Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper??? 6952

Sr. Member Posts: 340 What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper???
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
OK, cap lifter and flat head screw driver, great

But, a wire stripper? Really?

How does this relatively smooth notch, strip insulation off of  a wire?

I tried to use it, just for the heck of it and butchered the plasic insulation, at best

Or is it just me ?

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,622 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
Well it's not to score the wire, you'd use the knife blade for that. It's after you score the wire that you put the plastic part in the wire stripper notch and pull the insulation off.
Hero Member Posts: 935
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 12:25:49 AM »
It's not a wire stripper..... It's a wire bender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 1,373
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:09:45 AM »
It's not a wire stripper..... It's a wire bender.

Correct. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that the inside edge of the caplifter used to be sharpened like an electrician's blade. This was the actual "wire stripper" and the notch was the bender. Unfortunately this very cool feature was stopped around 1973.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:29:26 AM »
Well it's not to score the wire, you'd use the knife blade for that. It's after you score the wire that you put the plastic part in the wire stripper notch and pull the insulation off.

OK, now  that makes sense
Its an insulation puller actually
Thanks
Full Member Posts: 120
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:34 AM »
Correct. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that the inside edge of the caplifter used to be sharpened like an electrician's blade. This was the actual "wire stripper" and the notch was the bender. Unfortunately this very cool feature was stopped around 1973.

Was the notch beveled toward one side to create the edge? Does anyone have a picture?  Might be an easy mod!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »

Thanks
It's really not an insulation puller, though you may use that technique.  It's really a solid core wire bender.  You would use it to bend wire to put them under screw terminals, etc. 

Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 36,819
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:07 AM »

Was the notch beveled toward one side to create the edge? Does anyone have a picture?  Might be an easy mod!

Not the notch. It was on the curve of the bottle opener. One could easily do it to the notch though.
The Vic User MaRe: Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper???
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 03:02:16 AM »
 I just checked a Vic user manual and it shows a wire stripper on both the large blade and the combo tool, but  it doesn't explain how to use it???

http://www.swissarmy.com/medias/sys_master/us/swissarmyknives/Manuals/VMS07025_REV0609_SAK_Manual_Update_FINAL_pdf.pdf
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:20:59 AM by BADSAK »
Re: The Vic User MaRe: Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper???
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:28 AM »
I just checked a Vic user manual and it shows a wire stripper on both the large blade and the combo tool, but  it doesn't explain how to use it???

http://www.swissarmy.com/medias/sys_master/us/swissarmyknives/Manuals/VMS07025_REV0609_SAK_Manual_Update_FINAL_pdf.pdf

That was my original question
A wire stripper has  sharp edges,  like on my dedicated wire  stripper/crimping tools
Maybe it should not be called a "wire stripper" at all ?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:22:54 AM by Marcellus »
Hero Member Posts: 665 SAK knives matter !
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 06:26:30 AM »
I used a round needle file and made it into a wire stripper and thin wire cutter.
Rich

------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------
Hero Member Posts: 883
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 06:51:56 AM »
If they'd simply put a chisel grind on it it would be effective. I keep reminding my self to attempt it with a file but then I keep reminding my self I never use a wire stripper.
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,611
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Thanks
It's really not an insulation puller, though you may use that technique.  It's really a solid core wire bender.  You would use it to bend wire to put them under screw terminals, etc. 

Yes it is - And it works beautifully - As long as you score all round first with the blade as per Enki's instructions
And it's a wire bender too

So it's both :)

Although I agree its name confused me to start with.
 - I thought I did see a Vic instruction once on how to do this - But maybe that was on youtube

I like Rich S's mod though  :tu: - Then it really is a stripper
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,622 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »

Here's jazzbass' picture that shows the Electricians blade type sharpened bottle opener compared with the regular bottle opener.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 05:08:54 PM »
OK, well I started this, so thanks for the comments everyone

I take away from the discussion, that no, it wasn't just me confused about the notch

And, the product description of this tool could easily read
" cap lifter, slot head screw  driver, and a handy little notch" 
Sr. Member Posts: 454
Victorinox cap lifter, flat head driver, and wire stripper???
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 02:55:08 AM »
Thanks

Yes it is - And it works beautifully - As long as you score all round first with the blade as per Enki's instructions

- I thought I did see a Vic instruction once on how to do this - But maybe that was on youtube

No....it's not.  Your choice to use it how you see fit, but that doesn't make it a wire stripper or an insulation puller.  It's design purpose and intent is wire bender.
Not loving the video.....using a knife on small conductor stranded wire is highly unadvisable.  I couldn't count how many service calls I've run over the years that came back to a sloppy install terminations that resulted in broken wire strands. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:06:12 AM by s2mason »
Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 36,819
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 03:37:48 AM »
Thanks

No....it's not.  Your choice to use it how you see fit, but that doesn't make it a wire stripper or an insulation puller.  It's design purpose and intent is wire bender.
Not loving the video.....using a knife on small conductor stranded wire is highly unadvisable.  I couldn't count how many service calls I've run over the years that came back to a sloppy install terminations that resulted in broken wire strands. 

Can you post pics of what you use to strip wire please.
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,611
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »
No....it's not. Your choice to use it how you see fit, but that doesn't make it a wire stripper or an insulation puller. 
It's design purpose and intent is wire bender.

OK boss, if you say so.

However, just so you know....
- The Vic website and the little instruction leaflet they issue with their pocket knives disagree with you.

Sounds like we should all be going for a Leatherman ES4 - Always fancied one of them. Or that great big Gerber thingy that we once had as a monthly draw prize.  :D
Sr. Member Posts: 454
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
Thanks

In the manual it's clearly indicated as a wire stripper:
https://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/us/swissarmyknives/Manuals/VMS07025_REV0609_SAK_Manual_Update_FINAL_pdf.pdf

Most electricans I've seen never use a dedicated wire stripper but just an electricans knife basically using this method but without the notch thing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:26:54 AM by Mextreme »
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
No....it's not. Your choice to use it how you see fit, but that doesn't make it a wire stripper or an insulation puller. 
It's design purpose and intent is wire bender.

OK boss, if you say so.

However, just so you know....
- The Vic website and the little instruction leaflet they issue with their pocket knives disagree with you.

I agree, it must have been Vic's intent to use this tool as a wire stripper or they wouldn't have called it one. I admit, until I saw the video I wasn't sure how to use this tool. That being said, I don't see how the notch could function very well as a wire bender. Most of my wire strippers have a hole in them. Just insert the end of a stripped solid wire into the hole and roll the strippers over, bending the wire around the edge of the tool to create a nice hook for termination.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
Lively discussion
I figured someone would post a reply or two, and the tread would sink into oblivion

My focus was, how does it work and  what can I do with ONLY a SAK on hand?
Not comparing it to the merits of a dedicated wire stripper/crimper/ cutters 

Followed the wire stripping video posted above
It does work, if carefully done
But, so does a knife blade used by itself
Not my first choice to do the job, but away from the proper tools, it will do, in a pinch
I can see the "notch" assisting in forming a bend or loop, if needed

Thanks

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
Lively discussion
I figured someone would post a reply or two, and the tread would sink into oblivion

Not my first choice to do the job, but away from the proper tools, it will do, in a pinch

Thanks

Yes, a SAK is not the best tool for many job's, but it could be a lifesaver when nothing else is available.

How do you envision the notch functioning as a wire bender? It looks like you could lay the end of the wire in the notch and bend a little, move the wire further into the notch and bend a little more, repeating until you have formed a loop.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Lively discussion

Thanks

Yes, a SAK is not the best tool for many job's, but it could be a lifesaver when nothing else is available.

How do you envision the notch functioning as a wire bender? It looks like you could lay the end of the wire in the notch and bend a little, move the wire further into the notch and bend a little more, repeating until you have formed a loop.

That's exactly how I envision it
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:31:31 PM by Marcellus »
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
If we want to post contradictory things from Vic, here's their take on it for the Swisstool model. 
https://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/us/swissarmyknives/Manuals/Swisstool_Manual.pdf

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:45 AM »
If we want to post contradictory things from Vic, here's their take on it for the Swisstool model. 
https://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/us/swissarmyknives/Manuals/Swisstool_Manual.pdf

Not a good example. The Swiss tool already has a dedicated electrician's blade so they couldn't call the notch on the bottle opener and the one on the electrician's blade the same. ;) (No.17-19)

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 12:13:13 AM »

Thanks

Can you post pics of what you use to strip wire please.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »
Here's a proper wire stripper..... Without it, I wouldn't have a career.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »
and this is what you would get by properly using a solid core wire bender

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95