Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surefire E2L first impressions

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Surefire E2L first impressions
on: July 23, 2008, 03:00:11 AM
No new info here really, everyone knows Surefire lights are the top of the heap (or very close) when it comes to flashlights. 

Just some personal thoughts on the E2L I got this afternoon;

-Solid and clean looking light, well machined and anodized.
-Solid clickie...I hate soft clickies.
-I really like the two powers (3 lumen and 60 lumen) and they are quick and easy easy to choose.
-Great grip even with the pocket clip.  I'm glad I didn't get the smaller E1L.
-I'm impressed by the throw it has, I wasn't expecting it to be that good.  I went outside and lit up the treetops and whatnot, this will make a great outdoors light.  Probably why they called it the "Outdoorsman".

Dislikes:
-I wish there was a way to remove the pocket clip (...is there a way?  I really didn't look yet), or at least have a bezel down option and have most of the light in your pocket.  No real comfortable way to carry a light this size in a pocket regardless though.

-I wish there was a lanyard attachment near the tail.

I'd like to get a nice slim sheath for it...how are the Surefire nylon sheaths?   

Props to Batteryjunction.com for the fast (free*)shipping...and free batteries...and free fauxton :D I'll order with them again.

*I think it's on orders over $50 or something..still, a nice gesture.

[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Surefire E2L first impressions
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:04:22 AM
That was fast, consider you just started looking 2 days ago.

You can remove the clip. Remove the head, loop a rope through the clip and yank. There's a plastic spacer that will also come off so careful where it flies to. I thought it has a lanyard ring near the tail?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:59 AM
I've been pondering an E2L for early morning hunting trips. How big is it exactly? Any way you could post a picture of it alongside a Mini-Mag? (which is what I use now) :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:06 AM

You can remove the clip. Remove the head, loop a rope through the clip and yank. There's a plastic spacer that will also come off so careful where it flies to. I thought it has a lanyard ring near the tail?

Thanks for that info, I might take it off if I get a sheath.  The lanyard attachment is actually incorporated into the clip...it's a raised area where you can attach a split ring.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:22:56 AM
I've been pondering an E2L for early morning hunting trips. How big is it exactly? Any way you could post a picture of it alongside a Mini-Mag? (which is what I use now) :(

No camera at the moment, but if you unscrew the tailcap off of a Mini Mag, you basically have the length and width of the E2L.  The head on the Surefire is a little more fat than the Mag.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:44:40 AM

Thanks for that info, I might take it off if I get a sheath.  The lanyard attachment is actually incorporated into the clip...it's a raised area where you can attach a split ring.

Okay I took a look at SF website and E2L doesn't have the ring I was thinking of. Here's their pic of L1 to show what I'm talking about:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/L1_large2.jpg

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:15:20 AM
Congratulations on your E2L. I really like the TIR optic that Surefire uses with these lights makes for really good throw. I agree with you on the user interface for choosing levels. It's one of my favorite things. No turning the head for high and low.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:55:51 AM by prime77 »
"

Offline Hoghead

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:14:49 AM
a bezel down option and have most of the light in your pocket. 

-I wish there was a lanyard attachment near the tail.

Bezel down pocket clip would be the Surefire E1B. The pocket clip on the E1B works both ways, so that you can carry bezel down (which puts most of the light is inside your pocket)and still clip to a ball cap for use as a headlamp.

Lanyard attachment near the tail would be Surefire L1, L2 or A2.

Offline Mike D

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:26 AM
J-sews,

Here is a quick side by side comparison for ya.

I put an E1b clip on my E2l. Its fits on there great but its a little on the short side since the E1B is so much smaller.  It does allow bezel down pocket carry though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:30:16 AM
Ahh good, thanks Mike.  I hadn't realized it was shorter than a mini maglite. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:49:29 AM
So is Mr. bob going to get some new toys?  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 02:55:15 AM
I'm NOT going to start collecting flashlights if that's what you mean! Good lord I've already remortaged my house in order to sustain my multitool collection. :P :D

But I would like to get one good superlight for finding my deer hunting stand in the woods before daylight. I use a minimag now, but I've been thinking about an E2L. :-\

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:00 AM
I'm NOT going to start collecting flashlights if that's what you mean! Good lord I've already remortaged my house in order to sustain my multitool collection. :P :D

But I would like to get one good superlight for finding my deer hunting stand in the woods before daylight. I use a minimag now, but I've been thinking about an E2L. :-\

The E2L is great outside...I've been using it a lot, well worth the $120 I paid; it will last a lifetime. 
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:56 AM
The thing I don't like about E2L (or most other SF with glued head) is that when the emitter undergoing some leap in technology, you need to spend $100 for a new light, instead of $10 for a new emitter.  >:(

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:01 AM
I was on the fence about getting another E2L but Corrugated posts made me want the newer two stage one. I just got the KX2 head in black and put it on my E2D Defender. I'm glad I did. Output is very close to my E1B despite the 20 lumen difference and you still have really good runtime.

And for Bob here is a quick comparison between the E2L and a Minimag  :pok:

AAx2 MiniMag

E2L Two Stage High
"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:45 AM
Yes bob, you have ten more days before the price goes up, better move it.  :pok: :pok: :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%