Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[IMPORTANT] how important is branding in the world of multitools ?

gio658 · 24 · 1684

Offline gio658

• New User
 :multi: Introduce myself : I'm Giovanni - 23 years old -  and I have been managing the family hardware store for 2-3 years now . A year ago I started with the online store selling only MULTITOOLS . this is why I am writing to you ALL. I want to open a topic on this :
WHY DO YOU CHOOSE A MULTITOOL INSTEAD OF ANY OTHER?
What is the best multitool in your opinion at the moment? (EXCLUDING BRAND ONLY FOR FUNCTIONALITY)

Let's Talk About IT !!  :climber:

Gio658

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I assume you are not trying to promote your online shop.

You need to explain what type of tasks do you have in mind for the perfect mutitool.

Is it for keychain carry? Is it for heavy duty work? Do you need pliers?

Generally something like a Swisstool/Wave/MP400 may be considered "best"
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Leatherman because they are the best   :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
To me branding is synonymous to a company's reputation simply put the reason I'll spend much more on a vic knife or leatherman or whatever is because the brand has a reputation for quality.
I would and do happily buy cheap brands if I think the quality is good enough for what I want it for.
This applies not just to Mt's for me but to pretty much everything
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
To me branding is synonymous to a company's reputation simply put the reason I'll spend much more on a vic knife or leatherman or whatever is because the brand has a reputation for quality.
I would and do happily buy cheap brands if I think the quality is good enough for what I want it for.
This applies not just to Mt's for me but to pretty much everything
Excepting of course life jackets, safety rails, safety harnesses and any other kind of boat based PPE.

How many years has it been and I'm still holding a grudge.

DOLLY!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Excepting of course life jackets, safety rails, safety harnesses and any other kind of boat based PPE.

How many years has it been and I'm still holding a grudge.

DOLLY!

I genuinely thought you'd let that go

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I genuinely thought you'd let that go
Then you don't know me at all Sir

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Then you don't know me at all Sir

What can I say 🤷?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Hey hang on a minute Dolly deliberately sabotaged the baot causing me no end of grief she then swam to the Atlantic and boarded your u boat where u rewarded her with another round the world trip while I was left with the trauma of having to deal with it all
All of my PPE meets proper safety standards !

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Don't hijack this thread as well  :pok:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Branding is great.  Look at how many people buy products because of a brand and you will see that it sells, even when it isn't a product that has anything to do with the item it is on.  For example, around Christmas you will see knives and tools branded with anything- Coke, John Deere, NASCAR, whatever.

Of course, when it comes to multitool brands, for the most part, most manufacturers are only as good as their last tool.  For example, Leatherman's brand has been slipping somewhat in the eyes of many when they started making bracelets, then followed that up with the crappy Free series.  Fortunately, the Leatherman brand is strong enough that people still buy them, but I'm sure they drop a few points with each silly release.

Brands like Victorinox on the other hand have limited themselves by being an elite level manufacturer.  It takes them forever to introduce a new product, and as a result, very few fail... even if they are extremely late to market. 

Every company struggles to maintain a balance between introducing new items to keep customers coming back and not producing... well.... bracelets.  It's a tough road to walk, but this forum has been around for 15 years now, analyzing these offerings and the trends, so I doubt you will find anywhere better to help you with it!

My best advice is, be careful of #2.  Whatever brand is in second place will be seen by many as the worst thing ever.  The best example of that is Gerber, although it used to also apply to Wenger, back when they existed. 

Second place is the first loser and is the absolute worst place a manufacturer can be, because they are never taken on their own merit, they are just seen as "not as good as Leatherman."

Anything below second place is seen as an underdog, underrated or the choice of enthusiasts that aren't influenced by hype.  Or similar type nonsense.

Of course, that mentality isn't restricted to the multitool industry, so that isn't new to anyone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
:multi: Introduce myself : I'm Giovanni - 23 years old -  and I have been managing the family hardware store for 2-3 years now . A year ago I started with the online store selling only MULTITOOLS . this is why I am writing to you ALL. I want to open a topic on this :
WHY DO YOU CHOOSE A MULTITOOL INSTEAD OF ANY OTHER?
What is the best multitool in your opinion at the moment? (EXCLUDING BRAND ONLY FOR FUNCTIONALITY)

For me, there are four important considerations.  From most critical to least, they are:
  • Quality - I really don't want to compromise on this.  A tool that breaks under normal use or doesn't perform as it should is inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst.
  • Features/functions - How useful will the tool's functions be to me?  Is it missing any implements I think are important?  Does it have a lot of implements I think I'll never use?
  • Size/weight - There are obviously some trade-offs to be made here, but I'm only willing to carry so much tool weight.  I also don't want to carry around a huge tool with many functions I don't ever need.  If it is to keep in a vehicle, then this is less important.
  • Price - I'm willing to pay more to get more (or better), but I try to avoid paying more just to pay more.

For functionality and features, there is no one best multi-tool.  Best for each individual depends on what they do for work, what they do for fun, where their personal balance is between capability and weight, etc.  For quality, my opinion is that the best at the moment is Victorinox's SwissTools, with an honorable mention to Leatherman's top line tools (e.g. Wave, Charge, Surge).

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Branding is beautiful. It allows me to take pride in what I carry, and connect on a personal level with a tool.

I did not have to think twice about buying a Farmer X. I already knew what I would be getting. And it is indeed as good as I expected it to be, and it brings me joy to carry it.

I knew what I would get when I got a Gerber MP400 and Mr Pinchy. I love my Mr Pinchy. How about a challenge? :pok:

Roxon entered the multi-tool game with a bang, and they upped the ante with the most recent releases. I am very fond of Roxon, and will probably check out any new interesting designs. They have earned my respect with their innovation and build quality.
I will admit being biased towards some brands. SOG comes to mind. No SOG has managed to connect with me. there's always something in the design or execution that leaves me unimpressed. But I am keeping an open mind.

Ruike is another brand I respect. solid knives and tools.

Of course, there is the ugly side of multi-tool branding. Tools so generic you can find them under a dozen different brands. I have decided to stay away from these, after my Splitman/Skagele/Aietol/Poeland/Lipoud broke two hours after I opened the package. :rant:

The funny thing is that even good companies put their names on crap, like Dewalt, Caterpillar, Coast, Kobalt. I do not like these. It hurts the respect I have for those companies. I will not carry this kind of tool. I'd rather carry a Roxon, Ganzo, or my Ruike, if not a Vic, Leatherman, or Gerber.

I would not call myself a brand loyalist.  :think: I do not like certain Leatherman designs, so I have not bought them, and I do not intend to, unless I get a crazy deal. I will, however, check out new Roxon stuff, just because of the brand, and I will continue to buy proven designs by LM, Gerber, and Vic, because I know what I'm about.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
I buy multitools to distract myself from the reality that I will never stand on the moon or play leapfrog with Caroline Catz.  Having purchased just about every MT from every maker - at least every one that I want - I haven't purchased an MT in a long time.

Be careful what you wish for.  Once you reach the finish line, there is really no place left to go.

As for the "best" design and manufacturing, its gotta be Victorinox.  That's not even close.

Tip of the iceberg.

us Offline cody6268

Matters a lot. I think for some companies, their IP and licensed use of it is worth more than them to the products and services they normally do business in.

We've seen Victorinox, SOG, Maglite, and now Leatherman leverage their branding to sell clothing, fragrances, luggage, watches, and other items.   Automotive brands, like Lamborghini and Ferarri, are very well known for their branded merchandise. . Heavy equipment manufacturers--like Deere, Case, JCB, and CAT do this as well; for clothes, tools, drinkware, diecast models, and even cellphones.   So yes, it matters.   But, often, they will license names to companies who put out POS.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:54:06 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Answering the OP question, VERY.  Some companies have used their branding in ways that have extended their brand beyond what they earned their reputation in the first place.  Victorinox has certainly done this and IMO done it well.  Others unfortunately have used their brand on lesser quality MTs which IMO lessens the brand.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Branding is great.  Look at how many people buy products because of a brand and you will see that it sells, even when it isn't a product that has anything to do with the item it is on.  For example, around Christmas you will see knives and tools branded with anything- Coke, John Deere, NASCAR, whatever.

Of course, when it comes to multitool brands, for the most part, most manufacturers are only as good as their last tool.  For example, Leatherman's brand has been slipping somewhat in the eyes of many when they started making bracelets, then followed that up with the crappy Free series.  Fortunately, the Leatherman brand is strong enough that people still buy them, but I'm sure they drop a few points with each silly release.

Brands like Victorinox on the other hand have limited themselves by being an elite level manufacturer.  It takes them forever to introduce a new product, and as a result, very few fail... even if they are extremely late to market. 

Every company struggles to maintain a balance between introducing new items to keep customers coming back and not producing... well.... bracelets.  It's a tough road to walk, but this forum has been around for 15 years now, analyzing these offerings and the trends, so I doubt you will find anywhere better to help you with it!

My best advice is, be careful of #2.  Whatever brand is in second place will be seen by many as the worst thing ever.  The best example of that is Gerber, although it used to also apply to Wenger, back when they existed. 

Second place is the first loser and is the absolute worst place a manufacturer can be, because they are never taken on their own merit, they are just seen as "not as good as Leatherman."

Anything below second place is seen as an underdog, underrated or the choice of enthusiasts that aren't influenced by hype.  Or similar type nonsense.

Of course, that mentality isn't restricted to the multitool industry, so that isn't new to anyone.

Def

I sort of agree with you with regards to a #2 brand.

But personally, I will take a Honda over a Toyota any day of the week, and pay less doing it, for what I feel is the same quality.

Ask a person who is best in thier type of business and they usually want to promote themselves and say that they are.

Ask them who is second best. Then ask 10 others who is second best. You likely get the same answer most of the time, and that one often turns out to be the actual best.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
OP, branding isn't everything, every cutlery or tool company has its ups and downs, and sometimes even the best 'brands' may slip.

But to some extent, a reputable brand with a history of good consistent quality and service does win customers' confidence and money.

What choosing one multitool over the other?
For me, it's functionality, fit and finish, quality of tools, pricing and weight.

What is the 'best' multitool in my opinion?
That's hard to say, I'd say Victorinox Spirit MXBS or Spirit.  I am personally biased towards Victorinox, for the brand generally has excellent fit and finish, largest variety of tools, best consistency/QC in industry and lifetime warranty.  It's really, really rare to find a company that could produce at such a high volume while maintaining at high standard for more than a hundred years.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Interesting question..
Whilst brand names  can be associated with quality, it can also be misleading. We have seen the reality of what branding does when the company decides to lower production costs by outsourcing manufacture or utilising cheaper materials...the result is that the branding no longer carries the virtues that built the brand up.
Hence I’m more impressed if the manufacturer has listened to the needs and wants of the potential customers. I would be happy to pay good money for a multitool  from a unknown brand if I thought it would deliver all it promised. If a tool came to the market that looked promising I would definitely be interested. Most of us on here are savvy enough to spot the cheap junk. Quality materials, well thought out tool layout and superb workmanship go a long way convincing potential buyers, garish colours, silly tools and poor workmanship do the exact opposite.
Has to be said, a lot of so called multi tools offered today are nothing but gadgets. We desperately need proper toolmakers to take multi tools more seriously and develop proper pocket tools that have multiple uses, as opposed to what is offered currently.
The concept of a “ multitool” is brilliant but the combined efforts of the current market leaders still falls well short of what could be  achieved.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
For me branding is useful to the extent the managed brand expectations are consistent with their actual products. Is the brand marketing consistent with the level of the products? And is the product level itself consistent from product to product? If so then the brand holds some merit to me. On the other hand, if the promises tend to fail short or the products vary too much in quality I can't really trust the brand as such. Which makes the brand less meaningful or valuable to me. 

Thus a brand that claims it makes good day to day average products, and does so, is a more reliable brand to me than a brand that claims great products but make both great products and proper duds.

Then there is all the marketing stuff playing on people being prepared for the unexpected, having tough tools and all that. I have no doubt it works or they wouldn't spend so much on it.

Retail wise and in the fight for shelf space recognized brands is a big deal. Same goes for the gift market I imagine - those not really into multitools, but who look for a nice gift, might sensibly aim for the well known quality brands.

As for best multitool that depends a lot on your intended use. I don't think there is a single answer to that.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline David

Leatherman because they are the best   :D

Agreed!    :tu:

No need to over complicate the issue.     :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
For me branding is useful to the extent the managed brand expectations are consistent with their actual products. Is the brand marketing consistent with the level of the products? And is the product level itself consistent from product to product? If so then the brand holds some merit to me. On the other hand, if the promises tend to fail short or the products vary too much in quality I can't really trust the brand as such. Which makes the brand less meaningful or valuable to me. 

Thus a brand that claims it makes good day to day average products, and does so, is a more reliable brand to me than a brand that claims great products but make both great products and proper duds.

Then there is all the marketing stuff playing on people being prepared for the unexpected, having tough tools and all that. I have no doubt it works or they wouldn't spend so much on it.

Retail wise and in the fight for shelf space recognized brands is a big deal. Same goes for the gift market I imagine - those not really into multitools, but who look for a nice gift, might sensibly aim for the well known quality brands.

As for best multitool that depends a lot on your intended use. I don't think there is a single answer to that.
I couldn't have put it better  :iagree: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline stugumby

I might be "paying for a name" but that's because of my perception of their quality, ease of use and ease of warranty access. Longevity of a name brand means they are successful at what they do and how they further their business model by sustaining quality while exploring sensible new products. Victorinox leads the way in sustainable quality. When you buy a box box store tool your getting a supposed value for your money, when the $30 multi snaps a plier head or blade you just go back and exchange it in store. Cheap and disposable vs a long life span. Leatherman has went off the proven path with half juices and leaps etc. new path is the free series,while retaining the proven waves and super tools. Gerber always renaming and providing mid level bang for the buck. Multi tool prices have went up and up but the big box no name tools don't last or do an equal or better job. You literally get what your willing to pay for.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Branding is beautiful. It allows me to take pride in what I carry, and connect on a personal level with a tool.

I did not have to think twice about buying a Farmer X. I already knew what I would be getting. And it is indeed as good as I expected it to be, and it brings me joy to carry it.
(Image removed from quote.)

I knew what I would get when I got a Gerber MP400 and Mr Pinchy. I love my Mr Pinchy. How about a challenge? :pok:

Roxon entered the multi-tool game with a bang, and they upped the ante with the most recent releases. I am very fond of Roxon, and will probably check out any new interesting designs. They have earned my respect with their innovation and build quality.
I will admit being biased towards some brands. SOG comes to mind. No SOG has managed to connect with me. there's always something in the design or execution that leaves me unimpressed. But I am keeping an open mind.

Ruike is another brand I respect. solid knives and tools.

Of course, there is the ugly side of multi-tool branding. Tools so generic you can find them under a dozen different brands. I have decided to stay away from these, after my Splitman/Skagele/Aietol/Poeland/Lipoud broke two hours after I opened the package. :rant:

The funny thing is that even good companies put their names on crap, like Dewalt, Caterpillar, Coast, Kobalt. I do not like these. It hurts the respect I have for those companies. I will not carry this kind of tool. I'd rather carry a Roxon, Ganzo, or my Ruike, if not a Vic, Leatherman, or Gerber.

I would not call myself a brand loyalist.  :think: I do not like certain Leatherman designs, so I have not bought them, and I do not intend to, unless I get a crazy deal. I will, however, check out new Roxon stuff, just because of the brand, and I will continue to buy proven designs by LM, Gerber, and Vic, because I know what I'm about.

Are the bigger Roxon tools really good? I have the one in the bottom left of your pic there, with just the knife and scissors. I like it, aside from not being a fan of the tanto blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%