Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Throwback to my misspent youth

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Throwback to my misspent youth
on: November 27, 2014, 03:46:43 PM
I came across some old knives the other day- horrid things that I purchased before I knew any better.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  This particular piece of crud was purchased during my "I love tantos because they stab through anything" phase, and if it had a squared tip I bought it. 

This remarkable piece of junk was pretty cheap- I don't recall paying more than $20 or $30 for it, which is the threshold for junk.  If I recall correctly, I believed it was junk at the time I bought it, although as I said, I bought anything with an American Tanto point in those days. 

This thing was originally designed as a skinning knife, then they changed the curved skinning blade to a tanto point to create a second model.  The original was likely also crap, but didn't have a tanto point so I didn't buy it.  This one was originally called the Trophy Master as you can see in the photos, but nowadays it seems to be called the Guardian Tanto by the crud peddlers that offer it to discount shops everywhere- United Cutlery.

It actually does take a halfways decent edge and will hold it for an hour or two provided you don't actually try to use it, and the plastic sheath holds it quite well and seems to have been molded from old retainers.  It's about three times thicker than it needs to be.  But then, you wouldn't want a dangerous ninja weapon with a skinning knife pedigree to get loose on you, so it's a good think that the sheath holds it quite securely.

But, nowadays I can think of a dozen decent alternatives for $20-30, so I wouldn't recommend anyone buy junk like this.  Strong sales of crap just encourages companies like United Cutlery to not jump off a bridge.

Still, it's a part of my history, and we all have things we aren't proud of in our past!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Throwback to my misspent youth
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:59:22 PM
Oh I have (had) so many absolute crap knives that I bought because they were "cool" looking.  If only I knew then what I know now.  Wait... Nothing now, would be nothing then...  :think: 

I think I actually threw out most of the old crap knives I have bought.  I still have my Buck 110 ripoff, and a couple of others, but most are thankfully gone.  I'll be making sure my son starts the path of pointiness off right!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:25:13 PM
be careful- by the time your son gets old enough to start buying his own knives they are going to all be made from cerama-fiber and lasers....

:jedi:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:50:48 PM
I could see myself getting the same thing, if I were a teenager and just saw something similar in an action movie.  :)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 05:00:20 PM
be careful- by the time your son gets old enough to start buying his own knives they are going to all be made from cerama-fiber and lasers....

:jedi:

Def
I want one made from cerama-fiber and lasers!  :(

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:21 PM
I would just settle for one made out of cookies.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:11 AM
Haha I still have some big belly skinning knives with gut hooks laying around that roll the edge when taken outta the crap sheaths.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:00:55 AM
I think we've all had utter crap like that at one time or another :D

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
I have saved the best for later.  My camera battery died on me while taking photos of it. I don't think they ran out of power so much as refused to take any more photos of it!

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%