Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plier head tightness and paper cut

se Offline Mextreme

Plier head tightness and paper cut
on: October 01, 2015, 10:16:20 PM
Most Leatherman plier tools are so tight that you can easily cut paper with the wire cutters, at least initially.
Some lose this ability fast after only a few cuts with softer material like stranded copper wire that gets folded between the cutters and not cut.
The pliers don´t get relly loose or develop any play. They are simply not rubbing eachother when closing which is necessary for a paper cut. You can feel there is no longer resistance between the cutters surfaces when closing. Is there any easy way to resolve this? It is probably just "cosmetic" and no real problem but I love that crisp feel when they are new.
Do you have to resort to peening the pivot?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn´t find anything.

gb Offline pingu

Re: Plier head tightness and paper cut
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:28:37 PM
There are couple of things to mitigate this from new.  Lightly dress off any casting ridges.  You might need to use a magnifying glass or camera zoom to see the ridges.  Then dress the sheer edges to be orthoginal with a clean edge.  My Fuse went from not great to good by doing this and still cuts stranded copper satisfactorily.

A better option is to go Rebar  :whistle:.   The cutter mounting faces can always be carefully ground to achieve a touching pass but probably not needed from new.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:31:30 PM by pingu »

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
My juice does not cut stranded wire after 2 weeks of use.
I think it does not cut wire because the pliers are cast iron instead of machined like professional wire cutters are.
That is the reason why i always cut stranded wire with my scissors. although this does makes them dull very fast.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:07:27 PM
Peened the pivot and now it´s much tighter. Left quite an ugly crater in the pivot but it´s a user anyway.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%