Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Police Security Field Tact.

Chako · 11 · 2815

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Police Security Field Tact.
on: December 18, 2014, 04:57:03 AM
It happened, and because of its size, I have to compare it to the S.K. Engage...meet the Police Security Field Tact. This monstrosity has somehow beaten the S.K. Engage as something Les Stroud...er I mean...Less Proud.

The Field Tact is on the left, the Engage is on the right.

Now I am not a big fan of open framework style multi-tools. I feel that something should be safe when folded away, and due to the design of such tools, they are anything but safe when stowed away. The Field Tact follows my common prejudices towards such designs. More on that later.

Note the frame isn't even straight, although because of the way it is built, it didn't have any impact on the functionality of the tool. It just looks gawd awful. Note also that it is a big fat ugly multi-tool. Here it is next to the Engage, which is wider simply due to the added plastic and rubber. Even so, the Field Tact is very much there, making this one ungainly beast to hold.

Somehow, the designers of the Field Tact managed to make the handles shaped in such a way that I just couldn't get a comfortable purchase. At least the Engage didn't fight you like the Field Tact does. Both are spring loaded pliers as well. The Field Tact goes the cheap naked spring method...nothing wrong with this, but it does look cheaper overall.

It blows my mind that so much space is wasted. This was a big issue with me and the Engage. The Field Tact is just as bad. For all that width, you only get 4 tools per handle. Worse yet, there is so much space between the tools that spacers are needed. Worst yet, there is a big fat piece of metal that appears to do nothing as far as I can tell, sitting in the middle of the folded tools. This is bloat at a whole new level.

Here is a closer look at the spring mechanism and pliers.

Here is where we get to see all that wasted space. No issues of clumping, In fact, I would say the designer of this monstrosity must have hated clumping with a passion bordering on insanity. There is so much room between the tools, and add to that, the thicker central metal piece that just sits there, makes me sort of angry whenever I look at it. The Engage is such a tool, and so is this one. I just don't get it. With this space, you could have included a folding spork, an ear cleaner, and a whole lot more. On the positive side, as there are no locking levers, the tool should be legal most places. There is a positive somewhat locking feature that does a good job of holding the tool in the open position, but I fear it is due to friction alone, and will loosen with use and time.

Now back to the safety issue with this tool. There are two blades included. One a PE, and the other a serrated. Now the open frame has these cut outs on the sides large enough for me to put my largish fingers in there. This makes the folded blade easily accessible and thus dangerous to folks who aren't paying attention. In fact, seeing as there is no included sheath with this ugly tool, most folks might pocket carry this brick. I just can't abide a dangerously designed tool. No need for this in this day and age.

The only bright side of this tool, it also came with a nice little flashlight that pumps out 23 lumens. It runs on a single AA for 5 hours and shines a beam 15 m distant.

The front is beveled as to make it a nice little tactical flashlight.

A single function rubber button dominates the rear end of the flashlight. I like this little guy, as it appears to be well made, unlike the multi-tool it came with.

So there you have it. As bad as the S.K. Engage is, I think this Police Security Field Tact beats it.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Police Security Field Tact.
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:50 AM
 :rofl:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:59 AM
It...

Uhh....

Hmmm....  :think:

Well, it.... no...

At least it doesn't have a celebrity name attached to it.  :D

Yeah... that bared blade thing is bad. But I believe I can see the same design team's hand in making this as made the Engage.

While it looks like it shares the Engage feature of a full pin holding the plier backstop to the frame, the frame itself looks anemic and likely to snap under heavy load.

How much money did you squander... err, I mean spend on this thing?

And, like you said, at least the flashlight is good. So...  :tu:  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:15:35 AM

what are you talking about?

This is endorsed by this survivalist celebrity. The name  "police" hints at that.   :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:13 AM
 :rofl:

Lynn you need to find yourself one of these and torture stress test it.  :tu:  ;)

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:09 PM
Strange how I feel somehow compelled to read the review, yet disgusted with myself at the same time :-\

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:41:48 PM

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:41 PM
Wow, that thing is warped!  :o

Can we have a stress test video with the bending in slow-mo?  :D

No, better not hurt yourself.  :whistle:

thank you for the review, and I hope the flashlight was worth the price!  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:36:09 PM
It really isn't...the kit sold for 26 dollars.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:02 PM
Even with the slight difference in the exchange rate... you overpaid.  :rofl:

Hey... here's an idea, YOU could do a test-to-destruction. Trust me, the joy of it is almost worth the expense.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:29 PM
Naw...I would have to buy another to keep one in the collection. Yeah, I am doomed.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44