Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sometimes, the SAK file turns out to be BETTER than the Leatherman diamond file

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
This winter, for some reason the Land-Rover wouldn't start. I could hear the solenoid, but the starter didn't engage.   The infuriating thing was, it wouldn't crankstart either.  >:(

So, last weekend, I pulled the starter and found that the gear was sticking a bit on the shaft.  A couple squirts of the dry garage door opener lubricant (it dries so it won't attract dirt) and the starter was spinning fine after re-install.

But...

The truck would not fire.   That meant time to troubleshoot the distributor and coil.  The first thing I did was replace the condenser, since when they're wonky, they can test ok, and still not work. (I used the bit driver on the Cybertimer, because of the excellent reach). Testing the LT circuit showed that when the points were closed, the system still had 1.6 volts still going from the coil to ground (should be 0V).  Before replacing the points, I decided to lightly file them to see if it was just some corrosion/dirt.

The shape of the SAK file is perfect to slip in there and lightly file.  The Leatherman file is just too fat to get in there without prying on the points.

So in summary:  For ignition troubleshooting, the Cybertool 41 is the clear winner.   :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I might have mentioned this before once or twice ;) but I LOVE the SAK metal file, especially the new style one. :2tu:

Nice troubleshooting, Nate. :hatsoff:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Yeah, nice job Nate.

I would like to propose that the SAK saw is better than most if not all saws mounted on pliers based tools too. It's slender profile makes it easy for cuts in tight spots, the bidirectional tools also adds to the diversity, if doesn't get impeded by the opposing handle, and being thinner than most it is more efficient as less material has to be removed

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
I might have mentioned this before once or twice ;) but I LOVE the SAK metal file, especially the new style one. :2tu:

Agree.  The new style file is a very nice tool.  Just the right bite.

I would like to propose that the SAK saw is better than most if not all saws mounted on pliers based tools too. It's slender profile makes it easy for cuts in tight spots, the bidirectional tools also adds to the diversity, if doesn't get impeded by the opposing handle, and being thinner than most it is more efficient as less material has to be removed

I do prefer the Leatherman saw for kiln dried lumber because it has less tear out.  However for green wood and sheetrock, the SAK saw is much better.  More aggressive

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%