Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger or Victorinox

kosmo · 37 · 3301

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Wenger or Victorinox
on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:23 PM
I tend to like Victorinox knives more than Wengers.  I'm not quite sure why.  Wenger tools seem to be a little "clunkier", not as well finished than Victorinox knife tools.  However, Wenger seems to have been more innovative in tools offered.  I was going through the list of Wenger knives on SAKWiki the other evening and found some very interesting knives.  Especially in the 85mm size. What is your opinion?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+85mm
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Wenger or Victorinox
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:43 PM
Love them both but my true appreciation of Wengers is a direct result of this forum....  :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 03:40:38 PM
I disagree that Wenger is more innovative... I think the difference is that most Victorinox innovations are so well incorporated we see them as basics (like toothpick and tweezers but also the CT bit holder). I think the biggest difference is that Wenger made a lot of niche-products (Minathor, Bernina etc.)

When it comes down to choosing between the two I think you should focus on what tools you are going to need. Sure its nice that the Wenger Bernina has a seam opener, but do you need that? Probably the most used tools are the Blade and the scissors and there are some major differences:
Serrated vs. non-serrated scissors
Do you want a locking blade?

The CT-Bit-Holder (for me, that is the only Tool where the two brands really differ)
Do you need lots of different small bits? Torx?

Furthermore the overall shape is critical:
Do you like the evo-scales?

Me, I neither like the evo-scales nor the serrated scissors but use Torx frequently so I'm all Victorinox
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:43:46 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 03:43:00 PM
I am 50/50.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:43:39 PM
I like and carry both but Vic gets the edge due to stronger backsprings and louder audible snap when opening and closing.  You also get the bonus of being able to find 91mm vic scales easliy

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
I disagree that Wenger is more innovative... I think the difference is that most Victorinox innovations are so well incorporated we see them as basics (like toothpick and tweezers but also the CT bit holder). I think the biggest difference is that Wenger made a lot of niche-products (Minathor, Bernina etc.)

When it comes down to choosing between the two I think you should focus on what tools you are going to need. Sure its nice that the Wenger Bernina has a seam opener, but do you need that? Probably the most used tools are the Blade and the scissors and there are some major differences:

The CT-Bit-Holder (for me, that is the only Tool where the two brands really differ)

Me, I neither like the evo-scales nor the serrated scissors but use Torx frequently so I'm all Victorinox

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I found it funny you mentioned the seam opener, because I use one relatively often, and thought to myself recently that I would like to have that on my knife.

I don't like the Evo grips either.  They increase the size unnecessarily to me.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 03:51:47 PM

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I found it funny you mentioned the seam opener, because I use one relatively often, and thought to myself recently that I would like to have that on my knife.

I don't like the Evo grips either.  They increase the size unnecessarily to me.
Then get a Bernina Mini Spotlight, better choice than the Bernina 504

No, don't I want it... ;)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 04:19:17 PM
Love them both but my true appreciation of Wengers is a direct result of this forum....  :D

I'm with SAK GUY on this issue.

When I arrived here I owned 3 Wengers a Nomad,Monarch and a Tool Chest.Now I own 24 Wengers,genuine Wengers,not the new Wengernox aka Delemont Series.

I've located more genuine Wengers which I will buy in the coming weeks.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 05:14:30 PM

COOL!  I read about the Bernina 504, but those available are too expense.  This Mini Spotlight version might be reasonable enough to buy.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 05:19:19 PM

Amen!  When I first got on here I had no Wengers at all.  Now I have at least a dozen, I've honestly lost count..... :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:43 PM

COOL!  I read about the Bernina 504, but those available are too expense.  This Mini Spotlight version might be reasonable enough to buy.
Don't get me wrong the Bernina 504 is sweet, but it's not EDC material.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:10:07 PM

Amen!  When I first got on here I had no Wengers at all.  Now I have at least a dozen, I've honestly lost count..... :)

I agree. SAK Guy hit the nail on the head. I can go through periods where I'll only carry Wengers
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:46:51 PM

This wasn't meant to be a specific EDC question.  Could be EDC, could be collecting.  I have several knives I use around the house but don't have intention of EDC, except on rare needs or now maybe to participate in a celebrated month here on MTO.

us Offline sf_duke

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 07:05:45 PM
For me, I lean towards Wenger because they had the cigar scissors which Victorinox does not have.  I am glad that Vic decided to keep the implement and incorporate into their Delemont line, but still prefer the original Wenger cigar SAKs.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 07:13:44 PM
For me, I lean towards Wenger because they had the cigar scissors which Victorinox does not have.  I am glad that Vic decided to keep the implement and incorporate into their Delemont line, but still prefer the original Wenger cigar SAKs.

The Wenger cigar knives are awesome!!!!
AM4.JPG
* AM4.JPG (Filesize: 104.52 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 08:13:39 PM
+1  :2tu:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 08:16:18 PM
Piece of cake ... W + V  :D

:gimme:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 08:26:47 PM
Victorinox Cigar Cutter: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cigar+Cutter+74mm

Regarding Victorinox vs Wenger I won't name any favourites... Will just say that one of them is flawless, has perfect quality, exquisite design, great ergonomics, great price-quality ratio, resilient parts and hasn't gone bankrupt due to lousy sales...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 10:29:21 PM
I thought I remembered seeing a Victorinox cigar cutter, but I couldn't remember which model.  I have enjoyed a few cigars in the past, but stopped smoking now.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 10:43:39 PM
Whilst I like some of Wengers innovations (locking SD mainly) I much prefer Vics size, fit and finish, thicker blade, scissors and can opener.

I prefer the Wenger shield though......
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:01 PM
Victorinox. They need to lay off tucking electronic devices in the scales, though, and make Ecoline (nylon) scales more readily available. :poke:  :poke:  :poke:

I can only see Wenger's as a complement to my Vic SAKs.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline sf_duke

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 11:23:21 PM
Victorinox Cigar Cutter: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cigar+Cutter+74mm

The Vic version is a cigar punch, but the Wenger cigar scissors are preferred to those who like a straight guillotine cut.  I swear the cigar scissors on the Wenger SAKs never dull.  Love them!

us Offline sf_duke

Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 11:24:22 PM

+100 :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 11:35:18 PM
Victorinox. They need to lay off tucking electronic devices in the scales, though, and make Ecoline (nylon) scales more readily available. :poke:  :poke:  :poke:

I agree on the 91mm level, but the 58mm light is pretty sweet

This wasn't meant to be a specific EDC question.  Could be EDC, could be collecting.  I have several knives I use around the house but don't have intention of EDC, except on rare needs or now maybe to participate in a celebrated month here on MTO.
I'm primarily interested in users that's why the two go hand in hand for me.

I collect the odd Wengers but purely because they are odd (also, so far, my collection is the size of 3 SAKs ::)).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:36:26 PM by Etherealicer »

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 11:50:41 PM

I agree on the 91mm level, but the 58mm light is pretty sweet

If I can't wash it, I won't buy it. ;) I agree the newer light on the 58mm ones is tempting but I prefer T&T and a dedicated torch with no SAK blades on it. Ease of accidental activation and subsequent cell depletion only makes things worse for me.  :-\
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 12:55:13 AM
I'm late for the party I see...

Ok Victorinox or Wenger  :think:

At one time it would have been Vic all the way. They used to be original. Some of their past ideas although quirky were so radical. Obviously the Butane triplets, Auto-Tool, Sport Ratchet, Swiss Beat mp3 not to mention their ground breaking SwissTool & Spirit. Add to those their range of 91mm, 58mm and Alox and that's before we touch on Victorinox's 111mm SAKs.
However the problem for me is that there are just so many. Last figure I read was that Victorinox churns out 22,000,000 SAK's per year!!  :o

Wenger....What a brand!! You have to remind yourself that Wenger was genuine swiss too, stayed in production for 120yrs, their manufacturing output was 1/10th of victorinox. Yet some of their ideas will never be forgotten. The most radical has to be the Business Tool rumoured to have sealed Wengers fate. But Wenger never did anything in half measures.
The Giant Tool is without peers, the Titanium range  was totally radical, as were the Bernina models, the Porsche collection, locking driver, locking 85mm blade, serrated scissors, Evowood, EvoGrip, Softtouch.... Mini Grips, Swiss Grips, Alox, Cigar cutter, Golf Tool, Motorist, Mountain Bike... Let's move on to the 120mm Rangers, later the 130mm Rangers not forgetting the RangerGrips either..... Then there's scale choice Evo Grip, Evo Wood, Blaze, Snow.......on and on and on.

But now they're gone. So your left with no choice other than Victorionox or their equivalent Chinese knock off.
But don't fret with another 22,000,000 due out in the next 12 months I'm sure there's more than enough to go round.

Be original and get yourself a Wenger  :tu:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:45 AM
Victorinox: generally prefer the design and build; quality feel. 91mm and 111mm perfect sizes for saks. Modern 111mm models (soldier, oht etc) king with superb one hand opening and phenomenal strength. Cybertool bit set amazing.

Wenger: like several details; 85mm lock blade; the nail file; better can opener; evogrip feel; heavy duty scissors and pliers (130mm). Some tools clunky and unconvincing (eg. compass). Preferred mix of tools in several 85mm models compared to Victorinox 91mm.

On any given day; it depends how I feel :)

wales Offline Simplon

Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:48 PM
Victorinox only for me. I've never been a fan of the Wenger product.
Simplon.
Now where did I leave my knife?

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:20 PM
I disagree that Wenger is more innovative .......... I think the biggest difference is that Wenger made a lot of niche-products (Minathor, Bernina etc.)

How can you possibly say that Mr. E ?  ???

Let's look at the facts:

Here are the Wenger ...... dare I say it? ...... Innovations:
  • As you say the niche products: The Minathor; The Beria; Watchmaker; that Oboe/Clarinet reed sharpener; even the loo roll dispenser opener ......
  • Then there are the sports products: Roller blader; Skier; Snowboarder; Cyclist Tools; did they do a Skateboarder?? ......
  • Then the scale innovations: Evo; Evogrip; EvoWood; Snife; Softtouch; Blackout; Realtree Camo collaborations ......
  • Then the operational innovations: Security lock and locking screwdriver on small knives; brilliant liner lock button on the Rangers.....
  • Then tool innovations: Decent, or at least large, pliers on small and large knives; big scissors; cigar scissors; self sharpening scissors; nail clippers; 1/4" bit drivers - many types .....
  • Then the partnerships: Mike Horn, Allinghi, Ueli Steck; Porsche; Patagonia Race .......
  • Then the model innovations: Eg The large Rangers - I do believe these are innovative knives.....
  • And that's before we even start on items like the Business Tool or the Giant  !!
I have left lots of dots - I am not a Wenger expert (although I am a fan) and have not trawled the Wikki - These are all just off the top of my head - I know there are more

Now let's look at Victorinox
What new tools have they introduced in the last 20 years ....... Not a lot!!
  • The Cybertool - Yep it's great, even brilliant - And innovative - That was 16 years or so ago
  • The Rescue Tool - Again a great and effective product ..
  • Any more takers?? ....... Not so many - I think - Maybe a few scale tools (watches and timers etc)
  • Their 'special' scales (58mm) are so boring they have had to out source their design to the general public  ;) 
  • And I don't think you can call special editions or different coloured scales (eg alox) innovations ??   
  • Hmm - As I am writing this my Vic list is getting longer than I thought!! The Swiss Card - That was very innovative
  • OK Damascus blades? Yep - Nice - Although if you believe Swiss Bianco - It took him years to convince them to do this

OK - So I have been a little one sided - And don't get me wrong - I love Victorinox and their fabulous, top quality products
And regarding Wenger and all their innovations .....
- Do you like or use them? - Are they applicable to the mass market?  - Were all these tools and products sound business investments/decisions? ...... Probably not on all counts .....  :(

But one thing you cannot say is that Wenger is not innovative, or equally innovative when compared to the very conservative, if not even boring, Victorinox !!
.... And on all counts you can say Wenger produced great and often ingenious and certainly highly innovative designs

Boom - There you go - That's my hand grenade !   :hatsoff: :D

What say you all ?? ???

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:14 PM
I disagree that Wenger is more innovative .......... I think the biggest difference is that Wenger made a lot of niche-products (Minathor, Bernina etc.)

How can you possibly say that Mr. E ?  ???

Let's look at the facts:

Here are the Wenger ...... dare I say it? ...... Innovations:
  • As you say the niche products: The Minathor; The Beria; Watchmaker; that Oboe/Clarinet reed sharpener; even the loo roll dispenser opener ......
  • Then there are the sports products: Roller blader; Skier; Snowboarder; Cyclist Tools; did they do a Skateboarder?? ......
  • Then the scale innovations: Evo; Evogrip; EvoWood; Snife; Softtouch; Blackout; Realtree Camo collaborations ......
  • Then the operational innovations: Security lock and locking screwdriver on small knives; brilliant liner lock button on the Rangers.....
  • Then tool innovations: Decent, or at least large, pliers on small and large knives; big scissors; cigar scissors; self sharpening scissors; nail clippers; 1/4" bit drivers - many types .....
  • Then the partnerships: Mike Horn, Allinghi, Ueli Steck; Porsche; Patagonia Race .......
  • Then the model innovations: Eg The large Rangers - I do believe these are innovative knives.....
  • And that's before we even start on items like the Business Tool or the Giant  !!
I have left lots of dots - I am not a Wenger expert (although I am a fan) and have not trawled the Wikki - These are all just off the top of my head - I know there are more

Now let's look at Victorinox
What new tools have they introduced in the last 20 years ....... Not a lot!!
  • The Cybertool - Yep it's great, even brilliant - And innovative - That was 16 years or so ago
  • The Rescue Tool - Again a great and effective product ..
  • Any more takers?? ....... Not so many - I think - Maybe a few scale tools (watches and timers etc)
  • Their 'special' scales (58mm) are so boring they have had to out source their design to the general public  ;) 
  • And I don't think you can call special editions or different coloured scales (eg alox) innovations ??   
  • Hmm - As I am writing this my Vic list is getting longer than I thought!! The Swiss Card - That was very innovative
  • OK Damascus blades? Yep - Nice - Although if you believe Swiss Bianco - It took him years to convince them to do this

OK - So I have been a little one sided - And don't get me wrong - I love Victorinox and their fabulous, top quality products
And regarding Wenger and all their innovations .....
- Do you like or use them? - Are they applicable to the mass market?  - Were all these tools and products sound business investments/decisions? ...... Probably not on all counts .....  :(

But one thing you cannot say is that Wenger is not innovative, or equally innovative when compared to the very conservative, if not even boring, Victorinox !!
.... And on all counts you can say Wenger produced great and often ingenious and certainly highly innovative designs

Boom - There you go - That's my hand grenade !   :hatsoff: :D

What say you all ?? ???

I would agree.  As innovative doesn't necessarily mean successful.  This may have been part of the downfall of Wenger; not concentrating on the mass market.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88