Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Core blimey Govner

Dunc · 49 · 6744

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Core blimey Govner
on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:54 PM
I've always been a fan of the original Leatherman Supertool and thanks to Def I have the chance to use and review Leathermans current large classic design multitool the Core. One thing that soon became clear was the Core is a no frills multitool , you wont find any fancy bit holders , changeable blades or one handed opening on this model, neither will you find any S30V or Titanium on it .

So what do you get for your hard earned money then?  Well first off it’s a big tool weighing in at 10.8oz / 307g and 4.5 inches / 11.5cm long by 13/16th inch / 21mm wide so it may not be for you if you have small hands or like pocket carry, it really needs to go on a belt or in a bag.

On with the features then and first up is the

PLIERS

They are one beefy set of pliers and certainly seem up to the job with good needle nose and a huge wire cutting area that quite frankly leaves the Victorinox Swisstool trailing behind .There is also a stranded wire cutter located behind the plier jaws and in front of the electrical crimper. One thing I noticed was the wire cutters bind slightly when closing the plier jaws , I don’t think this is a defect as there is no burr or dent on the edge , I just think its because its tight with Zero play . The upside being it can cut very thin wire and even paper.

Next is the handles.

This tool is about as big as you can go while still maintaining comfort and at 21mm wide it’s quite a handful. This is made bearable by the rounded edges and also the use of Zytel in the tool makes it very kind on the hands when using the screwdrivers etc. Perhaps SOG could do with using a little Zytel around their gears.

Lock Release

What can I say about these? I found them very easy to use and very positive feel to them and much better then previous locks found on large Leathermans.

Ruler

There is a ruler in inches and cm that reads upto 9inchs / 229mm. It works ok but due to the rounded edges of the handles it’s not as effective as the Swisstool when putting it up against something. Although it’s an awful lot better then say a Gerber 600.

Now lets have a look at what’s inside the handles and we’ll start with the

Screwdrivers

There are three flat head drivers to choose from, all of which are hollow ground. I don’t know how much difference the grind makes but I have used them a few times and can’t fault them.

Phillips Driver

I must say I was very impressed with this. Nice long reach and it didn’t slip either. I especially liked the thumb rest although of little significance when turning the tool to drive in a screw it comes into its own when starting a screw or tightening one.

Lanyard

There is a lanyard ring located inside the handle and is easy to access .

Can Opener / Cap Lifter

This worked fine when I tested it on some cans of tuna (for some reason I have a few spare). The thing with LM can openers is you pull them around the can rather then push like a Victorinox one and is just as effective. I enjoyed testing the cap lifter, maybe a little too much. This also worked fine but for some reason it wouldn’t open Becks beer bottles but this may be down to operator error due to all the other bottles I opened previously.

Awl

I found it a little too wide but it was usable with a nice sharp edge.

File

The metal saw worked very well as did both sides of the file but I thought the actual quality was lacking. First of all the tip looked like someone had used their teeth to cut it to size plus near the tang on one side the grooves were very faint.

Blades

I liked both the blades on the Core. They are nice and long with the Clip point plain edge blade being very slightly hollow ground .The serrated blade cut through rope with ease and although not blunt tipped it doesn’t curve upwards to a point so could be used for first aid / rescue .Both could be sharpened easily on a Spyderco Sharpmaker  with hair shaving results .

Wood Saw

No complaints here, can’t find fault with it at all.

Conclusion

Well what a pleasant surprise this turned out to be. This really is a very capable multitool. I would go as far to say this is the best Leatherman I have seen to date. All the old problems seem to have been sorted out .It has no frills or gimmicks just a good range of tools that’s packaged in a classic multitool design.
  Will it replace my Swisstool as EDC?    Sometimes. I really am that impressed. I will certainly be taking a closer look at the Fuse and Blast in the future.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Core blimey Govner
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:39:35 PM
nice review dude,i like tohose"in action"pics.

with surge u cant go wrong,i learned it some time ago but still i was a total clown,a stupid a-- jerk to sell it when i was broke.im gettin a new for sure.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:45:32 PM
Bloody fine review and picture's sir :salute:

I agree with you whole heartedly in saying it's the best of the LM range :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:16 PM
Thanks for the review Dunc and top pictures again  :cheers:

I know your living room wall is going to need a bit of TLC after the awl test but it was for a good cause :D

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:12:36 AM
Brilliant review Dunc.  :)  Guess I had better go get one one day then.

BTW, I thought it was just me that couldn't get into Becks bottles with the bottle opener.  I'm glad someone else has found this as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 01:18:14 AM
Wow - praise indeed from a sworn Vic loyalist!

Great review Dunc, and I have to say I agree with everything you say, good and bad. This would be my EDC but for the size. It is the first tool I reach for though when I'm doing anything around the house or garden. With the removable bit driver, I usually don't need anything else.

You mentioned the Fuse and Blast. They really are the "little brothers" to the Core, so I'm sure you would appreciate them too!

I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:16:24 AM
Thanks for the review, Dunc!  :cheers:

I was looking at a Core the other day, and t is a very rugged looking tool.

Another huge selling point for me is that the Core has the longest and straightest philips head of any mainstream multitool.

It's a real shame about the file though.

I'd also prefer outside-opening tools, though I am starting to get used to inside-opening after using my Kick for a while. It's not as big a deal as I had imagined...
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 03:50:16 AM
That's a hot review. I like the usage pictures!

Shame about the file, must be one of those Friday afternoon parts.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:59:34 AM
Excellent review, Dunc! It was well worth the wait!  :) I was just looking at my two Core's and my files aren't anything like the one on that Core... Anyways, I am glad you like the Core! It is IMO the best "working" multitool, everything works SO well! I still can't find any faults with mine...
B

Offline Hoghead

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 05:07:15 AM
Thanks for the great review, but I don't know what to think. First Leatherman123 starts using a Swisstool and now you're using a Core. My world is shaken and I'm left in a daze. :ahhh

It's reassuring to see brand loyal members have an open mind about multitools other than their favorites.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 05:12:49 AM
Well, the SURGE still reigns supreme in my book. But, I really do like the SwissTools! I really like the belt cutter on the RS. But, I prefer the Std...
B

Offline Hoghead

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:19:15 AM
Well, the SURGE still reigns supreme in my book. But, I really do like the SwissTools! I really like the belt cutter on the RS. But, I prefer the Std...

And the Standard is available in BO.  :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 05:19:45 AM
Rub it in! I am going to buy one real soon!
B

Offline Hoghead

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 05:32:46 AM
Rub it in! I am going to buy one real soon!

I'm just messing with you.  :D

I know what it's like to want them all. The way I see it we are both in the same boat.

Have you seen any BO Swisstools? They seem to have a nicer/smoother finish than BO Leatherman tools. I assume it's because the Swisstools are more highly polished before the BO is applied, but Victorinox might use a completely different process. I really don't know.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:39:48 AM
I used to have one. It had Land Rover on the handles... I think I may have to buy one when I get back from camping..
B

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 05:40:50 AM
Thanks for the great review, but I don't know what to think. First Leatherman123 starts using a Swisstool and now you're using a Core. My world is shaken and I'm left in a daze. :ahhh

It's reassuring to see brand loyal members have an open mind about multitools other than their favorites.
I am with you bro , what next Hawkchucker EDCing a Suspension  :ahhh :ahhh . Great review Dunc  :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Hoghead

Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:46:19 AM

I am with you bro , what next Hawkchucker EDCing a Suspension  :ahhh :ahhh . Great review Dunc  :cheers:

I don't think he would EDC that thing unless we paid him by the hour with Leatherman, Swisstool and SOG. Meaning he got a good multitool for every hour he had to live with the Suspension.  :D

Offline Hoghead

Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:23 AM
I used to have one. It had Land Rover on the handles... I think I may have to buy one when I get back from camping..

You know what I mean then.   8)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 08:54:08 AM
Excellent review, Dunc! It was well worth the wait!  :) I was just looking at my two Core's and my files aren't anything like the one on that Core... Anyways, I am glad you like the Core! It is IMO the best "working" multitool, everything works SO well! I still can't find any faults with mine...
My file look's the same, the finish is pretty poor :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: (No subject)
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:56:14 PM
Mike does yours have the faint grooves on one side near the tang as well ? Could be a hole batch like that , wha up the date on the inside of the handles on yours ? Mine is 0905                              dunc

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 02:01:42 PM
My file look's the same, the finish is pretty poor :(

but it doesnt affect any way the use of the file? :police:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 02:33:22 PM
My 0106 file has crisp serrations all the way down. However, the tip of the file looks the same as yours Dunc.

Mikko is right though, it doesn't affect the use any. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 07:37:12 PM
Every time I turn around it's Core this ..... Core that ..... my Core is soooo great ....... everyone should get a Core! LOL!!! Man, Maybe Leatherman123 will send me his since he's a SwissTool man now.  :D

Great review with nice action shots. I think this pretty much seals the deal for me getting one.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 08:11:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better Mike, I am still not a huge fan of the Core!  That's why I let mine go to Duncan!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 08:12:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better Mike, I am still not a huge fan of the Core!  That's why I let mine go to Duncan!

Def

What are you not keen on then Def?
I'm back!!

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 08:30:55 PM

Def

Def,

Any help talking me off this ledge would be greatly appreciated. I need another multi like I need another hole in my head (no comments now). So hearing the other side of all the Core's praises would be nice to see for some perspective.

Mike

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 08:36:56 PM
Core Review

I don't care for the lack of options on it really.  I'd much prefer to add something like scissors rather than three dedicated flat heads for example.  To me, the Core seems like the design was really ohoned in.  It's unimaginative, plain and not nearly as functional as it could be, or even should be given the size of it, and the other manufacturer's offerings in this class.  As much as I am not a fan of LM's flattened bit drivers, I'd appreciate seeing one of them on the Core, as well as the diamond file.  

I also have the pancake style nylon sheath which doesn't really help it much.  This type of design just wastes space, and when dealing with a gigantic tool like the Core, the sheath shouldn't be so awkward.  The Surge is a bigger, odder shaped tool, and yet it's sheath is somewhat more manageable.  Of course this is all dependent on which sheath you get, but I'd really like to see one of the old top grain leather square jobbies like the ones that came with the original SuperTools or PST.

Those are my big gripes with it, and honestly I don;t see any exceptional features to offset the negatives.  About the only thing the Core has going for it is the really long phillips, which I could get by getting a long shanked bit set at the local hardware store, and use with any tool that has a standard 1/4" bit adaptor.

Mike- the Core isn't a bad tool, it's just not one that I would go out of my way to get.  It is perfectly functional, and for the majority of users, it is more than acceptable.  It's just because I have such a large choice of tools that I can really nitpick like this.  Since you are in the same situation as me (although maybe not as bad as mine!) I'd suggest looking at more interesting tools in the meantime, and get a Core when/if you manage to locate a good deal on one. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 08:40:25 PM
Def,

Whew, I think you have successfully talked me off the ledge .... thank you. Guess the Core will just have to wait awhile.

Thanks,
Mike

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 08:43:55 PM
That having been said, the Blast is just about perfect if you like the concept of the Core! :P   :pok:

Def

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 09:51:41 PM
Def,

You are killing me here! Do the implements on the Blast lock? Maybe the Fuse eh? I keep getting the Kick confused with the Blast or was it the Fuse? Anyhow Blast (and Fuse) locks, Kick does not, there answered my own question. And then Benner answers it in the next post too. LOL!

Mike
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:03:27 PM by mike »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%