Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Q knife

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Spyderco Q knife
on: January 07, 2015, 05:56:50 PM
I have mentioned in the past that I probably have more Spyderco knives than any other brand- other than SAKs and multis of course.  Well, here is one that is pretty important to me.  I thought I'd covered it before, but I couldn't find the old thread, so this might be a rerun.

This knife is very tiny, and thanks to the laser cut blade and all the holes in the resin handle, it weighs almost nothing.  Certainly less than you would expect a knife to weigh, even a tiny knife like this one.

The Q was meant as an advertising knife- if any company wanted, they could order their own logo laser cut into the blade where the Spyderco Bug is.  A fair number of companies actually took Spyderco up on this, and there are collectors that search for every variant.  Here's an image from a thread on ar15.com:

I'm not that interested in the variants, I'm perfectly happy with this one.  In addition to being a nice knife in it's own right, this knife was bought from a forum member, but another forum member and presented to me as a gift.  The forum member that got it for me is also one of my oldest friends- I won't say his name because he'd probably delete it anyway.... or possibly doesn't even remember doing it!  :P

This knife has been carried quite a bit and seen a fair bit of action.  I tend to keep it to very light duty though.  Spyderco says it will handle a full roster of work, but it's pretty small and I'm pretty paranoid so it just does light tasks.  It's also very difficult to replace, so it stays home most of the time now because I'd hate for it to get lost, broken or stolen.  And, the look of this knife is appealing enough that theft is a very good possibility!

Unlike most Spyderco knives, this one does not have the Golden Colorado tang stamp- in fact, it doesn't have one at all.  Instead it has Spyderco molded into the handle on one side and USA molded on the other.

The pocket clip is also easily removed- it's basically a spring and you just squeeze it, pull it out and either leave it off or put it in the tip up, tip down, right handed or left handed position, however you like it.  That's not usually a feature that is available on smaller knives like this one, so it's pretty cool to see.

The lock mechanism is much the same way- it's just a spring bar that fits into a notch on the blade.  This is about as simple as a lock can get and still be effective.

All in all, this is one of my favorite Spyderco knives, both for what it is, and for the fact that it was a gift from a friend.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Spyderco Q knife
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:57:45 PM
Very cool looking knife and even cooler that it is a treasured gift from a good friend !!!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:03:40 PM
:tu: that is an awesome looking knife.

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:10:43 PM
Nice little knife. Very special one as well. :)

Do you know on which standard model this was based on?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:01 PM
Honestly I couldn't tell you.   I like Spyderco but I'm hardly a Spyderco historian.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%