Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Couple of new pens

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Couple of new pens
on: January 29, 2015, 03:01:16 AM
For over a decade I've been content to use pilot g2 gel pens. I didn't edc them, just used them at work and left them in the car.

A couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine gifted me a bigidesign titanium pen. This is my first "real" pen, and the first one that made me want to truly carry it everyday.

The problem is that this opened up my eyes to the world of nice pens. First thing I did was get a uniball signo refill for the ti pen. I've always thought they wrote better than the g2, and they actually use tamper proof, archival quality ink. I just never found a body I liked.

Then I started looking at more pocketable pens. Unfortunately the ti pen is pretty long, especially with the cap posted. I really didn't see anything that i really loved, and most machined pens are pretty spendy. Then I came across the fisher bullet pen. Definitely a great edc size, and is basically a full length pen (though thin) with the cap posted. It definitely doesn't have the solid feel of the ti pen, but it was also under $20.

Now I'm torn. I definitely prefer the ink and solid feel of the ti, but love the pocketabiliy of the space pen. I guess time will tell which wins!

I really wish there was a titanium version of the bullet, maybe with thicker walls. I haven't really found anything out there, though.

I've attahed a couple pics comparing them to my other edc items, a Vic pioneer and fenix ld01.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 181.1 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 187.99 KB)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:02:51 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Re: Couple of new pens
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:04:43 AM

For over a decade I've been content to use pilot g2 gel pens. I didn't edc them, just used them at work and left them in the car.

A couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine gifted me a bigidesign titanium pen. This is my first "real" pen, and the first one that made me want to truly carry it everyday.

The problem is that this opened up my eyes to the world of nice pens. First thing I did was get a uniball signo refill for the ti pen. I've always thought they wrote better than the g2, and they actually use tamper proof, archival quality ink. I just never found a body I liked.

Then I started looking at more pocketable pens. Unfortunately the ti pen is pretty long, especially with the cap posted. I really didn't see anything that i really loved, and most machined pens are pretty spendy. Then I came across the fisher bullet pen. Definitely a great edc size, and is basically a full length pen (though thin) with the cap posted. It definitely doesn't have the solid feel of the ti pen, but it was also under $20.

Now I'm torn. I definitely prefer the ink and solid feel of the ti, but love the pocketabiliy of the space pen. I guess time will tell which wins!

I really wish there was a titanium version of the bullet, maybe with thicker walls. I haven't really found anything out there, though.

I've attahed a couple pics comparing them to my other edc items, a Vic pioneer and fenix ld01.
is this what you're looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HLD81U/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-4798667-8323963

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:10:06 AM

is this what you're looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HLD81U/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-4798667-8323963

I saw that one. Unfortunately it's titanium nitride plated brass. I'd prefer 100% titanium.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:59:34 AM
Hinderer make some bombproof, yet compact pens mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:30 PM

Hinderer pens may be bombproof, but they may make your budget blow up!
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:19 PM
Yeah cheap they ain't! :D

But if your looking for a titanium pen, then your looking big money anyway sadly.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:00 PM
My Ti bullet pen broke. The thin brass split on the part that holds the cartridge. Fisher offered to repair/replace it but unfortunately, this is not the first time this has happened on a bullet pen :(

EDIT: and furthermore, I don't believe it's worth $30 or even half that.
SAW

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:33 AM

The investigator is a nice smaller size. Not sure I'm crAzy about all the grooves and such. A bit too tacticool. Though, it does look better when people add o rings to it, IMO. Definitely a bit spendy for a pen, but the stainless isn't too crazy price wise.

I do like the value for money of the bullet. It's a bit like a SAK in that regard.

us Offline CarlRJ

• New User
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:45:10 PM
The Hinderer Investigators are very nice pens, they're what I always wanted from the Fisher Space Pen (I've had a few of the latter fall apart, while the Investigators are machined from solid stock and are quite indestructible - even the aluminum ones - and are basically the same size as a Space Pen). Yes, o-rings can make them a bit more civilized in both appearance and feel, and if you poke around you can find suitable o-rings in the color of your choice, you don't have to go with basic black. The Ti ones are _quite_ spendy, at around $200, but all the others - aluminum, steel, brass, copper - are in the $60-$80 range. They vary quite a bit in weight. I started with a steel one, but now carry an aluminum one because it's so light it kind of disappears in my pocket (what I want for an always-with-me pen). You can also poke around on Hinderer's dealers' sites and find the replacement "flat end attachment", to replace the pointy non-writing end, which makes the pen less tactical looking and more pocket friendly. And if you go with brass or copper and let it get a patina, it'll look more steampunk and less tactical, with or without o-rings.

Anyway, I was tired of the Space Pens falling apart - the stainless Investigator, on the other hand, I'm fairly certain you could hammer into a tree and stand on with no ill effects to the pen. Quite bombproof indeed. It's the smallest it can be and still take a Space Pen refill, yet large enough to write with, and if you install the one included o-ring behind the threads on the writing end, the cap seals on quite nicely (no chance of lost cap or leaked ink in pockets, and there are small gaps behind the threads on both ends to facilitate this use of o-rings). Pro tip: since removing the o-rings often requires cutting them off, don't hurry to put on the included one - take it to the hardware store as a guide to get some spares first.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:51:41 PM by CarlRJ »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD