Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Delemont Rangers... maybe my new favorite SAKs.

Sags · 10 · 1502

us Offline Sags

I've already got a few of the Wenger Ranger/Rangergrip series.  While a bit bulky for EDC they have become my go to camping knife, specifically my orange Rangergrip 79.827 which is pretty close to perfection in a camping knife for me.

I say close, because the only faults I can find with it is the can opener  (I've always found the Vic can opener to be not only a much faster can opener, but also a passable #2 phillips driver in a pinch) and the lack of tweezers/toothpick.

I know I don't check in as often as I could here, so perhaps I'm behind the times, but I see that the new Victorinox iteration of the Rangergrips have the superior Vic can opener AND tweezers/toothpick.

:gimme:

Haven't ordered on yet, because I can't find the toolset I want.  Looking for OHO plain edge blade, saw, bottle opener, can opener, and awl  and CORKSCREW on the back.  Most of them seem to have the #2 phillips instead of the corkscrew.  I'd love to find it in orange or green or yellow too.  (just don't favor the red and black myself) 

Can anybody point me in the right direction?  My current favorite (the 79.827) I found on German eBay, but I've had no luck there so far.

us Offline Sags

Re: Victorinox Delemont Rangers... maybe my new favorite SAKs.
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:53:48 AM
This guy with a plain edge blade would be my new favorite knife.

Anybody seen such a beast anywhere?

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:10:13 AM
Hi,
the Rangergrip you have (79.827) with orange scales was only made for the German market (it is shown in the german Wenger catalogs and in the Herbertz catalog I uploaded on the wiki).
It can be found in Europe (all amazon stores have it), but could be difficult to find outside EU.
Have a look at this topic
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54037.msg974452.html#msg974452
Basically what you are looking for is a RangerGrip 79, assuming that you really like these "new" Ranger's.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:14:47 AM by basilio »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:40 AM
I also like the Delémont Rangers, I already liked the Wenger ones, but Victorinox took out the little "flaws".

Here's another topic I started about these great knives.

de Offline coSAK

• Mounted Swiss Army Knight
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:04:52 PM
This guy with a plain edge blade would be my new favorite knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

Anybody seen such a beast anywhere?

You are looking for the RangerGrip 79 (0.9563.MC). Just need to swap the scales.
WANTED: Red Farmer, Red Harvester, Soldier/SI 1975, Genuine Horn scales, Wenger 19th Hole Cigar Cutter

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:07 PM
I've stated this before,"I like big knives". Not that anybody pays attention to what I have to say,least of all my wife.Just kidding dear.LOL.

I do believe Vic did lend this big knife series some serious credibility.

The Wenger Snow Camo model 50 was my favorite Ranger until Vic made improvements to this existing line of big knives.

DSCN1399-1.jpg
* DSCN1399-1.jpg (Filesize: 150.16 KB)
DSCN1401-1.jpg
* DSCN1401-1.jpg (Filesize: 157.04 KB)
DSCN1643.JPG
* DSCN1643.JPG (Filesize: 91.98 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:54:31 PM
This is another of this series of knives that I've bought since Vic took over Wenger.

Another picture of the Wenger Snow Camo model 50 Light Hunter.
DSCN1691-1.jpg
* DSCN1691-1.jpg (Filesize: 244.83 KB)
DSCN1082-1.jpg
* DSCN1082-1.jpg (Filesize: 213.59 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:09:14 AM
I really want to try me one of those, OHO plain edge + saw.

What are your thoughts on the OHO blade? To me it seems better suited for food prep than for general utility cutting chores. I prefer the 111mm Vic blade for the latter, judging by the Wenger Ranger I can draw my conclusions from. The problem is I can't bring myself to using it to find out more.

I'm also curious about the fit and feel of the new Evo scales.

:ahhh

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:52 AM
I like the OHO blade.

The new Ranger Grip is slimmer than the older scales on the Wenger 130 series.The rubber inserts also add to the feeling of security when gripping this knife.

The new blades are fully capable of performing chores in the kitchen or in the field.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:11 AM
Thank you :)

:think: Sweet OHO blade, capable for various uses + comfier scales + gratifying size + Vic quality = I gotta get my hands on one of those or three.

:ahhh

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44