Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you EDC your collector´s pieces...???

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Do you EDC your collector´s pieces...???
Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:06 PM
To quote the High Priest of Flickdom: there's no such thing as too pretty to carry; only too pretty not to carry!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 01:43:06 AM
I find it bizzare almost arrogant those who abuse something special because they can.

Tosh, I completely respect and understand your position on your collection - However this is taking it too far  :o

Re - Arrogance: I think I know what you mean.
You are talking about people who have more money than sense, and/or so much money, they do not know what to do with it!
It is like the phenomenally rich people in London, spending thousands on a meal out. And BTW these people will spend four figures on a bottle of wine and drink it!! Or maybe pop stars who wreck hotel rooms??

I really don't think this applies to anyone here, or someone who uses a rare or precious tool.

Re - Abuse: 'Use' is not 'abuse'
Come on? Carrying a Damascus bladed tool in your pocket for a day, snipping some paper and cutting up an apple, even turning a screw, is hardly abuse.

I think it is all down to what 50' wisely said:

It all comes down to how you view them, collectors item or tool.

I would so love to have your TL signed Genus  :ahhh
(I was really hoping to win the TL signed Hybrid last year in the anniversary funding draw  :().
But if I did have either - I could not resist a brief (and maybe only one) pruning excursion into the garden - to use it for what it was designed for!!  :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 05:28:22 AM
I believe it all comes down to what the individual wants to do.

If someone wants to use a rare MT that I regard as a collectors item then that is their undeniable right. I might not agree with them and I might not like it, but I have no right to try to stop them or condemn them for it.  Describing it as a "user" may be their way of justifying the expense of buying it, or may be just their attitude to their collection. 

If someone else wants to preserve an MT they regard as precious, and not risk any damage to it then that is also their undeniable right.

The same thing applies (on a MUCH more expensive scale) with old valuable cars.  Some people enjoy racing their multi-million dollar old Ferraris and Porsches etc, risking mechanical and crash damage in the process.  Other owners trailer their cars to concours events and never really drive them.  Different strokes for different folks.

What is wrong is trying to force your own personal opinion on to other people, and that is where problems can start, particularly if there are any personal attacks (look at some of the recent unpleasantness here on MTo re sport hunting for a good example of what can happen). 

"Live and let live" is a motto I try to follow (unless it actually does directly affect me personally).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:29:51 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
I find it bizzare almost arrogant those who abuse something special because they can.

Tosh, I completely respect and understand your position on your collection - However this is taking it too far  :o

Re - Arrogance: I think I know what you mean.
You are talking about people who have more money than sense, and/or so much money, they do not know what to do with it!
It is like the phenomenally rich people in London, spending thousands on a meal out. And BTW these people will spend four figures on a bottle of wine and drink it!! Or maybe pop stars who wreck hotel rooms??

I really don't think this applies to anyone here, or someone who uses a rare or precious tool.

Re - Abuse: 'Use' is not 'abuse'
Come on? Carrying a Damascus bladed tool in your pocket for a day, snipping some paper and cutting up an apple, even turning a screw, is hardly abuse.

I think it is all down to what 50' wisely said:

It all comes down to how you view them, collectors item or tool.

I would so love to have your TL signed Genus  :ahhh
(I was really hoping to win the TL signed Hybrid last year in the anniversary funding draw  :().
But if I did have either - I could not resist a brief (and maybe only one) pruning excursion into the garden - to use it for what it was designed for!!  :tu:

Sorry Huntsman  :tu: - I wasn't lecturing anybody, merely stating my views.

I can think of a few members who think the complete opposite to me and fair do's. But that doesn't mean I agree but that's my own personal view and that is what was asked.
I remember watching a documentary about the late great Henri Cartier Bresson - one of the founders of the Magnum photo agency. Showing the interviewer where the negatives were stored, he referred to it as a morgue and in some bizzare way that's in a way how I view my collection. Soulless and lifeless but preserved. Pretty depressing I agree, but I can't get away from the connection to HCB's comment. By using them they come alive, develop character but kept preserved they're nothing more than specimens.

Christ, I need to get out and go for a walk - lol  :rofl:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 05:09:51 PM
This thread has really got me thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I have a small dislike for collector's items. Special edition Pioneers/Farmers in limited runs don't appeal to me anymore. I kind of wish they would only make the silver ones and charge the minimum regardless of colour.

I want something that is useable, even if I happen to have it stowed away as a 'backup' on 'stand-by'. You can keep your gold-plated TTC Wave and give me a stainless one any day :salute:

That said, while I don't agree with some of their business practices, Victorinox is probably my favorite company. It's a love/hate relationship but as it so happens, they do produce some of my favorite things and have for years. I just wish they'd get out of the practice of trying to make 'collectibles'.
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:47 PM
For the most part, I'd agree on items where it's only the colour that makes it collectible, but again I'm approaching this from a tool user perspective. In use, a red one is no different to a blue one  :D so from that angle, they don't really appeal. This is why I've used stuff that is discontinued (using tools that would make the true collectors cringe) because they carry different, and are different in use, and therefore there is something new to be experienced from putting them into action.

Sometimes you can find that those older, more obscure and yes rare and sought after tools, offer a benefit in use or carry which the newer tools do not.

There are exceptions though. A Spirit RT vs X. Only differences are a coating an an etch, but for some reason it is much more appealling. However for me personally, I still need to do more than just own it. The fun and value of ownership comes from use

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 05:35:24 PM
My approach is that I am merely the current minder/custodian for my collectibles, looking after them and keeping them safe for future generations to enjoy when I either no longer want them or am dead and gone.

I have a totally different mindset for my users - they are just like all the rest of my tools, something to help me get a task done (but even then I have a strong preference to only ask a tool to work within it's limits, I hate abusing tools and will avoid it wherever possible).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 06:15:01 PM
This thread has really got me thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I have a small dislike for collector's items.

I want something that is useable, even if I happen to have it stowed away as a 'backup' on 'stand-by'. You can keep your gold-plated TTC Wave and give me a stainless one any day :salute:

Thing is I'm not remotely interested in anything TTC churn out and don't view them in the slightest collectible but merely a third party aftermarket mod - hence why I haven't gone for any of their offerings.
Unless it's original as the day it was manufacturered or the manufacturer did the modification I'm simply not interested - but I guess that's where I draw my own line.

Also I think there is a distinctive difference in what is often deemed "collectible" and "collection"

If I've decided to collect the various mp600 models then each model is required in order to complete the collection - doesn't mean that they are collectible in any way whatsoever. And the value you place upon it is only justified  in it's importance in the collection it resides in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:30:28 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:24 PM
This thread has really got me thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I have a small dislike for collector's items.

Thing is I'm not remotely interested in anything TTC churn out and don't view them in the slightest collectible but merely an aftermarket mod.
Unless it's original as the day it left it's manufacturer or the manufacturer did the mod I'm simply not interested - but I guess that's where I draw my own line.
You raise another good issue: I too have a problem with aftermarket mods. As much as I like their Awl, it just isn't original to the tool. Oddly enough, the manufacturer's warranty coverage is important to me even if I don't use it. Who's to say how long TTC will be in business to support their mods?
SAW

us Offline David

Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:36 AM
I have pure collector pieces, pure user pieces and "collector/user pieces".

The Collector/users don't do serious farm duty but do get carried to work and out on the town.  Farm use tools have no chance of retaining their original beauty.  None.  So if you're a tool and get relegated to farm duty, be prepared.  :ahhh

1+
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD