Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy-duty MT Comparison video

Smaug · 15 · 1720

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Heavy-duty MT Comparison video
on: August 31, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
(continuing my earlier series started with the medium-duty ones)

It's a bit long, but I guess that's how I roll. Also, it is the kind of video I enjoy watching when I have some "me time" after the family has gone to sleep, so maybe some of you will enjoy it too.

I also uploaded my Top 5 and Top 10 SAKs videos. (links in the SAK sub-forum, for those interested)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Heavy-duty MT Comparison video
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:30 PM
Took me a while to watch this since youtube seems to hate me today.

Very nice video and I don't mind the length since you've covered almost every major tool that would fit that category.
Speaking of category, I personally would count the wave as medium duty but you did say it's in between and I can see the arguments for that.

One point I would like to hear more elaboration on is the execution of flathead screwdrivers. Obviously all companies have differences here and considering that there is a good number of sizes of the screws, why do you find that LM puts the best ones on their tools (plural since I believe that ST300 and Surge have the same ones)?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
One point I would like to hear more elaboration on is the execution of flathead screwdrivers. Obviously all companies have differences here and considering that there is a good number of sizes of the screws, why do you find that LM puts the best ones on their tools (plural since I believe that ST300 and Surge have the same ones)?

The edges and corners of the Leatherman flat head drivers are left sharp. The result is that if the angle at which you're pressing the screwdriver down into the screw head varies a bit from 90°, those corners will dig in a bit before the driver slips out of its slot.

The SOG and Vic polished and rounded these corners off, so one has to be more mindful of that angle.

Gerber and Leatherman left them sharp, so they actually work better.

A side benefit of that is that they work better as mini-scrapers too! (this time, because of the sharper edges, not corners)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline Dem

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:15:10 PM
Great video!

Kind of embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize the wire strippers on the Vic chisel tool were meant to be used in combination. Whoops. Learn something new every day, I guess :).

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:07 PM
Great video!

Kind of embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize the wire strippers on the Vic chisel tool were meant to be used in combination. Whoops. Learn something new every day, I guess :).

Hehe, no need for embarrassment. That tool has changed since the original Swisstool shown there to the newest Spirit.

On the Spirit, that same tool has a sharpened corner for cutting cable jacketing along its length, and the round cutter part has a much larger arc, for cutting cable jacketing around its circumference. Then, the V-shaped one for stripping individual wires.

On this old Swisstool, the corner is not sharpened, and the arc-shaped cutter is not big enough to cut cable jacketing; only individual wire insulation. (you can see the difference if you look at my Medium Duty multitool comparison video)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:53 PM
Speaking of category, I personally would count the wave as medium duty but you did say it's in between and I can see the arguments for that.
When I did the medium duty vid, the Wave was the heaviest by a big margin, and a notably thicker too.

In this company, it's light compared to the Surge or Swisstool, and weighs about the same as the Gerber. Its physical SIZE is smaller though. So yeah, I was on the fence, and so I included it in both classes as a possibility.

Took me a while to watch this since youtube seems to hate me today.

No hate from YouTube, I think. It's just that it's a long video, and shot in HD. That's a lot of GB to download.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:59:32 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:01:01 AM
Nice video and review. 

I just have a couple of comments or maybe I should say questions. 

First of all, at the beginning you state that the Gerber is USA made but isnt the Leatherman also USA made?

Second, just a comment but I would not consider the Wave heavy duty at all and I am glad to see that you didn't actually review it in this video.

Last by not least!  The Surge price wise can be had for less than $100 all day long usually and with the replaceable cutters.  If you have the latest Surge, what are your thoughts on the plier's head with those replaceable cutters?

Curious too so I have to ask but if you could have only one MT, which one would it be?

Thx.
Mike

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:10:05 AM
Nice vid  :tu: I dipped in and out while doing other stuff, so I might have forgotten something, but I did want to make a couple of points if I may  :)

The blade exchanger that you say is exclusive to the Surge, was originated on, and is still available on, some of the MP600 models (also available on the MP800)

Nice to see the pliers ergonomics being addressed  :D

Finally, and this isn't really angled at you that much, the whole heavy duty vs medium duty thing is a total misnomer. It started with Nutnfancy who in his infinite 1960s Batman sound effect making wisdom, classifying anything heavy as heavy duty, and anything of medium weight as medium duty  ::) Very misleading in my opinion, and unfortunately it started a trend of misclassification. Far more accurate to describe them as large frame and medium frame. Is the Surge really heavier duty than the Wave? The Powerlock heavier duty than the Powerplier? The Swisstool heavier duty than the Spirit?

No, not really, and in some cases not at all!

It may be the case that some individual components are heavier duty such as the Surge's large driver compared to the Wave, but not the entire tool. On the SOGs, the internal components are identical! Most of the ones on the MP600 and MP400 are the same too. The Spirit's scissors are actually heavier duty than the Swisstool! Even on the pliers, you can't break the 4" pliers with grip strength unless there's a manufacturing defect, and the weak link is how much force you can exert with your hands. A larger frame tool may add more leverage, but not if the ergonomics take your hands outside their efficient zone, so the one you can exert the most force with, will be the ones that fit your hand better. The rest is just perception and psychology, and folks listening to some bloke on the internet who knows a lot less about multitools than we do  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:30:16 AM
i think you did better than nutnfancy
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:29:42 AM
First of all, at the beginning you state that the Gerber is USA made but isnt the Leatherman also USA made?
Nope. Different parts from different places, IIRC.

Last by not least!  The Surge price wise can be had for less than $100 all day long usually and with the replaceable cutters.
New retail?

If you have the latest Surge, what are your thoughts on the plier's head with those replaceable cutters?
I don't, I have the old one. BUT I had the Rebar with replaceable cutters. I think they're a great idea, but I'm a little skeptical about whether they're as strong as the ones without replaceable cutters, due to the amount of pliers head material that is cut out and moved to the back of the jaws to make room for the replaceable cutters.

Curious too so I have to ask but if you could have only one MT, which one would it be?
Ooh, that's a tough call. Explorer Plus.

I'm not a big enough guy for these big boys to be my favorite. My hands are too small for the Surge or Swisstool.

If I went back to a more hands-on technical job, I'd probably pick the Wave with a bit card, extension, and small-but-powerful LED light to ride in the sheath alongside the Wave. I actually prefer the Spirit X, but the bits and extension of the Wave just add too much versatility to ignore.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:39:45 AM

The blade exchanger that you say is exclusive to the Surge, was originated on, and is still available on, some of the MP600 models (also available on the MP800)
Thanks for setting me straight there.

Finally, and this isn't really angled at you that much, the whole heavy duty vs medium duty thing is a total misnomer.

We'll have to disagree there. To me, longer handles and bigger pliers head = heavier duty. (Since these tools are plier-based) More leverage on the handles means more squeezing force = heavier duty. NOT being as heavy duty isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

I guess by that rationale, the Powerlock is the most heavy duty.

Point taken that the other tools aren't always heavier duty to match.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:44:38 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:00 AM
i think you did better than nutnfancy
Is that a compliment, or damning with faint praise?

Just kidding; thanks for the kind words. :-)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:40:17 AM

The edges and corners of the Leatherman flat head drivers are left sharp. The result is that if the angle at which you're pressing the screwdriver down into the screw head varies a bit from 90°, those corners will dig in a bit before the driver slips out of its slot.

The SOG and Vic polished and rounded these corners off, so one has to be more mindful of that angle.

Gerber and Leatherman left them sharp, so they actually work better.

A side benefit of that is that they work better as mini-scrapers too! (this time, because of the sharper edges, not corners)

Interesting, never thought of that  :tu:
I wonder if it was intentional or if it is a fortunate result of skipping some processing step?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 06:38:55 PM
Nope. Different parts from different places, IIRC.

Last by not least!  The Surge price wise can be had for less than $100 all day long usually and with the replaceable cutters.
New retail?

If you have the latest Surge, what are your thoughts on the plier's head with those replaceable cutters?
I don't, I have the old one. BUT I had the Rebar with replaceable cutters. I think they're a great idea, but I'm a little skeptical about whether they're as strong as the ones without replaceable cutters, due to the amount of pliers head material that is cut out and moved to the back of the jaws to make room for the replaceable cutters.

Ooh, that's a tough call. Explorer Plus.

I'm not a big enough guy for these big boys to be my favorite. My hands are too small for the Surge or Swisstool.

If I went back to a more hands-on technical job, I'd probably pick the Wave with a bit card, extension, and small-but-powerful LED light to ride in the sheath alongside the Wave. I actually prefer the Spirit X, but the bits and extension of the Wave just add too much versatility to ignore.

I didnt know that Leatherman wasn't made entirely in the US.  That's I don't like.

Not sure about retail pricing but I see them on Ebay and other places alot for around the $85 mark.

I have one of the newest models and I see what you are saying regarding the cutaway done for the cutters.  They also interfere some with the plier's head as far as the area used for gripping a nut.

I am surprised with your selection of the Explorer Plus, not that it is a bad choice but just figured that you would pick out something bigger like a Leatherman or the CT.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Explorer alot as well as the Ranger, which are my two fav saks.  I have been thinking about going to a Handyman instead of the Ranger as it adds plier's without too much more bulk.  I don't know if I would put it on a P-7 clip or have to belt pouch it.  I don't like the idea of having to belt pouch a sak though!

Thx. for the comments!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:08 AM
Sir Mike, I kind of go through phases. I have a desk job (electrical engineer) and in reality, I only have need of a pliers-based MT on the weekends. It doesn't stop me from keeping them stashed everywhere and taking my drawer one to the lab when I'm needed now and then.

I go into denial and carry them sometimes on my belt. Then, after a few days, I say to myself: "Self, what the hell are you trying to prove ?" and go back to a SAK (and reality) for a while.

On my more active weekends, I sometimes belt carry one.

So most of the time, a SAK is enough, hence my Explorer choice.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79