Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bad Swisstool Spirit?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bad Swisstool Spirit?
Reply #150 on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:31 AM
Since long time ago, I always bring SAK everyday. And only in the last three years I began to combine plier based MT with my SAK. I use Wave as my first plier based MT. But because it's not comfortable in the hand (lots of sharp edges when used in a closed mode) finally I sell it and I switched to Charge TTI. This model is much more comfortable in the hand, but it's still pinching my palms when I use the pliers.

Soon I also bought a Spirit, so I had a chance to compare the two in the same time. Until eventually about a few days ago I had to sell one of them, I chose to sell the Charge TTI, because the Spirit in my opinion is more suitable for my needs, I think this misalignment does not affect the function from the Spirit. Lucky me, I got the Spirit with only little misalignment.

In my observations from some store, The Spirit with noticeable misalignment is the Spirit with the Vic Shield logo located above the Victorinox.

I've also noticed this, I bought my three "butterblade" Spirits at the army surplus store that I've mentioned before, and they had been there for quite some time apparently, and nobody wanted to buy them.  Here in Belgium, everybody knows a Leatherman, but nobody knows the plier based tools from Victorinox, and when I show them one of mine, they still call it a Leatherman ::).

A bit off-topic but the same goes here in the Netherlands, i think at has to do with bad marketing from victorinox and not enough marketing from victorinox.
I also think that the availability has room for improvement, the most well know knives and multitools retailer in the Netherlands doesn't offer all the different models and black oxide versions. I also think Victorinox should only focus on a couple of models. I guess that the average person has the most utility from the X version. Make a lot of them and make them cheaper.

Wave price is 99 retail, think that victorinox should try be at that price or maybe make it 89. It is now 109 which isnt that bad. But i guess that 99 and 109 is some magical barrier :think:

In total they have 29 Spirit reviews and 544 wave reviews. Where did it go bad?? I guess mainly on an array of marketing faults.
Not advertised enough, not available in all the stores that also sell leatherman's, and when they are in the stores they are too expensive compared to leatherman tools. They also have too many models and versions. If i search Spirit on the retailers website i get nine pictures of the same spirit in the plier position. How will a unexperienced buyer ever make a decission which one to choose, the only difference is the price from 109 all the way to 179 for the plus model.

So victorinox if you are reading this, stay with the X models (sorry guys that love the butter blade :-[ ) and try to retail it for the price that the Rebar / wave retails for. The quality will make it a best seller.

I do understand that this is hard to do because it will probably cost more to make a spirit than to make a wave because of the higher fit and finish and polished finish. But looking at their SAK's they are the master in producing high quality for low prices :D

Here in Belgium, a bit to the south of the Netherlands, the Wave retails at 149,95 Euro, and the Spirit (if you manage to find one) goes for around 100 Euro (the official price on the one I bought was 94 Euro, but that was a couple of years ago, back when the Wave would only cost you 139,95 Euro  ::)).

So the Spirit is about 1/3 cheaper than the Wave, and still nobody wants it ... I blame bad marketing from Victorinox, and the fact that they are very (VERY !!! ) hard to find, SAK's everywhere, but a Spirit or a Swisstool ... nope  :rant:.

So it is not the pricing that stops the Swisstools from being best sellers, that clarifies that their marketing is bad. My boss also calls my Swisstool X a leatherman.
But when i had an Juice S2 he called it an Swiss army knife :facepalm:

I agree that it is probably mainly because they are hard to find. My local outdoor store has a leatherman Wave, sidekick and wingman. They also have a couple of sak's but no Swisstools.

You can't sell your product and establish a name if you cant bring your tool to the average man.

We can't blame the tool for it thats for sure :D

Eigenlijk is dit best grappig, een Belg en een Nederlander die in het Engels op een internationaal forum aan het praten zijn over multitools die gemaakt worden in de Verenigde Staten en Zwitserland ...  :D

:cheers:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #151 on: February 16, 2016, 01:13:14 PM
Since long time ago, I always bring SAK everyday. And only in the last three years I began to combine plier based MT with my SAK. I use Wave as my first plier based MT. But because it's not comfortable in the hand (lots of sharp edges when used in a closed mode) finally I sell it and I switched to Charge TTI. This model is much more comfortable in the hand, but it's still pinching my palms when I use the pliers.

Soon I also bought a Spirit, so I had a chance to compare the two in the same time. Until eventually about a few days ago I had to sell one of them, I chose to sell the Charge TTI, because the Spirit in my opinion is more suitable for my needs, I think this misalignment does not affect the function from the Spirit. Lucky me, I got the Spirit with only little misalignment.

In my observations from some store, The Spirit with noticeable misalignment is the Spirit with the Vic Shield logo located above the Victorinox.

I've also noticed this, I bought my three "butterblade" Spirits at the army surplus store that I've mentioned before, and they had been there for quite some time apparently, and nobody wanted to buy them.  Here in Belgium, everybody knows a Leatherman, but nobody knows the plier based tools from Victorinox, and when I show them one of mine, they still call it a Leatherman ::).

A bit off-topic but the same goes here in the Netherlands, i think at has to do with bad marketing from victorinox and not enough marketing from victorinox.
I also think that the availability has room for improvement, the most well know knives and multitools retailer in the Netherlands doesn't offer all the different models and black oxide versions. I also think Victorinox should only focus on a couple of models. I guess that the average person has the most utility from the X version. Make a lot of them and make them cheaper.

Wave price is 99 retail, think that victorinox should try be at that price or maybe make it 89. It is now 109 which isnt that bad. But i guess that 99 and 109 is some magical barrier :think:

In total they have 29 Spirit reviews and 544 wave reviews. Where did it go bad?? I guess mainly on an array of marketing faults.
Not advertised enough, not available in all the stores that also sell leatherman's, and when they are in the stores they are too expensive compared to leatherman tools. They also have too many models and versions. If i search Spirit on the retailers website i get nine pictures of the same spirit in the plier position. How will a unexperienced buyer ever make a decission which one to choose, the only difference is the price from 109 all the way to 179 for the plus model.

So victorinox if you are reading this, stay with the X models (sorry guys that love the butter blade :-[ ) and try to retail it for the price that the Rebar / wave retails for. The quality will make it a best seller.

I do understand that this is hard to do because it will probably cost more to make a spirit than to make a wave because of the higher fit and finish and polished finish. But looking at their SAK's they are the master in producing high quality for low prices :D

Here in Belgium, a bit to the south of the Netherlands, the Wave retails at 149,95 Euro, and the Spirit (if you manage to find one) goes for around 100 Euro (the official price on the one I bought was 94 Euro, but that was a couple of years ago, back when the Wave would only cost you 139,95 Euro  ::)).

So the Spirit is about 1/3 cheaper than the Wave, and still nobody wants it ... I blame bad marketing from Victorinox, and the fact that they are very (VERY !!! ) hard to find, SAK's everywhere, but a Spirit or a Swisstool ... nope  :rant:.

So it is not the pricing that stops the Swisstools from being best sellers, that clarifies that their marketing is bad. My boss also calls my Swisstool X a leatherman.
But when i had an Juice S2 he called it an Swiss army knife :facepalm:

I agree that it is probably mainly because they are hard to find. My local outdoor store has a leatherman Wave, sidekick and wingman. They also have a couple of sak's but no Swisstools.

You can't sell your product and establish a name if you cant bring your tool to the average man.

We can't blame the tool for it thats for sure :D

Eigenlijk is dit best grappig, een Belg en een Nederlander die in het Engels op een internationaal forum aan het praten zijn over multitools die gemaakt worden in de Verenigde Staten en Zwitserland ...  :D

:cheers:

Ja klopt hahaha, internet verbind de wereld met elkaar. Dit had je 20 jaar geleden niet mee gemaakt. :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #152 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:21 PM
+1
Just found this beautiful specimen, alignment is nearly 100%.

IMG_1879.JPG
* IMG_1879.JPG (Filesize: 414.74 KB)
IMG_1880.JPG
* IMG_1880.JPG (Filesize: 213.67 KB)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:46:12 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #153 on: June 27, 2016, 10:17:36 PM
Mine is a Bad Spirit...just because it bit me!  :oops:

and with a ridiculous, pointless butter knife blade

Still love it, though. Mine is perfect, and has no alignment issues at all.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #154 on: June 28, 2016, 12:58:19 AM
Six pages about something that has nothing to do with function and Not noticed by 90 percent of people.

Only on MTO.

Of course now I am wondering if and by how much mine will be off. Thanks a lot guys.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #155 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:37 AM
It's still an anomaly. My Spirit lays flat.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #156 on: June 28, 2016, 11:46:41 AM
Mine is a Bad Spirit...just because it bit me!  :oops:

(Image removed from quote.)

and with a ridiculous, pointless butter knife blade

Still love it, though. Mine is perfect, and has no alignment issues at all.

Just a love bite...  :)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #157 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:48 AM
Six pages about something that has nothing to do with function and Not noticed by 90 percent of people.

Only on MTO.

Of course now I am wondering if and by how much mine will be off. Thanks a lot guys.

And that's why we love MTO so smurfing much...  :tu: :D :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #158 on: June 28, 2016, 01:51:52 PM
Thet's MTO...and that's the Spirit.

No, wait: THAT's the Spirit!

aha, another Spirit   :D

Yup, I got another one, it's such a nice tool so, why not?

Best and only double in my MT collection, it is so worth it.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%