Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck X-Tract 730 Realtree

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Buck X-Tract 730 Realtree
on: January 09, 2015, 10:17:02 PM
So here's a review that Monrogue and Harley are bound to love, this is the first MT I happily carried and prompted me to look further into the field and eventually end up with a Leatherman and an account on this site.... Disclaimer- The tool reviewed is beaten and abused, so it's certainly not a look at a fresh out of the box tool. This is part one of two, the second being a practical test of the tool to show the results of it in use. Probably in the next few days or so.

Overview:

The X-Tract is a now discontinued MT that differs from the typical offerings in that it is based primarily around a stout, one hand opening, liner locked, 3" Buck blade. The big pull of this tool is that every implement is one handed opening, which can be very useful at times. It is a Combo edge with the serrations making up a little less than half of the 420HC blade. In the same "layer" as the blade is an equally OHO and liner locked can opener, which also works as a cap lifter. The other layer holds the diminutive pliers, and both phillips and flathead drivers on their slide-rail type system. Finally, as part of the tools construction, is a glass breaker/lanyard hole that is rather stout.

Facts:

Weight: Around 6 oz
Length Closed: About 4.5"
Length Opened: 7.5"
Thickness: Just north of .5"
(Bare with me, measurements taken using the ruler on the side of my Fuse)

Tool Rundown:

Blade- This blade has been my most carried, and most used to date. I am a fan of Buck's 420HC as it takes a great edge, maintains it for a reasonable amount of time, and is beyond easy to resharpen. The serrations, while I tend to avoid them in general, are very good. They are very sharp even after years of use and easily rip into and cut materials rather than getting hung up and tugging on them. I managed to chip the blade in the serrated section, and even that is sharp. It isn't the best blade around, but it is world's above other MT blades in my book. As it should be since the tool is based on it. I've used it to dig signs out of trees, break down cardboard, do some light sawing with the serrations, and all sorts of other taxing work. Still sharp as ever.

Pliers- Long story short, they're just not good. They slide up and out the front of the tool using your thumb, and lock into place via a lock lever seen on the leading edge of the tool. This system works very well as they lock up and stay put at all times. The design and concept of them limited them from the get go, you just simply cannot get enough leverage for them to be useful. They are sprung though, to further the idea of one handed use. I found it hard to lift up a full tin can from a fire without it slipping.

The next two pictures show how they've been tweaked out of line, and then how the bottom of the handle goes into the knife before the tips meet resulting in even less leverage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drivers- These drivers sit along the backside of the tool, and are part of a single steel bar. To operate, you press a button in the middle down with your thumb and slide out the driver you want, this button locks the drivers out at either end. The drivers are a bit short, but not terribly so. The flathead driver suffers a bit more due to the fact that the lanyard triangle also sticks out of the same end, limiting the clearance. While this system doesn't really feel like the most confidence inspiring lock-up, I can personally vouch for it being much better than it may seem. I had to anchor a railing I had just built to the cement wall next to it. The 18v drill I was using didn't have enough power to finish sinking the anchor screws, and all I had was the X-Tract. I used the phillips driver to easily finish turning four of these screws without a single slip or disengagement of the lock. I would never doubt these drivers capabilities.

Can Opener- Nice one handed action with a liner lock better than I've seen on some knives. The can opener opens cans, like you would expect, but it isn't all that great at it to be honest. You won't starve, but it won't be the most fluid and enjoyable experience. It works much better as a bottle opener. I got much more use out of it in situations other than what it is intended for. You can see by the picture that it isn't in the best of shape, this is due to the fact that it was used frequently as an awl to rip holes in steel. This is basically abuse, and blatant misuse, but it performed this task admirably many times and isn't too much worse for wear. I'm not saying I recommend you do this, but the tool is tough.

Lanyard Loop- Not much to say, it's a big thick, solid hunk of metal. For the longest time I kept a braided paracord lanyard through it as a way to keep a bit of extra cordage and to make it easier to pull from the sheath. I ended up using the cord and haven't gotten around to adding a new one. I can't attest to its glass breaking ability, but I can imagine any solid slightly pointed bit of steel will get the job done.

Sheath- Well as you can see, I'm no longer using the matching sheath. The snap button on the front bent and cracked off from overuse, though I don't see this as reasonable. They're just the typical cheap nylon sheath's that just about everything comes with, but they sit nicely on the belt and get the job done. When I emailed Buck about the broken sheath they just mailed me a new one no questions asked, which I thought was cool. The email was even asking where I could purchase a new one. The one I was sent is actually for the X-Tract Fin I believe, as it has the extra pouch inside with the small diamond file/hook sharpener.

Ergonomics:

The tool is comfortable to use in any configuration. It feels just like a slightly fatter folder, and the width isn't obnoxious. It gives more of a full hand, solid grip that feels very nice to hold and to use. No matter what tool you are using, there are not hot spots no matter how hard you squeeze that will lead to discomfort during use, which is great. I can only assume the scales are FRN riveted and bolted onto the steel frame, the rubberized grip on this example is great. I've handled others without it, and honestly it makes a difference. I would make it a point to get one with the rubberized scales. Though don't use it like a hammer as I have :facepalm:

Conclusion:

Though it didn't receive much love, and has since been put out to pasture, the X-Tract certainly is not a bad tool. It must be viewed as a good, entry level folder, with extra capabilities. I would say it would make a great option for those who typically carry just a knife, as the blade is not compromised at all. Also a a pretty good option for camping and general use. It was my only knife/tool when I was stuck on an island in the pouring rain for 24 hours, and it didn't let me down, or rust for that matter. The pliers give it an undeserved bad reputation, but it is worth another look. I am attached to this tool, and think it to be a capable option, but it certainly isn't without faults.

Pros:
- All one handed opening
- Very good blade
- All implements are tough as smurf

Cons:
- Pliers are this tools downfall
- Drivers are a bit stubby
- No clip, and a bit big to just sit in the pocket

Thanks for reading!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Buck X-Tract 730 Realtree
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:08 PM
nice  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:23:54 PM
Nice review. The Xtract is one I have been wanting to try.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:00 PM
Thanks guys!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:37:50 PM
Nice review. I'm a big fan of my x-tract essential which is great for fishing with all the OHO implements it has.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:20 PM
Nice review. I'm a big fan of my x-tract essential which is great for fishing with all the OHO implements it has.

Mine went fishing quite a few times as well. If the pliers on the standard version were scissors I think I would like that a bit more.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:54:21 PM
Very nice review. I had searched for these awhile ago and it was troublesome to find any.

Did yours come with a pocket clip? Or only sheath carry?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:58:32 PM
Very nice review. I had searched for these awhile ago and it was troublesome to find any.

Did yours come with a pocket clip? Or only sheath carry?

Sadly I think they are all retired, which is probably why you couldn't find much. Mine is the first one that they came out with and had no clip, only the sheath. I think the Essential that Nhoj has was the only one they put a clip on, but I'm not 100% on that

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:07 AM
Great review buddy!  I'm sure Harley will wish he had one ;)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:51:39 PM
Good review. This is like my X-Tract I have used it camping for several years. Like stated it is a good all round light duty tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:10 PM
I agree. Great review. I love this tool because it is one of those rare designs where everything is easily accessible via one hand.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Thanks guys! It's pretty fun to write to be honest. The one handedness and big blade are what brought me to it to begin with.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:40 AM
This is making me want to carry mine again.....or at least fiddle with it ;). I wish it had a pocket clip instead of a light though.  The light is pretty good actually, but it makes the handle fatter and more awkward for back pocket carry.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 01:16:01 PM
I have 2 X-tracts, can't remember the model numbers. But I do remember when I got the first one. On taking it out of the bland generic white box, then seeing "China" stamped on the blade and then seeing the awful lateral movement on the blade I scoffed at my own stupidity for buying it. I sat down and began to type a review (Amazon) it was while I was doing this that I noticed the torx head screws - fearing I had absolutely nothing to lose I tightened them up and at the same time applied some thin oil (sewing machine oil) I couldn't believe the transformation. The tool suddenly became completely OHO on ALL tools, the lateral movement was gone - not even the slightest trace remained.

Needless to say I didn't leave the bad review, instead came away thinking it was actually a very useful OHO MT, quite possibly the only true OHO MT out there.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 05:20:25 PM
I have 2 X-tracts, can't remember the model numbers. But I do remember when I got the first one. On taking it out of the bland generic white box, then seeing "China" stamped on the blade and then seeing the awful lateral movement on the blade I scoffed at my own stupidity for buying it. I sat down and began to type a review (Amazon) it was while I was doing this that I noticed the torx head screws - fearing I had absolutely nothing to lose I tightened them up and at the same time applied some thin oil (sewing machine oil) I couldn't believe the transformation. The tool suddenly became completely OHO on ALL tools, the lateral movement was gone - not even the slightest trace remained.

Needless to say I didn't leave the bad review, instead came away thinking it was actually a very useful OHO MT, quite possibly the only true OHO MT out there.

They are a pretty good indication that China doesn't mean bad quality in all cases. I'm glad you gave it a chance, sort of a shame it came that loose though.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 05:57:23 AM

There are counterfeit X-Tracts all over the internet. After Buck discontinued the X-Tract China has continued manufacturing them. It sounds like if it was in a white box it most likely was not sold trough Buck.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 07:59:07 AM

There are counterfeit X-Tracts all over the internet. After Buck discontinued the X-Tract China has continued manufacturing them. It sounds like if it was in a white box it most likely was not sold trough Buck.

Interestin'  As I assumed ALL X-Tracts had been built in China. If it's a counterfeit then it's a very good one. I have 2 X-Tracts although different models the build quality is identical - so I'm guessing either they're both counterfeit or originals.

Maybe you could give me a link to yours so I can compare.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:18 AM
 :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 01:06:27 PM
They're not exactly counterfeits ... they are the original tools ... it's just that they are unofficial. As Longbow pointed out, what appears to have happened is that Buck contracted production from overseas, but even after the contract ceased, the production continued. Instead of these tools being sold through the correct channels and Buck getting their mark up etc, these tools are now readily available to the end user without proper packaging or warranty, but at what appears to be the original quality level, and at much lower prices.

They are still naughty in as much as they are not official tools and should not be bearing the Buck company details, if indeed produced at all. They do however appear to be identical to the original/oficial tool rather than a cheap replica

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 01:31:25 PM
Great write up!  :tu: I too have one of those, and since someone threw out this "original/counterfeit" issue, i would really like to know which one is mine!
Antonio

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:19 PM
Mine came in a Buck yellow box, so I assume mine is an original.  If not, oh well, doesn't bother me really as it's good quality (other than those pliers of course ;)).
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 03:34:36 PM
Mine came in a Buck yellow box, so I assume mine is an original.  If not, oh well, doesn't bother me really as it's good quality (other than those pliers of course ;)).

Good quality?

You plan to stick with that story?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 04:10:19 PM

Good quality?

You plan to stick with that story?

Yes I do :pok:  I'm not experienced with folders and how they all compare in quality, so take that for what it is.  The thing seems quality to me with the exception of the pliers as I mentioned.  Sure, I would expect some brand name folder to be higher quality, especially if I paid $50-$100 or more for it, but none of them offer any functionality other than the blade itself. 
K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 04:58:54 PM
some more information from prof. 50ft:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41278.0.html

and one I have:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:20:45 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
That's a cool one dks :tu: 
K-Tibbs

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:33 PM
They're not exactly counterfeits ... they are the original tools ... it's just that they are unofficial. As Longbow pointed out, what appears to have happened is that Buck contracted production from overseas, but even after the contract ceased, the production continued. Instead of these tools being sold through the correct channels and Buck getting their mark up etc, these tools are now readily available to the end user without proper packaging or warranty, but at what appears to be the original quality level, and at much lower prices.

They are still naughty in as much as they are not official tools and should not be bearing the Buck company details, if indeed produced at all. They do however appear to be identical to the original/oficial tool rather than a cheap replica

Very good explanation. As stated the X-Tract has always been produced in China. I do not have one produced after Buck discontinued them. I would be curious to compare quality.  I would just be cautious of any sold directly from China.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:21 AM
I would be curious to compare quality.

There both junk.  :pok:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 03:20:09 AM

Come on, no love for Buck?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:11 AM

Meh just busting chops mostly.

Seems like a big tool for what you get is prolly my only real issue with it. Well that and the lame pliers.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:44 AM

Meh just busting chops mostly.

Seems like a big tool for what you get is prolly my only real issue with it. Well that and the lame pliers.

Ditch the pliers and I'd actually like it more! It's not annoyingly large, not small either though. Quality isn't lacking though, even the plier head seems pretty damn well made, just the handle is too small. I'd trust this plier head more than the one on the Crucial

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD