Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small tinker appreciation.

cbl51 · 102 · 19785

Offline ComboTool

Re: Small tinker appreciation.
Reply #90 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:59 AM
:cheers:  Welcome!

I agree.  The Small Tinker or Tourist would be fine for an EDC.  but for me, over the years I've needed scissors.  It's unfortunate that scissors don't come in an 84mm SAK any more.  The 85mm SAKs lose a point in my estimation because while they are shorter than a 91mm, they are wider than their 91mm counterpart.

But I might have found a solution to my scissor problem... we'll see.
It may be the solution you already have in mind, otherwise you may consider adapting Wenger scissors to work in the 84mm frame (fairly easy). 91mm scissors can be used as well but it's a bit more work (requires a backspring modification).

ca Offline Altis

Reply #91 on: July 11, 2021, 09:41:25 PM
At the risk of taking some fire for asking, can I get a Small Tinker that isn't red? I think the tool set looks fantastic, but after growing up with decades of the "swiss army red", I like my new knives to have a bit of variety to them. At the very least, make it easier to tell them apart!

I just got a Donuts printed full-sized Tinker from SMKW. The printing is really too fragile to EDC, but a small tinker to take with me sounds amazing.

You can get new 84mm red, black, or white scales on ebay. Not a ton of choice but it's something  :D

Offline bobartig

Reply #92 on: July 12, 2021, 10:30:30 PM
So just buy the Red and some replacement scales, and manually mod to White or Black... 🤔 Well, better to know one's options. thanks for this!

ca Offline Altis

Reply #93 on: July 12, 2021, 11:33:03 PM
So just buy the Red and some replacement scales, and manually mod to White or Black... 🤔 Well, better to know one's options. thanks for this!

That's pretty much what you have to do with most of the 91mm as well, especially if you want colours like yellow or blue, as most are only red or a very small selection of scale options.

If you're careful with removing the scales and use warm water (~70 C) you can reuse the scales (at least once).  :cheers:

I've been reaching for the Tinker Small quite a bit lately. Such a nice carry  :D

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #94 on: December 31, 2021, 06:43:22 PM
This one has mostly lived on my desk for the past three years, yet has still seen much use as 'the one I reach for' when I can't be bothered to contort myself around my swivel chair in order to reach my knife pocket.
It was also the one I carried when my daughter was born, so of course was one of the first things she saw upon entering this world.

TinkerSmall.jpg
* TinkerSmall.jpg (Filesize: 198.71 KB)

us Offline Domino1

Reply #95 on: January 01, 2022, 03:25:52 PM
I need to get a Tinker small as I have the other three Tinkers.

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #96 on: January 01, 2022, 05:14:30 PM
It looks to be a cool smaller SAK !
But no corkscrew, hmmmmmmm...

Hard for a french guy !  :rofl:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #97 on: January 01, 2022, 06:05:40 PM
But no corkscrew, hmmmmmmm...
Hard for a french guy !  :rofl:
So get a Spartan... with the exception of that one tool, it's the exact same thing.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #98 on: January 01, 2022, 06:06:23 PM
Within the borders of France, you're never more than 5m away from the nearest corkscrew, so there's no penalty for having a backspring Phillips on your SAK :whistle:

us Offline austin83

Reply #99 on: January 01, 2022, 06:50:21 PM
I’m a big fan of the Small Tinker with no keyring!   

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #100 on: January 01, 2022, 09:45:30 PM
Within the borders of France, you're never more than 5m away from the nearest corkscrew, so there's no penalty for having a backspring Phillips on your SAK :whistle:
Until you need the mini screwdriver for your mirrored aviator sunglasses...  8) ;)

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #101 on: January 02, 2022, 08:51:42 PM
Haha I know I was just joking :P
That's why I like to have multiple SAK on me, a SC to tinker with stuff, a Nomad to eat, a Minichamp to do regular day stuff like openning package, trimming things...  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%