Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Consensus, Spirit better than Swisstool

Offline ford1911

on: March 07, 2015, 03:03:43 AM
Is the Consesus that the Spirit is better?
Just got in my new Swisstool and Spirit, along with a Wave.
Other than being perhaps a little more heavy duty I don't see a ton of advantages. Am I missing something?

The things I like about the Spirit are it seems like you are less likely to pinch your hand when ususing the pliers.
It is smaller and lighter...duh
The tools are easier to get out. The Swisstool has a couple nail breakers on it. Atleast mine does. The design of the Spirit allows easier access to the tools.

Not trying to bash the Swisstool, not at all. I like it. Just seems the Spirit has a few advantages over it.

I went with the Spirit that has the serrated blade. I thought it would give me a little more utility and plan to carry a CT 29 with it. Anyone else use this combo or can you recommend another good EDC SAK with your Swisstool/Spirit?

side note. I got a Wave as well. It is really great MT as well. I am very pleased with it. I had only owned one leatherman before, a Juice and it seemed very cheaply made. The Wave seems of better quality. Not quite as quality as a Vic though.  :climber:

us Offline BASguy

Re: Consensus, Spirit better than Swisstool
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:07:06 AM
I also carry the Spirit with a butter blade.  I get excellent utility out of it, works better for me than a straight blade would on a MultiTool.  I pocket dangle a Pioneer for general cutting tasks.  It's a good combo for me.
SwissTool is excellent for heavy weight work, but I find the Spirit is a better all around functional choice. 
The Wave is a good tool, just not on par with the Spirit for hard daily use IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:04:48 PM
I would agree that the Spirit is better overall.  I recently got a Swisstool and have been hooked on it since, but partially that's the newness factor.  It's too bulky/heavy for me as I don't sheath carry and am not a heavy duty user.  However, I love the looks of the Swisstool and don't have trouble accessing the tools.  Maybe yours is a bit tighter?  Still, the Spirit's are designed for easier access.  It's nearly 3oz lighter, which is a big plus to me. 

I too have the serrated version, and it's the best version for pairing with a SAK or folder for the plain blade.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
I've only tries the Spirit and it's good enough for me. Money shot;

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:32:09 PM
IMO comparing the Swisstool and Spirit is like comparing a Surge to a Wave or a Fieldmaster to an Artisan. Most of the time the smaller tool is just as capable and is lighter in the pocket/pouch/bag. But sometimes size DOES matter and only the big boy will get the job done.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:14:56 AM
The chronology of these two tools is important.The original Swisstool was introduced in 1997.The Spirit is an evolution of the original and was introduced approximately seven years later.

One may or may be not be a better tool but one fact is certain,they are different tools in many ways and that is something for which I'm thankful.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 02:41:32 AM
Like the gentleman before me stated there 2 different tools.

both were designed at different times to fill a need .

I like working with a spirit but a swisstool is probably a better fit for heavy duty work.

The spirit is a friendlier tool to use imo.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:47:16 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 02:58:34 AM
I should clarify that part of the reason I may be able to access the Swisstool's tools easier than some other people is that I have smaller fingers.  I can see how someone with larger ones would have a harder time getting at those nail nicks.

K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:46:53 AM
I should clarify that part of the reason I may be able to access the Swisstool's tools easier than some other people is that I have smaller fingers.  I can see how someone with larger ones would have a harder time getting at those nail nicks.

Is life harder for you?

Being a midget and everything.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 06:50:04 AM

Is life harder for you?

Being a midget and everything.
Hey I ain't that short!  Does come with some challenges though >:(

K-Tibbs

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:58:39 AM
The chronology of these two tools is important.The original Swisstool was introduced in 1997.The Spirit is an evolution of the original and was introduced approximately seven years later.

One may or may be not be a better tool but one fact is certain,they are different tools in many ways and that is something for which I'm thankful.

This - they're both great and extremely useful in their own way.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:30 AM

This - they're both great and extremely useful in their own way.

:tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:45:46 AM
I feel most think the Spirit is "better" but as we've seen and heard so many times "better" is relative. 

I prefer the Swisstool to the Spirit and while the newer plier head design is supposed to be "better" I use a 98 version. 

I have been hearing a lot lately about ergonomics  :think:.  What am I missing?  Pliers in general have gone unchanged for some time and I've never once heard complaints.  Am I to believe since most of the ergonomic talk is regarding MTs then it's isolated?

Both tools are great and either would be a terrific to when the need arose. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:41 PM
I think the ergonomic issue is more prevalent for those of us with smaller hands.  It is a slight issue for me as the Swisstool is large and the handles splay quite a ways.  I know 50ft-trad did a thread about this a little while back. 

Yet I still am carrying it for the most part.....

K-Tibbs

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 02:29:36 PM
Once Zed has stopped fondling his new Spirit I'm sure he'll be wading in.

I haven't even seen a Swisstool in person, but it's hard to imagine anything more useful than a Spirit.

I've just used the metal saw to cut a hole in an aluminium pushplate for the gate at work, the awl to start the screw holes on the gate and (as it's FatSAK month) I used the in-line philips on my Monwoody to fix the plate to the gate, but I could have also used the Spirit for that.

Brilliant MT  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:24 PM
Swisstool hands downs if I was forced to use them again. Like the fact it had a serrated blade and plain edge blade.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:08 PM
I have quite large hands, but didn't get on with the swisstool. it's sharp corners are not good in 'knife mode' and awful in 'plier mode' + the hand slips toward the plier head if you're gripping anything in the jaws.
sold it, to of all people, the Kirkmonster! then his Kirkiness let me fondle his spirit and I just had to have one ! and I truly love it !!!
I'd prefer the scissors of the swisstool, the spirit scissors ''work''well enough, never let me down tbh, but what were the lovely folk at Victorinox thinking ?  :think: :dwts:
and the bigger blade is nice. but the spirit is the better tool 100%
it's like comparing a pickup truck and sports car (a sports car with lots of carrying capacity !!!)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 06:25:57 PM
For me the spirit would be perfect except for one thing. What on earth were they thinking of when they designed the scissors?  :-[
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:29 PM
For my needs the Spirit is better. It has the same tools, but some are updated, like the hook on the awl and the chisel. It is smaller, lighter, more ergonomic, thanks to the unique handle shape. It looks better too, less boxy. It is slim enough to fit in the pocket or a Skinth, much better than a Wave or Charge actually.
On the other hand something stops me fromselling my Swisstool. I like the way it aligns its handles to make a nice ruler and the 90 degrees angle it forms.
If I would carry one big and one small it would be the Surge over the Wave/Charge (with the hook cutter on the serrated blade preferably) and the Spirit over the Swisstool.

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 08:27:01 PM
For my needs and EDC, yes the Spirit is better. However I for one would have liked if some implements were more like on the Swisstool
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:05 PM
Ive owned a swisstool, although great fiddle factor, its such a lump,now the spirit  :drool:  one of the best mt's in my humble opinion  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 09:06:08 PM
I am a fan of both, but the SwissTool more so for me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:47 PM
I agree also that they are different animals. I'll put it this way; Swisstool at home, Spirit outside. I can live with the funny pair of scissors on the Spirit despite willingly not owning any, my biggest complain is the wood saw. Both these issues occur from design limitations IMO.

The Swisstool has other disadvantages for me but I like it for what it is. Here's my Swisstool at home improment duty - remember this?

... ^^^ Sorry for this awful picture ^^^ ...

Here's how it looks now

I could even argue that Swisstool and Spirit can be complementary, to be paired with a couple of SAKs, one of which should preferably be of the alox variety, for maximum utility.

:facepalm:  :climber:

019.JPG
* 019.JPG (Filesize: 233.69 KB)
020.JPG
* 020.JPG (Filesize: 188.6 KB)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:55:58 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:23 PM
The ergonomics issue plays a big role when you are using tools all day long.  My days consist of constant typing on a laptop keyboard and mechanical tool usage....all day everyday.  Any factors to mitigate hand stress magnifies itself across the day and week.  The hand friendly design of the Spirit is highly noticeable vs using a less friendly tool such as a Wave, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 02:20:43 AM
I found the wave a tad better than Spirit. But not buy much. The Surge and Swisstool are way easier on my hands.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:23 AM
The Wave is about the least ergonomic grip design I can think of.  The OHO tools create a very uneven gripping surface with sharp edges to boot.....yikes.  At least in pliers mode, the Wave is better than non pliers mode by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:41:41 AM by BASguy »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:20 AM
No, there are worse......lol!
Wave didn't bother as much. Still, I like the Swisstool better than Spirit. I wanted to like the Swisstool and Spirit. Just no go. SAKs is where Vic shines to me.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 09:39:09 AM
The Spirit definitely feels like an evolutionary step from the SwissTool.  I like them both, but the reduced size and weight of the Spirit win for me.  If the only change to the Spirit was that it was 10% smaller than the SwissTool I'd use it, but the comfortable grip, easier to open tools, combined flat driver/pry bar, serrated blade and the robust scissors on the Spirit are all a bonus.

If there was a BO non-CC Spirit with serrated butter blade, scissors and a pocket clip I'd be over the moon.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:34 PM
Just a personal note from me - I prefer the SwissTool.  I own both and whilst theSpirit is a work of art I have the butterknife versson rather than the smooth blade (II?).

Whilst I cannot argue with the improved ergonomics on the Spirit's plier function I like the chucky squarenss of the old SwissTool  :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 02:57:42 PM
I'm the same way greenbear.  There's something about the looks of the Swisstool that I just like better.

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44