Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge

Roadie · 81 · 14977

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Leatherman Surge
Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 04:19:13 AM
Great review Ryan.

Hmmmm, it seems to me that there's really nothing seriously wrong with the Surge, it just doesn't live up to some people's expectations. Does that mean maybe those expectations were unreasonably high? Could be.  :think:

The Surge apparently isn't an "everyman's" tool. Instead it seems to appeal to a niche of folks with certain extra heavy duty needs who don't mind a little extra weight and unrefined edges.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 04:34:52 AM
The Surge apparently isn't an "everyman's" tool. Instead it seems to appeal to a niche of folks with certain extra heavy duty needs who don't mind a little extra weight and unrefined edges.

BINGO!  :cheers:
B

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 05:34:36 AM
its sometimes brute and unweldy, but it works like women.  :D
Hey thats not what I said...... but nice twist of word  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:30 AM
Great review Ryan.

Hmmmm, it seems to me that there's really nothing seriously wrong with the Surge, it just doesn't live up to some people's expectations. Does that mean maybe those expectations were unreasonably high? Could be.  :think:

gotta agree.im a heavy duty user,although i like little mt´s,im most likely going to use the rugged ones that can take a bit of punishment without falling into sad pile/(small pile that is)of broken pliers and blades.
and as iam big guy myself,i just carry around small tools as they look bit like toys in my belt.its visual and childish way to look at,i know :D.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 06:00:59 AM
its sometimes brute and unweldy, but it works like women.  :D
Hey thats not what I said...... but nice twist of word  :D

That is the power of creative editing. I learned it from my wife, only with her it's selective hearing.

What can I say, I'm twisted. I just have a warped sence of humor.  :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 07:31:11 AM
I think it is a classic case of individual taste . My Surge was my first MT & a gift from my wife so in my eyes it is more valuable than my NIB sideclip & a infinitely better MT, but the sideclip is always going to be more collected. BTW I really really hate the way Vic scissor springs can come out of their groove and can get in a nasty tangle on  closing , this has happened on numerous times on my SAK & once on the Swisstool X I gave a friend . The spring on my SAK is badly out of shape due to this happening once too often . So for me the Surges slightly kooky engaging mechanism is a small price to pay for the best pair of scissors I have on a MT or SAK IMHO  :D. But this is just my opinion & it is what makes the forum so great . So thanks for the great review Roadie & keep them coming . Long live the Surge & Swisstool . :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 11:24:34 AM
Great review Ryan.

I think you're right there, it has been hyped up a lot by a few people who really enjoy it and  i feel i was let down when i got it in my grubby little mitts. :-\
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 06:08:04 AM
Great review Ryan.

I think you're right there, it has been hyped up a lot by a few people who really enjoy it and  i feel i was let down when i got it in my grubby little mitts. :-\

Ah-HAH!! So its all their fault then! :twak: :D :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 02:07:58 PM

Not their, his:P

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:29:48 AM by Poncho65 »
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 01:06:22 AM
Lol. I agree with most of what's been said in defence of the 'rattle'. In all honesty, I don't find it any more than say, the split ring on an SAK for example - and mine has no play when you're using any of the tools - I just think the forces in play given the sheer weight of it means that it isn't as 'tight' as smaller tools.

And the blade exchanger is a very good innovation too!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 07:22:31 AM

:D

::) As not to start a war some might also say that about the Swisstool  :o I like the Swisstool (that's why I bought one) but it seems no more special to me than my Wave.  I guess it all boils down to preference and what 1 gets use to :D  I think I would probably think the same about the Surge :-\ no more special than my Wave as well :) Just me I guess :think: :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:29:20 AM by Poncho65 »

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:12 AM
SURGE is American as to Swisstool is to Europeans  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:28 PM

Good example duckman :salute:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 11:48:47 AM
I don't like my Surge, though not for the reasons I thought.

Initially I assumed the reasons I would not want a Surge were due to the size & exchangeable blades/screwdrivers (I don't believe in loose parts & accessories)

Most if the reason I got one was because it had a reamerspike where the Wave did not.

It turns out it is not near as hard to handle as I thought, I've had no issues with the larger size, but the fit & finish is rubbish, none of the inside tools come out easy (lubricant & use may alter this), the scissors are not fine enough to comfortably cut my nails, the blade-changer consistently fails - allowing the saw to fall out when I try to open the blade. The Plier heads jam open when I try to close the handles & the ruler is even more of a joke than the one of my PST.

I'm disappointed entirely.

I sincerely hope my next LM purchase is of greater satisfaction.

(Some may say I am a nancy cry baby. The Surge is not designed for fine finish & personal grooming, it is for manly, industrial tasks, like gutting sharks & installing intercontinental pipelines, but I don't see why you can't have fine precision quality with robust function & brutal indestructibility.)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:30 AM
I don't like my Surge, though not for the reasons I thought.

Initially I assumed the reasons I would not want a Surge were due to the size & exchangeable blades/screwdrivers (I don't believe in loose parts & accessories)

Most if the reason I got one was because it had a reamerspike where the Wave did not.

It turns out it is not near as hard to handle as I thought, I've had no issues with the larger size, but the fit & finish is rubbish, none of the inside tools come out easy (lubricant & use may alter this), the scissors are not fine enough to comfortably cut my nails, the blade-changer consistently fails - allowing the saw to fall out when I try to open the blade. The Plier heads jam open when I try to close the handles & the ruler is even more of a joke than the one of my PST.

I'm disappointed entirely.

I sincerely hope my next LM purchase is of greater satisfaction.

Well said Mr Nomad :)

(Some may say I am a nancy cry baby. The Surge is not designed for fine finish & personal grooming, it is for manly, industrial tasks, like gutting sharks & installing intercontinental pipelines, but I don't see why you can't have fine precision quality with robust function & brutal indestructibility.)

Like a Swisstool! :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 11:56:38 AM
For those who feel I am being prematurely unfair, I will confess these views are based on only a short time of handling.

Further opinions, possibly more positive, with be forthcoming as I carry the Surge over the following week(s?).

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:58 PM
Keep us updated mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 03:51:04 PM
says the man who keeps the swiss tool as the one and only decent plier based mt :D

yes keep us posted,i use surge too and its fun to hear opinions from other heavy users.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 06:31:59 PM
...but the fit & finish is rubbish

My thoughts exactly.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 06:33:32 PM
Back on a friends cpu.. Why do you guys think the fit and finish is so bad?
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:11 PM
Back on a friends cpu.. Why do you guys think the fit and finish is so bad?

Because it is.  :P

The edges are rough and jagedy, it rattles (but we have discussed this) and it just doesn't have a quality feel like other LM's.

TBH, I thought the Surge felt like it was unfinished.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 06:47:00 PM
I guess I have gotten used to it..
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:46 PM
I really don't get this "fit and finish" criticism. I have mine in hand as I type this, and I can see precisely no flaws in it at all. It's tight, and perfectly well put together.

I can understand that people simply don't like it, but rubbishing on the basis of quality I find bizarre.

Quote from: Nomad

Are you sure you've got a real one, as these points could not be applied to any Leatherman Surge I have ever seen? And I've seen a few.

I can't actually figure out how the blade exchanger could fail as you open it - it doesn't seem possible as the pivoted "housing" for the exchanger would have to to be opened into the tool's handles from the closed position, which obviously isn't possible, yet there's no way the blade could fall out without the "housing" being opened, there simply isn't the tolerance.

I can't find any problems with the scissors either. The plier sticking open is typical of all Leatherman extra-large/full-sized tools, and even the Juice range, but will disappear with use.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
I can't say I noticed what Nomad is saying about the tools smoothness etc, but the edges of the Surges handles were rough and felt very shoddily done IMO.

Older tools such as my Supertool have a far better finish (IMO) than that Surge that I handled.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 09:58:30 PM
I can't say I noticed what Nomad is saying about the tools smoothness etc, but the edges of the Surges handles were rough and felt very shoddily done IMO.

Older tools such as my Supertool have a far better finish (IMO) than that Surge that I handled.

What my Surge? I have it here now and the handles have no rough / shoddy features at all. The area of the handle that you grip when using the pliers is folded and rounded, so there's actually nothing there to "fit" well or otherwise.

I've commented on this forum before that the Surge isn't really to my liking, but I think that suggesting that it's quality is lacking or that it is shoddy is well wide of the mark.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:55 PM

What my Surge? I have it here now and the handles have no rough / shoddy features at all. The area of the handle that you grip when using the pliers is folded and rounded, so there's actually nothing there to "fit" well or otherwise.

I've commented on this forum before that the Surge isn't really to my liking, but I think that suggesting that it's quality is lacking or that it is shoddy is well wide of the mark.

Actually I was referring to Def's one (sorry Def!  :D) and what I was referring to was the roughness of the handles up near the plier head.  It was actually one of the first things I noticed as even compared to my original Wave it felt rough and like I said "unfinished".  Every other LM product I have been impressed with the quality, but this I have to say I found disappointing.

Still, it may have just been a one off (although Nomad seems to have similar issues as well) and it certainly would not put me off buying from them in the future.  :)
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 10:14:43 PM
Still, it may have just been a one off (although Nomad seems to have similar issues as well) and it certainly would not put me off buying from them in the future.  :)

Maybe you're right. I'm not really the type to blindly defend something and I there are some characteristics of the Surge that I'm not overly impressed with (like the rattle) but I honestly cannot see any quality issues with mine or the half dozen or so I've bought / sold.

I just feel the Surge get's a bit of unfair stick, maybe as has been said - it was overhyped in the first place! I recall seeing the Swisstool at the meet for the first time, and whilst I wasn't exactly disappointed, I wasn't excited either! I'm not sure what I expected it to do, but needless to say - it didn't!

Maybe we should adopt a policy of not talking about tools on the site in case we prejudice people's opinions of them ............ oh. Ah.

:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 10:21:13 PM
I think we should ban all tool talk completely.  :D

I agree, part of my "problem" with the Surge is that I wanted to really like it (as LM123 would say, it has everything!  :D) and I just didn't  :(, and I think I am more disappointed than anything.

Compared to my Charge and my Supertool I do still feel it is not as nicely finished though.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:27 PM
What oversized and over the top  :P   ;)

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:41 PM
You just wait until my Skeletool review  :D

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!