Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

soloscientific

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
soloscientific
on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:30 PM
Got an Aurora fire starter from these guys some six months ago. Looks great, their customer support swears it will outlive me and my grandchildren, and this planet. It was new at the time, with no reviews to be found.

Well, it sucks. The soft blade got completely dull after maybe 30 strikes and produced no sparks since. I turned it around as instructed, with minimal improvement. The design only allows for two of the blade's four edges to be used, "encouraging" purchase of additional blades from the company (sold separately, of course). There was no box and no key attached for the hex bolt.

A query as to the origin of the problem produced a "thank you" note for letting them know.

I eventually had another groove made (doubling the blade's life) and inserted a new blade made from a kitchen knife (works about a thousand times better and won't get dull any time soon), but am still very dissappointed with both product and service, considering my alternative was a Blast Match from Ultimate Survival.  >:(
W

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: soloscientific
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:40:45 PM
Sorry to hear there a bit crap, thanks for letting the rest of us know :salute:

BTW both the Blast Match and the Ultimate Survival match striker thing (sorry can't remember it's name) are extremely reliable :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:47:24 PM
its a shame since the looks of Aurora fire starter promise more than they give then.good to know its not good since  i would have choosed the same gadget u did if id take it just by the looks.

Offline Rodion

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:22:23 PM
both the Blast Match and the Ultimate Survival match striker thing (sorry can't remember it's name) are extremely reliable :)

Oh look, some salt! Let me pour that all over this wound here.  :pok:

its a shame since the looks of Aurora fire starter promise more than they give then.good to know its not good since  i would have choosed the same gadget u did if id take it just by the looks.

If you like it so much, I can send you mine for a real firesteel (or enough green to buy me a Blast Match). The rod has seen use, but my custom striker works great. Needs some force to insert it, though.
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:02 PM
no no  :D

i think it looks better than those other fire makers,due to metallic construction of it but if i understood your writing correct,it doesnt function that well.where/how is the scraper in it?

that wouldnt be hard to do all by my self,it seems its quite simple construction.
does it use some lathe bladebit for making sparks or some really odd shaped?

Offline Rodion

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:45:55 AM
Hopefully, will satisfy your curiosity.
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:48 AM
yep it did,thank u sir.

Offline Rodion

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:57:15 AM
Well what do you know, it seems The Man cares what us little people have to say.  >:D

Here's what SS had to say on the matter (you can find the comment linked above):

The Aurora that you have is an older model. The new Aurora Fire Starters (ship the end of this month) have been dramatically improved. The knurl is much cleaner, o-ring mounting has been redesigned, the upper & lower ends of the unit are chamfered, the threading is smoother, and the keyring/lanyard hole is larger than the original units

Thank You,
Solo Scientific
Manufacturer of the Aurora Fire Starter
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68