Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Companion - I ordered cheap, I received amazing!

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Back in 2017, I decided it was time I added a Morakniv to my small collection. The price was right at only a little over $13.

From all the videos I watched and reviews I read, I knew it was no slacker, but the performance I've received from this little knife has far exceeded my expectations.

I ordered the stainless version as I didn't want to contend with rust.

Not only does this one come with me on virtually every camping and hiking trip, but it is the knife that is called into regular kitchen duty when I hear the famous words, "Could I use that really sharp knife of yours?"

One of the best mods I made was to the sheath. The paracord loops you can see attached to the belt clip are what I use to pass my belt through. They allow the sheath to move freely when I'm out and about in the woods. Also, when I sit, the sheath easily moves out of the way and doesn't bind against the log or ground I'm sitting on.

I also really appreciate the orange loop you see that is passing through the end of the handle. This really helps when I'm processing a deer or any other task the knife is called to perform by allowing me to let go of the knife and then bring it back into my hand when needed.

I'm not sure what I was doing when I took this picture. I know mowing was a part of that day. It often is used to prune branches and vines.

I thought I was just ordering a cheap knife, but I received something amazing and exceptionally capable.

* moracompanion.jpg (Filesize: 131.96 KB)
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Mora Companion - I ordered cheap, I received amazing!
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 04:18:18 PM
I thought it was all hype when I first began to hear about these knives.  I know certain circles of folks can become very passionate about such things.  This is an affordable knife not a cheap one.  I have come to love the classic moras myself.  Great testimony and great pic of your knife.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 04:31:16 PM
I thought it was all hype when I first began to hear about these knives.  I know certain circles of folks can become very passionate about such things.  This is an affordable knife not a cheap one.  I have come to love the classic moras myself.  Great testimony and great pic of your knife.   

Thanks!

The classic mora fits right in with Opinel knives. A little wood and a little metal. Both simple, yet amazing knives. And the steel is great!

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 06:33:15 PM
Thanks for sharing!   I've been looking for a new fixed blade bushcraft knife, and though I've heard a lot about these in the past, I'd forgotten about them.  After reading your experience with it, it's back on my list.
- Terry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 07:31:30 PM
Moras are the ultimate users. I have one or two, and the only reason I don't have more is my dad has a bunch of them and I know they'll outlive both of us. I just got him a Garberg, which is spendier than a Companion, but still a nice knife.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 07:35:40 PM
Moras are the ultimate users. I have one or two, and the only reason I don't have more is my dad has a bunch of them and I know they'll outlive both of us. I just got him a Garberg, which is spendier than a Companion, but still a nice knife.

Yeah, the companion is like a budget Garberg. Both great. Even the 511 is a good one, I just like the ergonomics of the companion over the 511.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 10:43:20 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

I am still using an older 511, the handle doesn't go tacky like the Robust has.
The Robust has done a ton of work and it's been fun to use however the rubbery bits are a negative for me.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 02:03:01 AM
Awarded.   :tu:

I am still using an older 511, the handle doesn't go tacky like the Robust has.
The Robust has done a ton of work and it's been fun to use however the rubbery bits are a negative for me.

Thank you.

I remember when I was on the hunt for a bushcraft knife. I almost got the 511. The price of the companion came down a bit so I went for it instead.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%