Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crescent Flip and Grip Wrench Multi Tool.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Crescent Flip and Grip Wrench Multi Tool.
on: March 24, 2015, 02:17:39 AM
I was in Home Depot this weekend and noticed this, forgive me if its been posted before. Finally, another wrench based multi tool option! A quality adjustable wrench based multi tool has long been my dream (Well, that and the Powercut, but that never went into production  :cry: ), and while this isn't exactly a traditional crescent wrench, I'm tempted to give it a shot. I EDC a Lil Guppie, so perhaps this might make a worthy companion. The only thing thats really off putting to me is the tanto blade, as I didn't realize that style was still poopular.

Heres a youtube video:
On the Home Depot website: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-Flip-and-Grip-Wrench-Multi-Tool-CFWMT/205642154

Also, does anyone find the screwdriver and bottle opener implements to be a bit Leatherman ala Wingman/Sidekick inspired?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

00 Offline av8r1

Re: Crescent Flip and Grip Wrench Multi Tool.
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:41 AM
Good thing Crescent isn't in college, or they'd get investigated for plagiarism.  The Phillips and can opener are so similar, I wonder if they didn't contract Leatherman to make them.  The wire stripper notch on the can opener is particularly Leatherman-like.

Some of the talking points are hilarious too.  "You can't do that with pliers without slipping."  We'll skip right past the part where this tool works entirely BY slipping and go straight to the thousands of bolts I've successfully turned with pliers.

"No multitool is complete without a knife."
Pocketwrench II, Leatherman Fuse, Leatherman Style PS...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:08:56 AM by av8r1 »
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:30 AM
For $20 I'd say it looks OK.  While I'm NOT a fan of using pliers on bolt heads, I will concede that it's possible.  These on the other had really do have only one function from the 'head' and some rather ropy looking screwdrivers.

As I say; might be worth a shot for $20, but rather too specialized to replace a pliers based MT.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:56:26 AM
It's a contract mash up. I have a similar tool front Lowe's with a mini utility knife on one end and the "clench" wrench on the other. Same construction too, just blue for lowes  It's probably front the same maker just mixing parts from other hardware store multitool products.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:58:55 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 04:49:57 AM
A couple other things just struck me.

The claw thing there can handle "3/8 to 5/8" bolt heads.  That's just five standard sizes.  A typical, everyday Crescent wrench will get way more jobs done.

Also, that ratcheting mechanism has six points(or, as many few points as there are flats on the fastener).  A good ratchet has lots of teeth so that you can successfully turn a bolt in a confined space.  This is the extreme opposite end of that scale.  It'll only work in places where you already have great access to the fastener.  In fact, if you can't rotate the fastener at least 1/6th turn at a whack, you can't turn it with this wrench.

Crescent would be better off sticking pop-out screwdrivers in the butt of their trademark wrench rather than messing with this thing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:52:41 AM by av8r1 »
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99