Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I think a bike is in my future. :)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
I think a bike is in my future. :)
on: August 06, 2016, 01:25:46 AM
Well after years of trying, I've finally convinced the wife that I should get a motorcycle! :D  I won't be able to get one this year, but I'd like to try and take the safety course this summer if possible. 

I've been looking at (online) all different kinds of bikes.  I've also been into a local bike shop a couple of times, and found what I fit well on.  I wanted a sport bike at first, but I don't really like the bent over riding position.  I then tried a couple of different smaller touring bikes, and they were quite comfortable to sit on.

But, I've decided on getting a dual sport.  I love the idea of having something else that I can take to the trails.  The bike I'm wanting to get is the Suzuki DR650.  It seemed to fit me the best out of all the different bikes I sat on.  It also looks like a dead simple bike to work on, and there seems to be good aftermarket support for it as well.

Anyone else here ride a dual sport?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: I think a bike is in my future. :)
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 02:00:15 AM
I'm not allowed to have a motorcycle while my mother is still alive. :(

Me - Hey mom, I saw a Honda motorcycle for sale at a great price!

Mom - NO! Those things are dangerous! Your uncle was almost killed on one!

Me - Damnit, well then I'm taking that money to the gun show this weekend and buying something nice.

Mom - No problem, as long as there's room in the safe. Oh, and see if you can get some 16ga trap loads, I'm going to the skeet range next week. 

:think:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:06:24 AM
 :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:19:04 AM
That reminds me of an Anthony Jeselnik joke.  He tells his mother he wants to buy a motorbike and she says no, her brother was killed in a motorcycle accident, and he can have his.

Seriously though, good for you Derek!  I will get a bike someday but probably not any time soon.  I'll get a big tourer probably, or maybe a Triumph.  It's got to be comfortable and while street bikes are fun to ride short distances I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:29:29 AM
Yeah, it's hard to beat a cruiser or touring bike for comfort!  Some of them are sooooo heavy though, which doesn't make for a good first bike, lol.

I've ridden one bike, but that was over 20 years ago.  It was an old (at the time) street and trail, but man, was it ever fun!!  The only problem I had was with the clutch.  It was either on or off, no in between.  Didn't make for the easiest starts.  :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 06:34:56 AM
May not be suitable for some.  Dmack it's totally suitable for your viewing pleasure so enjoy.

Show content
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:37:08 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 01:43:18 PM
A lighter motorcycle usually translates into a livelier ride down the highway, especially when the wind blows, or you are passing a transport. Me personally, I like a heavier motorcycle. My Triumph America was a much livelier ride compared to my V-Star Classic 1100. I was worried a few times that the Transport would suck me and the lighter Triumph into it on the highway a few times.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:44:49 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 03:27:37 PM
I've been riding dual-sports/ adventure bikes for the last 16 years, as a daily commuter and also to have some fun on the dirt whenever the mood takes me (some days even between home and the office!). So you can call me a fan... :salute:

I love the big single cylinders, and had a few over the years (Honda XR600R, KTM 640 Adv, BMW 650 XChallenge). I also had a big BMW R1200GS for a while. The big GS was excellent on the road, but just too big and heavy for my type of riding. I like the middle weights more, and my current bike is a BMW F800GS. It's quite versatile, and can slide around dirt road corners, handle heavy traffic well, and sustain highway speeds and more easily and in reasonable comfort. It has also been extremely reliable, and reasonably cheap to maintain. You can probably see it as a multi tool of the bike world...  :D

I've put 50000 kms on this one during the last 3 years:

The DR650 should be great for the trails. Light and simple. Enjoy! :drink:

PS: light is right on dirt...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:34:48 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 03:06:13 AM
Thanks for that vid Aloha!! :dd:

I've read that lighter bikes and not the greatest on the hwy.  The plan I have in my mind right now is to use this to go to work, which is only 12km each, and I'm on the road before traffic in the morning, and the same goes for when I get off work.  I really love the idea of being able to hit the trails too!  There are quite a few trails very close to me where it would be a blast to run this, and there are some that are too tight to run my Jeep.

Brock, the BMW is one fine looking bike!!  :drool:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 06:09:32 AM
Just found this and thought I would share. I really like this guys reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWfFzjkrXx_HyJVzbBmUvQ
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 05:34:26 PM
Just found this and thought I would share. I really like this guys reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWfFzjkrXx_HyJVzbBmUvQ
:tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:21 PM
I've been riding dual-sports/ adventure bikes for the last 16 years, as a daily commuter and also to have some fun on the dirt whenever the mood takes me (some days even between home and the office!). So you can call me a fan... :salute:

I love the big single cylinders, and had a few over the years (Honda XR600R, KTM 640 Adv, BMW 650 XChallenge). I also had a big BMW R1200GS for a while. The big GS was excellent on the road, but just too big and heavy for my type of riding. I like the middle weights more, and my current bike is a BMW F800GS. It's quite versatile, and can slide around dirt road corners, handle heavy traffic well, and sustain highway speeds and more easily and in reasonable comfort. It has also been extremely reliable, and reasonably cheap to maintain. You can probably see it as a multi tool of the bike world...  :D

I've put 50000 kms on this one during the last 3 years:

(Image removed from quote.)

The DR650 should be great for the trails. Light and simple. Enjoy! :drink:

PS: light is right on dirt...

That is a beauty- I have been lusting after a R1200GS for years.  Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:17 AM
A guy can absolutely dream!!

The KLR 650 is also on my radar.  Between that and the DR650, the KLR seems a bit more suited to on road driving, but not quite as good as the DR out of the box off-road. 

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:18 AM
Thread Necro!!!

How'd you go, Derek, get the licence and the DR650 yet? Dual sport bikes are great, you can ride anywhere there is a road regardless of whether it is sealed or unsealed. They are generally cheaper to repair if damaged. The number of DRs out there means good spares and support availability.

I'm still on the original tyres on my Husky, which means I don't get out as often as I should

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60331.msg1109516.html#msg1109516

I'd definitely consider a DR and probably would have bought one to replace my old 91 Yamaha XT600 if I hadn't taken the Terra for a test ride at my local bike shop and got a good deal. Not so cool that Husky stopped making the Terra when it was sold to KTM, but anyway.

Yamaha XT660R is another good option, and possibly better in comfort to the DR. I think the KLR has the most comfy seat of the big singles. I rode an XT660R for to weeks on the South Island of New Zealand in 2012 and it was an unforgettable trip

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 10:11:55 PM
No, didn't get either yet. :(   I really wanted to at least get my license this year, but the weekend courses booked up way faster than I ever thought they would.  They offer weekday classes too, but I can't miss work to take them.

I might be able to get an old Honda XR650 for dirt cheap as it needs some work.  I'm just waiting for the guy at work to decide if he wants to sell it, or fix it.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 12:10:58 PM
Hi,

I'm on a dual sport too. I use it everyday and go every where on it -  R1200 GSA

Plenty DR's here in Oz, they are good bikes.

Best advice I was once given on stuff to plan:

Pick a date and tell EVERYBODY about that and the date. Then try to get out of it, not so easy.  ;)

Good luck with your license.

Pete

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 12:48:02 PM
No, didn't get either yet. :(   I really wanted to at least get my license this year, but the weekend courses booked up way faster than I ever thought they would.  They offer weekday classes too, but I can't miss work to take them.

I might be able to get an old Honda XR650 for dirt cheap as it needs some work.  I'm just waiting for the guy at work to decide if he wants to sell it, or fix it.

I'd say to first rent a bike for a few weeks. That will give you an idea of how much you're going to use it and if it makes sense investing in buying one. You can try several models this way, too, before deciding.

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 01:29:42 PM
That's good advice for the most part, but I don't know of anywhere in Halifax (or surrounding areas) that rent bikes.  And, if there are any, it would probably cost more to rent one for a few weeks than just buying a cheap bike and seeing first hand.

There are always bikes available here (in Canada), even driveable ones for $500 or less.  If you want to experiment without much financial risk, it's always a good way to go.

BTW Derek, I'll be hauling my trailer back to Halifax in the next month or so, and I doubt there will be much on it, so if you find a bike in Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Edmundston, Fredericton, or Moncton and you want it hauled back just let me know.  My trailer was originally a bike trailer so there's no problems securing and hauling it for you.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:58 PM
Awesome Grant, thank you! I don't think I'll be finding anything, but good to know I have options. :tu:

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 05:15:06 AM
At least with a bought bike you can resell it for not much less than you paid for it if you don't ride it often enough.

Good luck getting on a course, do they have a cancellation waiting list for the weekends?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%