Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How long could you survive?

Aloha · 86 · 4825

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: How long could you survive?
Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 07:20:26 PM
For those wondering how you might cook food in a situation with no power, maybe consider this simple rocket stove design. Rocket stoves are good because they don't use a lot of fuel and you can feed long branches in without having to cut them up.

us Offline David

Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 07:27:51 PM
That is interesting Lynn. I had not seen that type of stove before.    :tu:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:50:22 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 07:29:07 PM
Lynn great idea,  I like Propane and have planned for not cooking also.  Canned Tuna and other canned foods are good without any heating IMO.  There's a good 3 bean salad and some Vegi's that are not bad at all straight from the can.

I have small alcohol stove ( trsngia ), isobutane stove ( pocket rocket clone ), charcoal, and a sterno stove that should aid.  I do make sure tho to buy foods that I like at room temp and that dont NEED cooking.

I also live in a warm climate so those who live in a colder climate may need to heat foods.   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:31:51 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:44 AM
For those wondering how you might cook food in a situation with no power, maybe consider this simple rocket stove design. Rocket stoves are good because they don't use a lot of fuel and you can feed long branches in without having to cut them up.

I always like this stove. Works well. But keep in mind, sometimes the cinder blocks can't handle the heat and break.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:19 AM

I always like this stove. Works well. But keep in mind, sometimes the cinder blocks can't handle the heat and break.

You'd also need to be under cover in case of rain.  All options are good but I'll stick to propane and the other options given that I live an area that doesnt get much rain.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:29:24 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:46 AM
All options are good but I'll stick to propane and the other options given that I live an are that doesnt get much rain.

It's definitely important to plan for your given environment. Around here, we get plenty of rain, and firewood just falls out of trees. Too often... Right on our lawn... Just... RIGHT THERE!  :rant:

:rofl:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 03:16:44 AM
Probably 4 weeks. I feel very confident in my survival skills just though scouts and residential survival courses (In scouts as well)

Not to mention I've got a ton of stuff hidden everywhere.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: December 12, 2014, 08:55:15 PM
I remembered reading this thread the first round while I was leaving office, and has no time to reply.  If I were to answer how long do I have to survive in my office, probably 7-10 days max, given we have a very small fridge at home with virtually no food, just a kitchen sink and water machine(probably 2 gallons) for water. 

Where I live and work is in a complete concrete jungle, and storage space is minimum for everyone in this city(probably top 5 expensive real estate prices in the world), unless people are willing to pay literally a few million dollars to get extra space for 'prepping'. 

Now I am replying at home, I do have a fair supply of instant food, rice, meat, veggie and etc.  So the life span probably will stretch out to 2-3 weeks, given I could have few minutes to fill up the water.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 12:44:09 AM
We have enough stored food and water to live comfortably for 10 days without rationing it. There's myself, my wife and our 4 yo Daughter in our household.
In our Emergency Cupboard is:
100L of Spring Water,
10L UHT Milk,
30 Canned Protein,
30 Canned Vegetables,
10 Canned Fruit,
3Kg Pasta,
3Kg Rice,
3Kg Oats,
10 x Instant Noodles,
100 Tea light candles and a BIC,
1 x Toothpaste,
8 x Toilet paper rolls,
and a spare 9Kg Propane Cylinder in the garage for the BBQ.
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 03:37:39 AM
I meant to revisit this thread after a year.  I'm not off by much tho. 

Ok so has anything changed for you? 

Remember this was the scenario,

All the services are no long working from electricity, gas, water, or what ever runs your home.  You only have what's in your pantry and fridge and whatever means to cook it besides those listed. 

You wont have the ability to leave your property under any circumstances for supplies.  You property is not damaged so you have shelter but only the provisions you currently have on hand RIGHT NOW.

IF you have propane or charcoal or similar and the means to cook with then fine.  There will be no ransacking the neighbors homes  :D.

I started to assemble my "pantry" soon after I posted this last year.  The most difficult part is water.  Having enough water on hand will be my greatest challenge.  Comis mentioned "having enough time to fil containers".  I don't have enough containers to fill.

Food wise I know have about 3 months worth of provisions.  Majority is consumable un cooked/heated.  I have more coleman fuel and some iso butane for my stoves.  I also have several bottle of rubbing alcohol and heat for my trangia. 

I've not figured out where I'd eliminate over the long haul tho as I said there is a park very near by and I do have a shovel.

I think with very careful management I can go longer with my food.  Water is still the big issue. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #70 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:08 PM
I have a stack of small paper bags for recycling.  I'd be happy to use that for elimination of waste products.  I'd throw them at anyone that attempts to come onto my property unbidden, and I imagine they would never return.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #71 on: December 08, 2015, 09:52:40 PM
My appartment isn't built for a survival scenario. I could kill some pigeons and sparrows and that's it. I could collect water from rain but it rains rarely in Athens. I could  also make a water evaporator and make water from seawater. I could also fish (unless 3 million people living here try to do the same, I think people are more than fishes).
In my summer house I have many more options. I'm not a survival speSmurfpillst (I was a physician in the special forces, not a commando myself, there's a difference) but I believe in insticts. I don't want to  think about it now, but, as a doctor I know that other people are edible. As long as you don't kill them yourself and your family survival relies on it, scavenging is an option.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #72 on: December 08, 2015, 10:00:46 PM
Note to self: Stock up on cigarettes and tobacco.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #73 on: December 08, 2015, 10:33:42 PM
I have about 5 or 6 days food in,
About three weeks worth of whisky and wine,
Three days worth of rolling tobacco,
4 years worth of nasal snuff,
Several generations worth of knife blades,
About 100 litres of water in the rain butt,
A couple of years worth of razor blades
Enough firewood to last about 4 hours
Clean clothes to last a week,
Enough paperbacks I haven't read yet to last a few months
About a months toilet paper
Batteries in my watches should see me through next year

I'd say my priorities are probably more balanced than most people I know   :whistle:  :P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:35:25 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #74 on: December 09, 2015, 04:23:21 AM
Lynn, I'm loving that "stove". I wonder what could be done to adapt that into a small oven.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: December 09, 2015, 08:17:32 AM
I just packed the truck for a 10 day trip. So probably 13 to 15 days, If I can replen water.

I better be able to anyway, otherwise I may have problems shortly  :whistle:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #76 on: December 10, 2015, 07:25:03 AM
I have about 5 or 6 days food in,
About three weeks worth of whisky and wine,
Three days worth of rolling tobacco,
4 years worth of nasal snuff,
Several generations worth of knife blades,
About 100 litres of water in the rain butt,
A couple of years worth of razor blades
Enough firewood to last about 4 hours
Clean clothes to last a week,
Enough paperbacks I haven't read yet to last a few months
About a months toilet paper
Batteries in my watches should see me through next year

I'd say my priorities are probably more balanced than most people I know   :whistle:  :P

Hey!

I resemble that remark.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: April 06, 2020, 09:29:27 PM
Since my last post I continued to prep.  Water is still an issue under my initial post criteria.  Thankfully we have water from city and power.  Food wise we are in a good situation but who would have known TP would be the issue?  We are good and have not needed any.  Most everything we prepped for we are still good on.  Perishables like cheese and luncheon meats, eggs, and such run low and are consumed first.  Fresh fruits and vegi also low.  We did buy lots of frozen and dried items. 

I am reviewing everything I did when I posted this and our current condition to better prepare. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
How long could you survive?
Reply #78 on: April 06, 2020, 10:19:08 PM
Since my last post I continued to prep.  Water is still an issue under my initial post criteria.  Thankfully we have water from city and power.  Food wise we are in a good situation but who would have known TP would be the issue?  We are good and have not needed any.  Most everything we prepped for we are still good on.  Perishables like cheese and luncheon meats, eggs, and such run low and are consumed first.  Fresh fruits and vegi also low.  We did buy lots of frozen and dried items. 

I am reviewing everything I did when I posted this and our current condition to better prepare.
Seems like a pretty good time to revive this thread huh?!

I reread your initial post though and it stated that you were already cut off from water and power or any services outside of your house in general?

Not a scenario I look forward to and given exactly where things are these days not too unimaginable really either?

It is not really much of a stretch to picture utilities running into staffing problems any time now and then how long before we could be plunged into the real deal even more than we already are and who ever thought realistically we could be where we are right now even?!

I have read that in the NE US there are power plant operators already living in trailers onsite from now on to hopefully keep that critical infrastructure running.

Aside from the whole notion of the Dead eating the Living the rest of that particular story is a lot easier to comprehend now than it was a few months ago it seems.

Anyway I live alone,mostly and the idea of readiness has been a hobby for a while and of course likely also how I found my way to this site really too and I like to think that I am OK for a decent time period in general but Water is always going to be the biggest obstacle for most of us.

If anything would force a move from my shelter here it will be the search for Water!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:24:25 PM by ezdog »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:22 PM
Necrooo! :D

Anyway, since the Covid outbreak I finally was able to persuade my other half into some preparations.
We now have enough food for 2-3 weeks.
4-5 if we ration it.
Water can be pumped from the ground since we're on a water table.
Perfectly clear and taste- /odorless.
That is if we have power.
If power fails, we have means of pumping manually.

So I feel way more at ease than before.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: April 06, 2020, 10:47:07 PM
Yes my initial scenario was no utilities.  This current scenario we are in just made me review this thread.  I felt pretty confident when I posted but after replies and my revisions I was more than happy where we landed.  Once the pandemic began we went to get a few perishables and top off a few other items.  We've not been back to the store since 13th of April  :think:  It was a Friday when people already had started to panic shop.  I am learning that my partners kid is not flexible food wise.  Certain items I prepped like oatmeal are not consumed by him.  He wants eggs and cereal with milk type items.  Tough luck as that went long ago. 

This has been an eye opener from a preparation stand point.  On week 2 I told him we were going to be slowing down all random eating.  No reason to eat out of boredom, 3 squares a day.  I've read some people are gaining weight  :dunno:. I guess all the sitting around  :dunno:.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: April 06, 2020, 11:50:58 PM
Yes my initial scenario was no utilities.  This current scenario we are in just made me review this thread.  I felt pretty confident when I posted but after replies and my revisions I was more than happy where we landed.  Once the pandemic began we went to get a few perishables and top off a few other items.  We've not been back to the store since 13th of April  :think:  It was a Friday when people already had started to panic shop.  I am learning that my partners kid is not flexible food wise.  Certain items I prepped like oatmeal are not consumed by him.  He wants eggs and cereal with milk type items.  Tough luck as that went long ago. 

This has been an eye opener from a preparation stand point.  On week 2 I told him we were going to be slowing down all random eating.  No reason to eat out of boredom, 3 squares a day.  I've read some people are gaining weight  :dunno:. I guess all the sitting around  :dunno:.   

Its pretty amazing how much different it all seems from just planning for it and actually living it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #82 on: April 07, 2020, 12:22:05 AM
We've not been back to the store since 13th of April  :think:     

What, 2019? ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: April 07, 2020, 12:23:06 AM
This is not a drill  :ahhh.  I see where I could have done better. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: April 07, 2020, 12:30:05 AM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #85 on: April 07, 2020, 12:39:54 AM
About 10yrs back we got knocked out at the end of October, so cold weather, unfortunately no heat but we had a little propane heater and we basically lived out of two rooms, we still had water just not warm, needless to say taking a shower wasn’t fun, but again cooking I had the outdoor grill and also the camping cookware so it was great, as far as food we didn’t have much and the fridge wasn’t the best, but what we did was take multiple shoebox size containers pack them full of snow since that’s what knocked us (the whole state) out and placed them in the fridge / freezer to keep the food good, we also had a small freezer outside but the sides of that had so much ice on it plus it was outside so we didn’t have to worry about it, so we lasted one week,
   Now here if we got knocked out it would all depend on what got knocked out? No gas we still have that little heater, and we’re all going to have to bunker down in one room to try to keep warm, as far as food were stocked, we normally only go every two weeks since we don’t drive but without electric or gas we would have to cook anything on the outdoor grill, but depending on what part of the year and how cold it is and how much propane id need to heat a room I think would play a part on how long we could make it, I’d say roughly 2weeks if no one could step outside the door besides to cook on the grill,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%