Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Spirit at work....

BASguy · 83 · 4761

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Spirit at work....
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 08:28:56 AM
He carried a SuperTool for at least a decade before that and went through the original and 2nd gen and they both ultimately were retired after multiple trips back to Leatherman for various repairs.  His SwissTool has never been back to Victorinox for any kind of repair work.  Build quality just seems to be better.

Very interesting.

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 04:25:17 PM
I actually chatted with him yesterday about this issue and he indicated the times the ST's went back for repairs were after he'd done things that he shouldn't have, so build quality being an issue was likely not a fair statement regarding the ST series.  I too, carried an ST for 6 years and can't say that was an issue.  He did point out that the SwissTool outside opening tools and overall tight, yet easy opening spring feel to the tools along with ergonomics make it a superior choice.  The audible "click" and lockup if just incredibly satisfying.  I would agree in these same regards from transitioning from the OW to the Spirit.  However, the OW was IMO the very best tool Leatherman ever made, and I have nothing negative to say about it.  I just find in my line of work I don't need OHO, and it's far easier to access drivers, etc from the outside. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:27:55 PM by BMSguy »

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 05:09:33 PM

A little control board action today.  Love the tech driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline BASguy

Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 12:22:52 AM
Pliers get used all day around here

us Offline BASguy

Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 12:25:49 AM
Vic's buddy CT34 getting in on the action.  Just can't beat SAK pliers as a "grabbing tool"

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 01:11:47 AM
Great pics.

You can't beat a spirits easily accessible tool loadout.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 03:02:25 AM

Great pics.

You can't beat a spirits easily accessible tool loadout.
Yeah, that's true.  It's just the perfect tool for what I need on a daily basis.  Spirit, wire strippers, and meter cover 95% of my tasks.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 04:58:26 AM
Very interesting thread :tu:  I enjoy seeing how the Spirit handles some real use as it is one of my favorites.  I just don't use mine heavily, so it's cool to see it put to work.
K-Tibbs

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 06:10:02 AM
I find as a work tool I go to it almost exclusively now.  The 14 years I carried the OG Wave ( and prior 6 years of ST200) I carried a full tool bag around and mainly just used the Wave for OHO blades.  I didn't realize that the whole process of inside tools was making them basically an emergency backup.  I just didn't like opening the tool up to dig out an implement them closing to use it, lather rinse repeat.   The outside tools on the Spirit are user friendly.  It basically made my tool bag pointless. 
The OG Wave had a great set of tools, it just wasn't user friendly for me.  Clearly designed for a blade first application.  Spirit is a real tradesman tool IMO. 
Also, I have no need for OHO blades.  My work has a stringent safety policy so I'm always wearing gloves.  Speed of opening a blade is absolutely not a factor.  Not having to make multiple handle flips to use a tool makes the outside access far superior for my use.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:12:33 AM by BASguy »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 06:45:28 AM
You deploy the tools while wearing gloves?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:31 AM

i would imagine you would have to remove gloves to deploy tools,great thread  :salute:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 08:46:58 AM

i would imagine you would have to remove gloves to deploy tools,great thread  :salute:

I agree it is a great thread but I have bad news.

In an effort to keep me from having to buy a Spirit it has been decided this thread must be deleted. So Grant of Enki if you could get on that for me.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:50 AM

In an effort to keep me from having to buy a Spirit it has been decided this thread must be deleted. So Grant of Enki if you could get on that for me.

Your out of luck there Harls, Spirits are viral. Just ask Zed and TaxiDad
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:19 AM

:facepalm:

So there is only a Spirit and a Spirit X correct? The only difference being serrated butter knife or regular PE blade?

Is there a BO version of these tools also?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 10:01:38 AM
It's a bit confusing...

AFAIK, there are the following:
Spirit, with butter blade + scissors (AKA Spirit III in Europe)
Spirit X with spear point blade + scissors (AKA Spirit II in EU)
Spirit S with spear point + butter blade, no scissors (AKA Spirit I)
Then there are Plus versions, both based on the Spirit (or Spirit III), known as Spirit Plus I (with bit driver) and Spirit Plus II (with ratchet)
And then there are the BO versions - BO X with cap crimper and a BO S
Finally there's the RT version - basically a Spirit X with DLC coated handles and stainless tools.

Lots to collect. :pok:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:23 AM
My Spirit has become my go-to tool for most things too.  Normally my BO X CC because I like the marks BO tools pick up when they start to get knocked about.  I slipped with a grinding wheel on my Dremel at the weekend when cutting some rivets at the weekend and put a big scratch down the side of the pliers. :tu:

It's got a great selection of outside opening tools in a compact package that really feels like it'll take a beating.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:44 AM
The more I use mine the more impressed I am with it. Used it over the weekend to install a night latch at work and the drivers are so easy to use and I don't feel I have to be delicate with it.

Great pics  BTW.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 10:38:27 AM
After years of trying out pretty much most mt's i have to say that the spirit has impressed me a lot,when i did my maintenance job i tested many mt's out,including the og wave,new wave, st300,surge,pulse,pst,old st,sidekick,sogs ppp,paratool,and pp,oh and the swisstool,i liked most of these mt's for hardwork but the surge was my favourite, i liked all the extra parts,but i did tend too carry too much on my belt,these days i prefer a dedicated mt with everything on it with no add ons,so the spirit seems too fit the bill,plus its butter blade is more people friendly, ive also got use to vics smooth operation,another point with the swisstool vs swisstool spirit is the size, the spirit is a compact package that reminds me more of the pst and sogs ppp,win win  :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:20 AM
After years of trying out pretty much most mt's i have to say that the spirit has impressed me a lot,when i did my maintenance job i tested many mt's out,including the og wave,new wave, st300,surge,pulse,pst,old st,sidekick,sogs ppp,paratool,and pp,oh and the swisstool,i liked most of these mt's for hardwork but the surge was my favourite, i liked all the extra parts,but i did tend too carry too much on my belt,these days i prefer a dedicated mt with everything on it with no add ons,so the spirit seems too fit the bill,plus its butter blade is more people friendly, ive also got use to vics smooth operation,another point with the swisstool vs swisstool spirit is the size, the spirit is a compact package that reminds me more of the pst and sogs ppp,win win  :salute:

I don't see any Gerber MTs getting a mention.  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 10:45:45 AM

I don't see any Gerber MTs getting a mention.  :D

oh yeah mp800  :D had a mp600 but was after the job ended so didnt get to work test it  :-\

us Offline BASguy

Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 04:03:54 PM

Yes, the cut resistant gloves are actually quite dexterious.  It's actually no problem to open any of the tools with these types of thin lightweight tools.  They flex enough that your nail can grab the nail nicks through them.  I keep my nails very short, because they are weak and break easily, so that's another big plus for the Victorinox engineering.  I could never open Leatherman tools with gloves on.....  Honestly, deploying any tool but the blade would not be a safety issue, but it's a convenience thing.  I never have to take gloves on/off to deploy tools.  Couple this with not messing around opening/deployingtools/closing handles and it's just a far more convenient tool to use.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:52:06 PM by BASguy »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 04:09:55 PM

:facepalm:

So there is only a Spirit and a Spirit X correct? The only difference being serrated butter knife or regular PE blade?

Is there a BO version of these tools also?

I really like the butter knife.  It's perfect for work stuff.  I carry a Pioneer for regular blade duty.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 04:48:02 PM
It's a bit confusing...

AFAIK, there are the following:
Spirit, with butter blade + scissors (AKA Spirit III in Europe)
Spirit X with spear point blade + scissors (AKA Spirit II in EU)
Spirit S with spear point + butter blade, no scissors (AKA Spirit I)
Then there are Plus versions, both based on the Spirit (or Spirit III), known as Spirit Plus I (with bit driver) and Spirit Plus II (with ratchet)
And then there are the BO versions - BO X with cap crimper and a BO S
Finally there's the RT version - basically a Spirit X with DLC coated handles and stainless tools.

Lots to collect. :pok:

The RT is still being made? Very cool looking tool.

"Lots to collect. :pok:"

:twak:

Offline Jibs182

Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
I originally bought a Spirit but thought I wanted something more robust.  I bought a SwissTool. The tools on the ST were kind of a disappointment, so I went back to the Spirit and now really enjoy it.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:42 AM

I originally bought a Spirit but thought I wanted something more robust.  I bought a SwissTool. The tools on the ST were kind of a disappointment, so I went back to the Spirit and now really enjoy it.
I'm not sure I've heard someone say they didn't like the tools on a SwissTool...

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 12:29:04 AM
Lots of work for Vic the last couple of days, but I was in a research facility where no pictures are allowed...... bummer

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:30:14 AM by BASguy »

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 03:13:09 AM
Here are some pics from earlier in the week (I believe)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:22:55 AM by BASguy »

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:25 AM
Wire bender meets wire stripper

us Offline BASguy

The Spirit at work....
Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:59 AM
On board wire stripper/scraper is acceptable in a pinch for heavier gauge wire.  The chisel is pretty handy.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 03:27:39 AM
The stripper notches built into the hard wire cutter actually see a lot action if I don't have my meter bag handy (that's where I carry the wire strippers,  CT34, etc)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD