Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SAK guy here

us Offline SHOCKNAWE

New SAK guy here
on: November 30, 2014, 05:47:31 AM
I wanted to introduce myself after spending a lot of time reading the forums. I'm new to the collecting scene when it comes to SAK's I will have some questions but wanted to say hello before posting questions. I'm especially into the Alox series.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: New SAK guy here
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:36 AM
Welcome from the old SAK Guy! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:22:28 AM
Hi welcome aboard! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:23:16 AM
Greetings,

Alox huh? Right into the deep end for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:17 AM
Hi and welcome :2tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:33 AM
Welcome!  :cheers:
darren

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:43:42 AM
Welcome aboard!  :sailor:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:59 AM
Greetings.  :cheers:

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
Welcome Welcome
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:25 AM

Yeah that's what I thought too! Straight onto the hard stuff! :tu:
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 06:52:44 PM

Might as well skip everything else and go straight to Custom Alox then.

Welcome aboard. Hold onto your wallet, it's quite a trip ;).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:20 PM
SHOCKNAWE, Welcome to  :MTO:.

Please enjoy your stay, and you'd just come to the perfect place for alox collecting.  :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 07:04:20 PM
Welcome to MTO!   :cheers:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 07:54:01 PM
Welcome to :MTO:
Embrace your new addiction!! :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight: :SAKnight:
And to start your addiction properly: http://www.edcsource.com/FELINEVET-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-STORE,name,100015,user_id,shop
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:01:26 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline SHOCKNAWE

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 10:55:18 PM
Thank you all for the welcome! 

As I said the Alox appeal to me the most, The Farmerand Pioneer are very worthy of EDC and present very nice in the various colors especially the Orange that I am fortunate enough to own a pair of them.

I enjoy skimming through SAK/Wiki and gathering as much info on these beautiful pieces as I can.

Im hopeful to be lucky enough to find some well kept and hard to find models in my search.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 11:00:37 PM
The Alox will lead you into the Cellidor, which you'll probably also love. That will lead you into the nylon big 111mm. You are lost already. Trust me, jsut turn your checkbook over now.   :D

In all seriousness, welcome aboard.

Now... got get a Swisstool Spirit X. You will soon enough anyway.  :rofl:

us Offline SHOCKNAWE

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 11:11:05 PM
now for a few questions  :-\

Are the Vintage or Discontinued 93mm the most highly collected pieces? I am still confused as to the best way to identify the discontinued rarer types. I am assuming the white cross models are the older models, I plan on collecting what I like ofcourse but would like to buy a few hard to come by models, Ebay has been tough beause alot of auctions say "Rare" when Im not sure how "Rare" they are and dont want to overpay too much  :drool:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:38:25 AM by SHOCKNAWE »

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 01:43:55 AM
Welcome.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:02 AM

Are the Vintage or Discontinued 93mm the most highly collected pieces? I am still confused as to the best way to identify the discontinued rarer types. I am assuming the white cross models are the older models, I plan on collecting what I like ofcourse but would like to buy a few hard to come by models, Ebay has been tough beause alot of auctions say "Rare" when Im not sure how "Rare" they are and dont want to overpay too much  :drool:

Welcome. First rule of SAK collecting is that very few people really know what is "rare" as what isn't. eBay sellers especially have no idea. They add words to auction titles to get search hits. I've seen 2008 M61 Soldiers listed as rare (they're the most common year by a factor of 4). I see knives from the 1980s labeled as "Victoria", even though they aren't stamped "Victoria". No, there are probably only 20 or so people in the world that really know what is actually rare, and many of them are on this forum so don't be afraid to ask.

If you don't want to pay too much, then you might want to rethink alox collecting  :D. If you really want to get into this, then watch eBay for a while and get a sense of how much things sell for and how often they appear. You are trying to buy knives that are in limited supply and not in production., As such, they are available in a very serial fashion. Other than red alox Pioneers which are pretty common, other old alox model may only be available once a month or so. Usually prices will go insane on these when 2 or more noobs start collecting and start bidding wars over the slow stream of different models. When this happens and the noobs have money, prices go insane for a while until they collect all they want, lose interest, run out of money, or some combination of all three.

My advice would be to research selling prices in the for sale forums here. These tend to be less affected by the bidding war stuff that happens on eBay. Don't go too far back, though. You'll just depress yourself if you see prices from 5 years ago.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 07:27:01 AM
Welcome mate, these litlle place here is just awesome. and you, hum you have refined taste there  :tu:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:05 AM

Old Cross Alox's from the jump.  :facepalm:

I suggest you just get it over with and contact Syph007 right here on MTO. Save you a number of steps to just buy three or four of his customs. You have to wait till I order mine though.  :tu:

Welcome by the way.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 02:51:29 PM
Be sure to thoroughly acquaint yourself with this thread:

Alox forever!
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=53842.0
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SHOCKNAWE

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55:45 PM
Jazzbass, thank you for the detailed reply. What you typed makes alot of sense, I plan on taking my time and researching before jumping into anything and everything I see, I am loving these and they are addictive!

Thank you all again for the friendly welcome to your forum, I will be sure to do plenty of reading and research here, I will post some pics eventually once I settle in a bit more.

:cheers:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:20 PM
At least you found soulmates ... on the road to perdition :facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29:27 PM

Welcome. First rule of SAK collecting is that very few people really know what is "rare" as what isn't. eBay sellers especially have no idea. They add words to auction titles to get search hits. I've seen 2008 M61 Soldiers listed as rare (they're the most common year by a factor of 4). I see knives from the 1980s labeled as "Victoria", even though they aren't stamped "Victoria". No, there are probably only 20 or so people in the world that really know what is actually rare, and many of them are on this forum so don't be afraid to ask.

If you don't want to pay too much, then you might want to rethink alox collecting  :D. If you really want to get into this, then watch eBay for a while and get a sense of how much things sell for and how often they appear. You are trying to buy knives that are in limited supply and not in production., As such, they are available in a very serial fashion. Other than red alox Pioneers which are pretty common, other old alox model may only be available once a month or so. Usually prices will go insane on these when 2 or more noobs start collecting and start bidding wars over the slow stream of different models. When this happens and the noobs have money, prices go insane for a while until they collect all they want, lose interest, run out of money, or some combination of all three.

My advice would be to research selling prices in the for sale forums here. These tend to be less affected by the bidding war stuff that happens on eBay. Don't go too far back, though. You'll just depress yourself if you see prices from 5 years ago.

That really is a sound piece of advice for any staring collector, cheers to that.  :tu:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 11:57:42 PM
Welcome to the forums......once you have developed the alox pox it soon turns into a very expensive and checking account debilitating disease. With plenty of enablers to be found lurking here. Lol.

It sounds as though you know where to you'd like to start and you picked the right place.

Great bunch of guys on here willing to help, so questions and advice requests are encouraged. Many of us focus on one particular model or series, just alox, older models, whatever catches your eye. There is no wrong answer. You'll see some great collections members here have!

For myself, it's generally a modded red alox Electrician in one pocket, and a Vic Minichamp clipped to a single AAA light in the other. For my needs - a great combo. Even though I own many custom traditionals as well as many factories, and some of the high speed low drag pocket clipped knives costing much more, I always seem to find my way back to my alox.

So settle in and have fun. That's the main thing! And share your pics of your new pieces when they arrive. We luv 'em.

Joe

** Forgot to add to keep your eye on the FS forum as you can get some good buys from other members. But ya gotta be quick. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:00:36 AM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00