Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your EDC for clubbing (at night)???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
What is your EDC for clubbing (at night)???
on: June 21, 2015, 03:53:16 PM
Hello!

If you go party at night, what EDC tools do you carry???
Do you consider a lighter or less powerful EDC???

In my country law forbide us to take knives to public amusement places, more even at night.
And in yours??

Thank you

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: What is your EDC for clubbing (at night)???
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:59:30 PM
I could carry any MT I wanted anywhere ... Except onto airplanes.  ::)

HOWEVER... I'd rather be without an MT than go to a club. The number of ways that clubs suck are beyond counting. Drinks absurdly expensive. Too loud to have meaningful conversation. Full of shallow, looks-focused people. Often, smoking is allowed. Music sucks. Music REALLY sucks. All the guys seem to be ego driven frat bros. All the girls seem to be brainless (blank)-buckets.

Not that I have an opinion or anything.

If you mean bars in general... well, pretty much everything still applies.

I went to a concert in a small venue recently that was sort-of bar-like. I didn't want to carry a bag, so I just had a Rambler in my pocket.

EDIT: Oh... crap. the Smurf filter didn't catch my naughty language. Sorry. Had to self-edit, there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:01:29 PM by Lynn LeFey »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:15 PM
Carrying knives in public places without some "good reason" is illegal in Norway, so carrying a knife would usually just be getting yourself into extra trouble if you end up mixed into something where the police are involved. I pretty much always EDC a SAK, including when going to the local pub, though. I'm a boring, middle-aged fart, so clubbing to me is something which involves blunt weapons rather than dancing people. :) If clubbing was an activity to me, I'd probably avoid a knife or stick to a 58 mm or something.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:35:54 PM
I refer to bars, concerts, restaurants for dinner, public spaces at night, not only clubs or discos  :whistle:

Thank you guys!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:44:21 PM

HOWEVER... I'd rather be without an MT than go to a club. The number of ways that clubs suck are beyond counting. Drinks absurdly expensive. Too loud to have meaningful conversation. Full of shallow, looks-focused people. Often, smoking is allowed. Music sucks. Music REALLY sucks. All the guys seem to be ego driven frat bros. All the girls seem to be brainless (blank)-buckets.

I went to a concert in a small venue recently that was sort-of bar-like. I didn't want to carry a bag, so I just had a Rambler in my pocket.

EDIT: Oh... crap. the Smurf filter didn't catch my naughty language. Sorry. Had to self-edit, there.

:think: Are you sure we're not related?  :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 11:58:43 PM
I refer to bars, concerts, restaurants for dinner, public spaces at night, not only clubs or discos  :whistle:

Thank you guys!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh. That. :D

Well, i went to the symphony carrying my regular EDC, at the time that was a Super Tinker and IDL T10.

I don't change what I carry much. Either I carry it or I don't. I try to aim for the most generally useful stuff on me, so I don't HAVE to think about where I'm going.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:14:56 AM

:think: Are you sure we're not related?  :think:

Wow, I am so glad I'm still hopelessly in love with my ex wife! All the pining away, tears and alcohol keeps me away from those awful places...    :cheers:  I am soooo lucky!  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline tommywp

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:17:47 AM
When going to bars, etc it becomes all about the flashlight for me. And a  Preon 2 clipped to a slit cut inside a front pocket is pretty much perfect for this sort of duty. If there is not security/frisk then I'll throw a Pioner in the back pocket.

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:40:02 AM
I guess I fall into the category of people who still do go to clubs (although Lynn pretty much summed up my thoughts), I generally try to frequent rock clubs and biker bars. At those places the Farmer in my pocket was no big deal, even after the security frisked me. Just said I was working on sth earlier and forgot it. Considering that I'm outside of the "danger age" and almost twice as old as the youngest people there (still half the age of the oldest ones there), even something like a smaller plier based MT would be fine.

When it comes to the more mainstream places, I try to leave everything behind. The security isn't that strict but they are douchebaggy and tend to keep any neat "potentially dangerous" items. So even a fancy lighter can get confiscated. Realistically I'd go with a smaller flashlight and a Vic Classic on my keys to avoid that jackassery.
The pat downs tend to have a pattern though. If I'm with mostly male company than it's a smurf storm brewing. If I'm in mostly female company (especially if young and good looking) than it's a non issue. Hell I've managed to get in a club with my Vic hunter, Spirit X and a 12" crescent wrench in my backpack just because my friend had a deeper cleavage.

Outside of the club security, there is the police issue. While locally they can claim anything is a weapon, I'd simply rather not have to explain why I have such a menacing weapon on me while someone's kid gets a free pass even with a gun and coke on him. Again this actually happened
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:25 AM
My Fenix E05 attached to a Classic and a spare BIC is about all I carry when out on the town, not that I'm out much anymore with a mortgage and a small child.
darren

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:02:57 PM
My EDC is always street legal. If I happen to be in a place where it's not, I simply act normally and say "I didn't know this wasn't allowed here, I'll take it out" and just leave it in my car or something.

Never had a problem, I believe it's all about your attitude. If you don't look threatening or dangerous, people won't be scared or worried about you and what you are carrying.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 01:44:35 PM
Having worked the door at many clubs, I can honestly say that I never allowed so much as a Classic into a downtown club, having witnessed first hand how much damage even a super small blade can make on a dance floor.  Of course it's a moot point really, as a broken beer bottle or keys can also make a real mess, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get rid of those either or I would have.

When I worked in neighborhood bars I was a lot more forgiving, provided we didn't have an event of some sort.  I remember one night some bikers came in- they were just stopping in to get a drink as they were passing through town.  A couple had large fixed blades on their belts and while I made a mental note they were there, I never bothered them one bit.  The bar owner wanted me to throw them out, or at least ask them to remove the knives and I refused, telling her that if we didn't push them, the knives were not an issue.  Besides, I also knew that if I made them get rid of the knives (as if I could  ::) ) then I'd be up against some concealed things they most likely had on them, and I really didn't want to go there.  Luckily the bar owner was smart enough to believe what I told her, and I ended up having a nice chat with the bikers through the evening, they tipped the bartender well, and mentioned to me on their way out that they appreciated that we were all nice to them and didn't hassle them about stuff. 

For the most part, if you are going somewhere laid back then you should be ok.  If you are going to a club with loud thumping bass and mindless people dressed to impress but left their personalities on the doorstep, then yes, you have to take anything potentially dangerous from people.  I'd even refuse access if a flashlight had a tactical impact type tip on it.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd really hate to get stabbed.  Again.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 02:21:52 PM
I reckon a lead pencil would do more damage than a Vic Classic if your wanting to stab somebody. Can you stop somebody from carrying a pencil? :pok:
darren

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 02:27:12 PM
I don't tend to go many places where you have to leave your brain at the door, and I also like a seat and a conversation with my pint. If it's somewhere that you also need frisking to get in, then they're expecting trouble so I don't want to go in anyway. I'm allergic to dancing, intolerant of idiots, and have no intention of pulling women who have more STDs than braincells. I'll pass  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 05:20:37 PM
I've never had the time nor the patience to deal with most of the idiots that like to go "clubbing".  I'll go to a good, quieter bar, but prefer a pub, or the bar section of a restaurant.  If I had to go to a club, I would not carry anything with me.  A quiet bar, I'd take a SAK, or MT, or both.  A regular restaurant, I'd carry anything I would just being out and about.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%