Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you looking forward to in the new year?

us Offline metasyntax

What are you looking forward to in the new year?
on: January 01, 2015, 12:03:49 AM
With a shiny brand new year just starting, I'm making a resolution to save a little more money than last year. Roofs and cars are just too darn expensive! But there's still a few things I know I'm going to have to put some money aside for in the new year. The Leatherman Signal for one, assuming it's not a one piece tool for opening lighthouse lens housings. The Mora Pro series; yes, all of them. :-) And the Becker BK-21 aka the Reinhardt Kukri. What about you guys, anything in particular you're looking forward to / saving up for in the new year?

Sent from my mobile device.

May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: What are you looking forward to in the new year?
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 01:52:56 AM
A Wave and at least one of the Plierenches on my want list. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:36:22 AM
I have a few fixed blades on my list, and I also want to have custom skids made for my Jeep.   Most of my plans do revolve around the Jeep, as it's something that I really enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:37:15 AM
Oh, and for non-material, I'm looking forward to watching my kids grow, and spending time with them. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:12:37 AM
Well it's my birthday today (January 1st)

On the MT/SAK front there's basically bugger all out there.

Would love to try and complete my juice line and get the Original Juice SX :dd:
Bladeless MP600
LMs new MT

Other than that I'm absolutely determined to sort my finances out - 3yrs here has pretty much depleted my savings  :D......got some nice MTs tho'  :whistle:

Oh' and will make a very conscious effort to spend more time with my young son, would also like to visit more sites for my new URBEXing hobby :D

But apart from those, I'm pretty much content these days, phew!! :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline leg0man

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:48:56 AM
I got a new roof put on the house last winter, and the new car just got delivered so those are out of the way...  :D

Really though, the new car comes with car payments, which I have been without for about 5 years, so I'll have to take it easy for a little while until I make sure I've got the budgeting straight. Winter's already a tough time in general for a construction worker, so with the new car payments, work sometimes up in the air, and a family depending on me I'll be just fine with the tools I've got - but of course, I'll carry on with the research so I'm ready to buy when the money's flowing again!

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:11:47 AM
My third child showing up in the next two weeks, going to trade school for my first year.  For tools I'm looking at getting a couple of 18 inch pipe wrench and hopefully getting my Hackzall back from warranty repair.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

ca Offline leg0man

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:03:56 AM
Best of luck to you ba-ta! Going through trade school with a young family can be tough, I just finished mine in 2012 (and started my basic level of school when my daugther was 4 months old) but it's definitely worth it!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:20 PM
I have a lot of plans that I hope to make a move on this year, but a new roof for my house is a priority.  The good news is that it will only cost about $6k and the better news is that the insurance is going to cover all but about $200 of it, so that's good.  :D

Tool wise, I have a few still on my list from previous years- I still don't have a Gerber Balance and I keep forgetting to get one.  I also need a user Skeletool, a user Freestyle, some of the fancy new Juice models and a few others.

I think more than new toys I am looking forward to the same challenge I haven't managed to do yet, but have been intending to do for years, and that's paddle the entire length of the Shubie Canal.  I've done almost all of it in bits and pieces, but I really want to set aside three days and paddle the whole thing, which is about 60 miles long.

Maybe this year will be the year I finally manage to do it...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 02:09:59 PM
Tool wise ... nothing really, though I have been tempted to pick up one of the Vic Delemont 14s of some description. Possibly another headlamp too as I've knackered my Silva Ninox. Aside from that I'm looking forward to my first proper holiday in 15 years (two week Mediterranean cruise), and possibly looking for a new pastime to replace the boat/boatyard .... something cheaper  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline getahl

Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:35 PM
After a tumultuous 2014, I'm hoping for a better 2015.  I'm looking forward to a buddy's wedding in Austin in March (Pi Day,  to be precise!), and a four day trip to Yosemite in August, with my family, my sister in law's family, and my parents in law. I'm hoping we'll be able to do the Half Dome hike.

Since I'm posting this from Children's Hospital LA, I'm looking forward to getting out of here on Wednesday and getting my family back together for the first time in two weeks. At 1.5 months old, my daughter had liver surgery on Thanksgiving, and had been back a couple times for complications. Really, really looking forward to getting out of here.

On the tool front, there isn't a thing out there that I have to have, except maybe trying a one layered 74mm. I'm curious to see how an Ambassador our Prince carries in comparison to the Executive.

As usual, looking forward to what, if anything, Vic and Leatherman will preview at SHOT in a couple weeks. Anyone going this year?

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 05:07:10 AM
Best of luck to you ba-ta! Going through trade school with a young family can be tough, I just finished mine in 2012 (and started my basic level of school when my daugther was 4 months old) but it's definitely worth it!

Thanks leg0man, I know it won't be easy but it will be worth it in the end.  Have to say that I love my work in the trade so much more than my last job. 
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 12:56:15 PM
Tool wise ... nothing really, though I have been tempted to pick up one of the Vic Delemont 14s of some description. Possibly another headlamp too as I've knackered my Silva Ninox. Aside from that I'm looking forward to my first proper holiday in 15 years (two week Mediterranean cruise), and possibly looking for a new pastime to replace the boat/boatyard .... something cheaper  ;)

Mountain biking  :pok: you're halfway there mate - all you've got to do now is sit on and peddle! :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:59:00 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 01:04:34 PM

Mountain biking  :pok: you're halfway there mate - all you've got to do now is sit on and peddle! :D

True, but I'll only ever be a fair weather cyclist at best. Rain, cycling and prescription specs ... bad combo  :D I don't see that as a serious hobby for me in all seriousness. An alternate mode of transport and way to get a bit fitter, but nothing I'm going to get too enthusiastic about  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 01:11:44 PM
Got a baby on its way, but it's only 5 weeks in so there is a lot of waiting incoming.
Also this means I will have to marry my fiancee asap (traditional parents...)
Also this means less money for toys, so I only want to buy an Opinel 13 and stay away from purchases...

If I strike gold, I want a SkeleTool CX, a Wave/Surge, a MOP/silver sak, a Minichamp, a TinNi SOG... ow and a proper quadcopter drone, with a nice camera and plenty of autonomy...

In kendo, I want to attend my first cup.
In geocaching I want to do some interesting mysteries and Night Caches.
In fishkeeping I want to get external filters, a proper desk and maybe a chiller for the shrimptank...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 06:05:34 PM
Since I'm posting this from Children's Hospital LA, I'm looking forward to getting out of here on Wednesday and getting my family back together for the first time in two weeks. At 1.5 months old, my daughter had liver surgery on Thanksgiving, and had been back a couple times for complications. Really, really looking forward to getting out of here.

Wow, that's just awful. My daughter is about that age now, I can't even imagine what it must be like to go through that. Good luck; I hope the new year brings health and happiness for your little girl and the rest of your family.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 06:16:06 PM
Got a baby on its way, but it's only 5 weeks in so there is a lot of waiting incoming.
Also this means I will have to marry my fiancee asap (traditional parents...)
Also this means less money for toys, so I only want to buy an Opinel 13 and stay away from purchases...

This is about where I am now in terms of purchase power. :-) We just had our first child back in November. They're so tiny but manage to completely upend your whole life. But it's totally worth it. We had a rough pregnancy, it got a little sketchy at times, but it all turned out OK in the end. I hope things go smoothly for you guys. Like Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Best wishes for your new family!

ca Offline leg0man

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 12:32:21 AM

Like Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part.

If that's what he meant, I reckon Tom Petty didn't have toddlers tearing his house apart when he wrote it :D

Best of luck to all the new parents! It's the most rewarding, and trying, thing you'll ever do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%