Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishbone- what is it?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Fishbone- what is it?
Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:49 AM
We don't have a big enough budget to do a Gopro giveaway.  :P

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 01:39:38 AM
We don't have a big enough budget to do a Gopro giveaway.  :P

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Sure we do. :pok:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/bedford/go-pro/1039821024?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You don't have to mention in the GAW that it doesn't work.  :pok: :pok:   :rofl:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 02:22:21 AM
I airways hook a securing line to the camera so that if it does get loose, especially somewhere it will be unrecoverable, I still have it.

It bothers me that they didn't include a cord mount on the camera housing so I bought machined aluminum lense rings with mounting points on them since I use them on lakes and in the ocean mostly.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery
Same here. I use a 3ft leash made out of weed Wacker line that is blaze yellow.

Works great and doesn't flap in the wind. It also lasts longer Than fishing line and doesn't hold water like paracord would.

Have you ever had issues with moisture in the housing when you use a waterproof back? Which model do you have?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 02:36:44 AM
I have two Hero2's and a Contour GPS.  For ease of use and features I think the Contour is a better choice than the GoPro, but Contour has largely disappeared off the face of the Earth so for the most part these days it's GoPro or go away.

I also like the Contour better because it has an aluminum housing and can be used without a case- and when you do use the waterproof case, it floats, unlike the GoPros which sink.

I only ever use the waterproof backs.  Even with the skeleton backs the sound is muffled.  I might end up getting one of those cutaway cases with the hole in the side for an external mic.

Yes, I have had problems with the case fogging up, but I find if you put one of the silica gel packs that comes with electronics you can minimize that.  I have also heard that putting the cam and case in the freezer for 20 minutes before setting out will get rid of the humidity issue as well.  I keep thinking about buying the anti fog inserts, but I'm pretty sure they are just silica gel packs and I'm too cheap to pay for them when I have hundreds of them from all of the other things I have bought.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:23 AM
I have two Hero2's and a Contour GPS.  For ease of use and features I think the Contour is a better choice than the GoPro, but Contour has largely disappeared off the face of the Earth so for the most part these days it's GoPro or go away.

I also like the Contour better because it has an aluminum housing and can be used without a case- and when you do use the waterproof case, it floats, unlike the GoPros which sink.

I only ever use the waterproof backs.  Even with the skeleton backs the sound is muffled.  I might end up getting one of those cutaway cases with the hole in the side for an external mic.

Yes, I have had problems with the case fogging up, but I find if you put one of the silica gel packs that comes with electronics you can minimize that.  I have also heard that putting the cam and case in the freezer for 20 minutes before setting out will get rid of the humidity issue as well.  I keep thinking about buying the anti fog inserts, but I'm pretty sure they are just silica gel packs and I'm too cheap to pay for them when I have hundreds of them from all of the other things I have bought.

Def
The anti fog inserts are actually cloth. It's like white felt but stiffer.

I use a Gopro 3 Silver but I've got the 3+ case for it. The buttons are so much nicer and the case is a whole lot slimmer.

I really really want a quad copter for flight videos while we are on the boat but they are just too expensive.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 03:04:44 AM
I picked up a nice, cheap quad with a built in camera called the Syma X5c.  It says it's an HD camera on it, but I have my doubts on that.  Still, it comes out nice enough, and at $50 for the whole unit it's a lot more expendable than a $500 DJI Phantom with a $200 GoPro hanging from it.

Oh yes, and I just ordered the open side GoPro case.  I have been going back and forth for a while, and this thread put me over the top on it.

Def

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 05:45:57 AM
Also, they make lanyard attachments of you replace the lense bezel.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:50 AM
Yes, that's what I did.  There's a thread about it here somewhere.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 11:56:22 AM
Here it is:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46478.0.html

I suppose since I just got new housings I'll want to get more bezels to go with them.  It never ends, does it?  :P

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 12:04:03 PM
Also, they make lanyard attachments of you replace the lense bezel. (Image removed from quote.)

Guess what this just brought to mind...

Show content
Come on, guess!
Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
I actually hadn't seen that video before.  That is a pretty heavy duty slingshot.

I bet Megan would pummel the crap out of a watermelon with that monster!

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 01:21:12 PM
I actually hadn't seen that video before.  That is a pretty heavy duty slingshot.

Def

FTFY.

You know what happens when you whisper "Megan" in the kitchen?

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 01:22:57 PM

Def

FTFY.

You know what happens when you whisper "Megan" in the kitchen?

Show content

:rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:57 PM
I have the original Go Pro, and even bought the LCD back panel because I couldn't stand not seeing what I was aiming at until after the fact.

I have never had any issues hand tightening the plastic clamp. It hasn't failed me on any of my motorcycle trips attached to the engine guard yet.

Neat tool though. I still think it is cool that you can use it as a tie down aid.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 03:51:41 PM
I have the original Go Pro, and even bought the LCD back panel because I couldn't stand not seeing what I was aiming at until after the fact.

I have never had any issues hand tightening the plastic clamp. It hasn't failed me on any of my motorcycle trips attached to the engine guard yet.

Neat tool though. I still think it is cool that you can use it as a tie down aid.  :D
I'm not sure how often you use your gopro but I would strongly recommend upgrading to a hero3 or newer.

I've tinkered around with the original hero and it astounds me every time I pick it up. The advancements GoPro has made is incredible.

Also; the 3 or newer gopro (hero 3, hero 3+, and hero 4) all connect to your phone via a wifi connection. So instead of using an lcd "bacpac" you can see live feed on your phone as well as control your gopro. (Setup settings, view the current photos and videos, see battery statistics, etc...)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: December 27, 2014, 07:30:21 PM
I get the same functionality with the wifi backpack on my Hero2's. The Contour does that without add ons but with Bluetooth so there's less range.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #46 on: December 27, 2014, 08:23:45 PM
I don't see any need to upgrade the old cam yet. It does everything and more that I need it to. No doubt the newer ones are better.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 27, 2014, 11:21:14 PM
I get the same functionality with the wifi backpack on my Hero2's. The Contour does that without add ons but with Bluetooth so there's less range.

Def

Yeah but with built in wifi I can use the battery bacpac. I kinda wish they could make "stackable" bacpacs.

My battery life doesn't last too long even with the bacpac. I can generally run a 4 hour time laps with a photo every 5 or 10 seconds.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:45 PM
Yeah that's about the timing I'm getting.  Usually between 4 and 5 hours.

I agree, one option at a time is a pain in the butt.

I got another battery backpack today for my Hero 2 and it came with a full case for a Hero 3 if you need a spare.

Getting back to the original post, I also got the Gopro Tool.  As a wrench it seems to work well enough bit is also quite shallow so it slips off as well.  I'm test the bottle opener ability shortly.

Def

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:49 AM
Mail! Got it on Saturday! Thanks Boss! Now to get a GoPro.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:46 PM
Glad it got there safe and sound!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%