Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flame On! - April Firestarting Challenge

us Offline SubMY

Re: Flame On! - April Firestarting Challenge
Reply #450 on: April 26, 2024, 08:21:36 AM
Day 24 of 30

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I never really considered the larger tenacious and Rescilence knives, but after trying a smaller persistence when I need free shipping I'm now thinking I've been missing out haha

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #451 on: April 26, 2024, 10:43:08 AM
Day 26
I really appreciate these transparent lighters.

* 20240426_184101.jpg (Filesize: 90.58 KB)

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #452 on: April 26, 2024, 10:46:53 AM
Is it because it is not multi purpose like some other utility knife?
I think the popluarity of a certain youtube video does bring a lot of attention to the Millwaukee utility knife in the past years, and I still have yet to get one.

It's supposed to be small, but it's really thick, and extremely heavy. And it's not as well-made as the regular Fiskars utility knife. This one has a lot of play when closed and when opened. But the pivot is not a screw I can tighten to reduce the play.
The Gerber EAB is miles better than this, if you're looking for a small folding utility knife.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #453 on: April 26, 2024, 07:50:34 PM
Day 26

I tried starting fire with this 8 W2 leds Hanklight (approximately 7000-8000 lumens?), but wasn't successful.  I have seen it done on YT in the past, and my wild guess is the relative humidity is usually really high where I live and it's been raining for the past few days, so it's even harder to make it lit.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #454 on: April 26, 2024, 07:52:30 PM
It's supposed to be small, but it's really thick, and extremely heavy. And it's not as well-made as the regular Fiskars utility knife. This one has a lot of play when closed and when opened. But the pivot is not a screw I can tighten to reduce the play.
The Gerber EAB is miles better than this, if you're looking for a small folding utility knife.
Thanks for the feedback, if I were to get one, I am thinking maybe the Milwaukee one?  It looks kinda promising, not super heavy and has a small 1/4 bit adapter which is quite handy.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #455 on: April 26, 2024, 07:55:29 PM
I carry mine in a Ziploc bag with the rest of my fire kit, so that keeps everything dry.
Thanks for chiming in, Ziploc bag is definitely a great rainproof/waterproof solution for anything outdoor.

Day 25

Smart move Nate, the test confirms that the striker is completely destroyed when wet. I would have thought it would be more durable like wet/dry sandpaper.    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Carrying a dry strip inside the container is a good move, and sometimes I do miss those 'strike anywhere' matches, which I bet it will work even with a MT or SAK file...

us Offline Enginears

Reply #456 on: April 26, 2024, 09:00:09 PM
Day 26

Strike anywhere would be nice.. sometimes strike nowhere works too.

IMG_6887-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6887-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 148.65 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #457 on: April 26, 2024, 09:19:49 PM
Day 26

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried starting fire with this 8 W2 leds Hanklight (approximately 7000-8000 lumens?), but wasn't successful.  I have seen it done on YT in the past, and my wild guess is the relative humidity is usually really high where I live and it's been raining for the past few days, so it's even harder to make it lit.
That light looks very floody.  My first thought would be that you may have enough output power, but need a way to focus the beam.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #458 on: April 26, 2024, 10:33:22 PM

day 26:

hoping to get a chance to try these 2 out over the weekend

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%