5-6 weeks and been bumped around in it's hard case and it was still spot on for it's zero.  Other than the ground being frozen solid it was a near perfect day for shooting and I was very happy with a 50x60.  It did take me 7 or so targets to get my eye in and remember how to shoot though. :doh:  After that it was plain sailing and it was only a couple of positional shots that let me down.

« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2015, 12:37:24 AM »
Well I managed to get in a round at the club today and so far I'm very happy with the new scope.  For one thing it had sat idle for a good 5-6 weeks and been bumped around in it's hard case and it was still spot on for it's zero.  Other than the ground being frozen solid it was a near perfect day for shooting and I was very happy with a 50x60.  It did take me 7 or so targets to get my eye in and remember how to shoot though. :doh:  After that it was plain sailing and it was only a couple of positional shots that let me down.

50 is a good day at the office!

Speaking of positionals,I may,finally have unsupported kneeler so sussed. Watch this space!

« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2015, 12:41:12 AM »
Update...

Southern Hunters Round 3

I'd high hopes for this one! West London Rangers is where I'd score 50(and a Gold) last season,and I traditionally do fairly well there. Despite the tail end of storm winds,it wasn't a bad shooting day. I didn't do anything too wrong,but still ended up on a fairly miserable 41x60 :think:

Either at some point soon,something is going to click,or I'll have to accept if not that good :shrug:

« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
Over the weekend Tony kindly fitted a new air chamber to the Ultra. The new one is from the Scorpion,kinda the Ultras big brother. All being well,it'll give me 45 shot to a fill,over the currant 35-6.

Only problem is,I need to recheck the power level,and I can't get my Combro CB625 to play ball. If any of you are any good with one,drop me a PM.

Upshot was I had to take the 97 out of mothballs for this evenings night shoot at Ham.

Ended up winning overall with 25x30. I thought I was in trouble after plating the first five targets,but once I got my grove going...

Always nice beating PCP shooters with a springer >:D

« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »

50 is a good day at the office!

Speaking of positionals,I may,finally have unsupported kneeler so sussed. Watch this space!

Definitely glad I topped the 50, but still aware that it could have been better. ;)  Given that I'd not shot in a month and I didn't give myself any kind of warm-up the fact I didn't have my eye in on the first 10 is forgivable I think.  Adding to that I still need to confirm my new aim points and write up my range card.  Still, it give me a real confidence boost that everything is working well.

Over the weekend Tony kindly fitted a new air chamber to the Ultra. The new one is from the Scorpion,kinda the Ultras big brother. All being well,it'll give me 45 shot to a fill,over the currant 35-6.

Only problem is,I need to recheck the power level,and I can't get my Combro CB625 to play ball. If any of you are any good with one,drop me a PM.

Upshot was I had to take the 97 out of mothballs for this evenings night shoot at Ham.

Ended up winning overall with 25x30. I thought I was in trouble after plating the first five targets,but once I got my grove going...

Always nice beating PCP shooters with a springer >:D

Top job mate. :hatsoff:

« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
What's not playing ball with the Combro?

« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »

It's not registering any shots. It's not even kicking up a fault reading

« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »

I can ask my mate if he's got any ideas.

« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »

I can ask my mate if he's got any ideas.

:salute:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,001 Smurf it!
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
I've not used one but having had a look at the website there isn't any 'crud' blocking the led's or the receivers is there?

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
I've not used one but having had a look at the website there isn't any 'crud' blocking the led's or the receivers is there?

That would be my first thought as well, that it's not 'seeing' the pellet for some reason.  I've emailed my mate who is a big fan to see if he's got any bright ideas.

« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »

That would be my first thought as well, that it's not 'seeing' the pellet for some reason.  I've emailed my mate who is a big fan to see if he's got any bright ideas.

Yeah,very possible. I'll be having a look at that tonight

« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
OK, here's some ideas from my man:

As to the Combro, three  thoughts.  Before doing anything else, change the batteries.  The Combro absolutely eats them and when they start to run low it goes haywire in all sorts of unpredictable ways.  I now take the batteries out if I’m not going to be using them for more than a few day.  Second, use the proper alignment tool – don’t try to line it up by eye, or with any makeshifts.  Finally, make sure there are no artificial light sources whatever anywhere near the thing, neither fluorescent, nor ordinary incandescent.  I can’t stress this too much, whatever the instructions may say.

« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »
OK, here's some ideas from my man:

As to the Combro, three  thoughts.  Before doing anything else, change the batteries.  The Combro absolutely eats them and when they start to run low it goes haywire in all sorts of unpredictable ways.  I now take the batteries out if I’m not going to be using them for more than a few day.  Second, use the proper alignment tool – don’t try to line it up by eye, or with any makeshifts.  Finally, make sure there are no artificial light sources whatever anywhere near the thing, neither fluorescent, nor ordinary incandescent.  I can’t stress this too much, whatever the instructions may say.

My thanks to you and your man...I think there's a winner in there...artificial light :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $275.46
PayPal Fees: $15.75
Net Balance: $259.71
Below Goal: $40.29
Site Currency: USD
87%