Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Consensus, Spirit better than Swisstool

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Consensus, Spirit better than Swisstool
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:54 PM
The Swisstool has to be better than the spirit as it has the Vic scissors and not those hybrids.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 04:30:02 PM
All the tools on all my Vics protrude when closed.  Ive not heard of anyone making it an issue with comfort.  Heck the corkscrew alone is the poster child of NON ergonomics.  While smooth the Spirits tools also protrude unlike the flat tools of the Swisstool ( when closed ).  I just dont buy the argument on the whole ergo thing.  I get that in plier mode its more comfy for some, got it understood.  As an argument tho against other tools it falls flat for me.     

I do like the bluntish plier tips on both the Spirit and Swisstool however it would be nice to see some refinements on the Swisstool.  I have a Swisstool that has some tools that are nearly nail breakers to open.  I also dig the Spirits chisel more tho my Swisstool has a "notch" on the spine that I like. 

I also like the Spirits awl better but not because the hook.  The Swisstools Philip is a beast and better shape along the spine as well.  There is no clear winner with these two very good tools.   If you own either and carry it then you know.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:07 PM
I do love them both and am having trouble choosing.  The Spirit is more fitting overall, but that is only due to its lighter weight.  The pliers aren't quite as blunt as the Swisstool's, so that helps a bit.  I do still prefer the sharp lines of the ST over the shape of the Spirit.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 06:21:25 PM
I'm the same way greenbear.  There's something about the looks of the Swisstool that I just like better.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's kind of chunkier and more substantial in the hand  :)

us Offline BASguy

Consensus, Spirit better than Swisstool
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 07:09:11 PM
All the tools on all my Vics protrude when closed.  Ive not heard of anyone making it an issue with comfort.  Heck the corkscrew alone is the poster child of NON ergonomics.  While smooth the Spirits tools also protrude unlike the flat tools of the Swisstool ( when closed ).  I just dont buy the argument on the whole ergo thing.  I get that in plier mode its more comfy for some, got it understood.  As an argument tho against other tools it falls flat for me.     

I do like the bluntish plier tips on both the Spirit and Swisstool however it would be nice to see some refinements on the Swisstool.  I have a Swisstool that has some tools that are nearly nail breakers to open.  I also dig the Spirits chisel more tho my Swisstool has a "notch" on the spine that I like. 

I also like the Spirits awl better but not because the hook.  The Swisstools Philip is a beast and better shape along the spine as well.  There is no clear winner with these two very good tools.   If you own either and carry it then you know.     
I wasn't really intending to make an argument about ergonomics as much as I was stating a fact as it relates to me.  I've had nerve surgery on my hand and I can assure you there is a dramatic difference in using this tool for an extended period of time vs the Wave.  Whether you buy that or not isn't the point.
Also, I don't think to many people would argue the fact that the Waves closed tool protrusion substantially exceeds the Spirit.
I do very much like the beefy SwissTool, I just don't need it on a daily basis so it doesn't get carried.  If The Spirit can't handle it then I go to dedicated tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:14:32 PM by BASguy »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 07:34:12 PM

I wasn't really intending to make an argument about ergonomics as much as I was stating a fact as it relates to me.  I've had nerve surgery on my hand and I can assure you there is a dramatic difference in using this tool for an extended period of time vs the Wave.  Whether you buy that or not isn't the point.
Also, I don't think to many people would argue the fact that the Waves closed tool protrusion substantially exceeds the Spirit.
I do very much like the beefy SwissTool, I just don't need it on a daily basis so it doesn't get carried.  If The Spirit can't handle it then I go to dedicated tools.

Ergonomics for many is the first thing mentioned about the Spirit.  Honestly it irks me when its not being used but for a moment in time.  Ergo's IMO cannot play a part when the usage is so limited YMMV.

I've been keeping up with your thread ( Spirit at work ) and for someone like you who is using the tool repetitively then no argument at all about ergo's  :salute:.   Great thread BTW especially since the tool is doing what you say it can and what I know it can. 

No question the Wave and Surge OHO blade protrude when the tools are closed.  The Surge in particular with the blade exchanger.  I'd like to see a merging of the Swisstool and Spirit however what I like and what other like is mile away. 

Back to the bottom line and that's find a tool that works well for you and if need be modify it to make it better.  I'm also using my MTs daily and often but I have bricks for hand so ergo's is not a huge issue YET. 

I am starting to get aches and pains in my hands so a SOG might be in my future ( compound leverage )  :rofl:.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:58 PM

Ergonomics for many is the first thing mentioned about the Spirit.  Honestly it irks me when its not being used but for a moment in time.  Ergo's IMO cannot play a part when the usage is so limited YMMV.

I've been keeping up with your thread ( Spirit at work ) and for someone like you who is using the tool repetitively then no argument at all about ergo's  :salute:.   Great thread BTW especially since the tool is doing what you say it can and what I know it can. 

No question the Wave and Surge OHO blade protrude when the tools are closed.  The Surge in particular with the blade exchanger.  I'd like to see a merging of the Swisstool and Spirit however what I like and what other like is mile away. 

Back to the bottom line and that's find a tool that works well for you and if need be modify it to make it better.  I'm also using my MTs daily and often but I have bricks for hand so ergo's is not a huge issue YET. 

I am starting to get aches and pains in my hands so a SOG might be in my future ( compound leverage )  :rofl:.     
You might be on to something with that compound leverage.
I realize that my needs are probably different than most so it's a little hard to gauge usability for most people based on my analysis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:58 PM
Ok now just for a moment think about a Vic MT with compound leverage  :think:

Now that would be something. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 02:31:51 AM